Melee training in Tegensai

Iuchi Prashant

Re: Melee training in Tegensai

Post by Iuchi Prashant » Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:26 am

"That... Reminds me of my Utaku-trained Iajutsu sensei, washamo Nesrin!", Prash says, chuckling.

He shakes his head and tries to focus again. "Well, let's see!", he says as he concentrates on the Moto... And seems to leave him ample space for a hit of his own.
Adult name: Iuchi Prashstam
Unicorn Clan * Shugenja/Artisan * "Pu-ra-what?" * Ascetic * Friendly smile * Monk-y

Honor: Exceptional * Status:1 * Glory:2.9 * Infamy: 0.5 * Topaz Pt: 211 (End D5)
Items: Purple/gray robes, sandals, trinket satchel, copy of the Tao, stone with 'cup' kanji.
Description Pt2
Theme
Speaking in Tegensai
Speaking in Ujik

Utaku Nesrin

Post by Utaku Nesrin » Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:10 pm

Nesrin bites her tongue, not wanting to interrupt the tense part of the duel with idle chatter.

After a long moment, she sits down, hands beneath her, resisting the urge to make distracting faces as they stare at one another.
Unicorn Clan * Bushi * Battle Maiden * Honest and Fair * Hard to pronounce name
Honor: A Soul Above Question * Status: 1 * Glory: 3

Description

"Every day is a journey, and the journey itself home" -Bashō
Speaking Tegensai

Moto Ichiro

Post by Moto Ichiro » Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:53 pm

Ichiro smiles at Nesrin and Prash as they share anecdotes and settles in to focus on what is at hand his hand on the bokken he studies his opponent. He hadn't been lying when he said he didn't know much about dueling but he did his best to study Prash and see what he could learn. The Luchi seemed to hesitate or maybe Ichiro was just faster, hard to tell but his bokken came out and tapped the other boy on the shoulder.
Unicorn Clan • Moto • Large • Confident * bushi
Honor: As Expected | Status: 2.0 | Glory: 3.2
Gear: Sturdy Clothing, Animal hide cloak

Zurui lizard pet TP: 254
speaking: Ujik, Mekhem, Senpet

Utaku Nesrin

Post by Utaku Nesrin » Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:34 pm

Nesrin leaps up with a small cheer as the strike flashes out. "Ha, so quick! Your form's more skirmish than duel, but you're fast enough to make up for that I think."

"You're thinking too hard washamo Prashant. When the time comes, there's no thought, or you're too slow." She hadn't really paid attention as they slipped into using given names. But it felt appropriate to the informal and relaxed 'training'.

She steps up, forming a triangle with the two boys, facing Ichiro. "My turn? I've only a bit of training, but that still might not help with your speed."

Description

Speaking Tegensai

Moto Ichiro

Post by Moto Ichiro » Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:16 pm

Ichiro chuckles at the compliment "Nah Washamo Prashant was just a little slower than me or distracted by thinking too much I'm sure if you have a bit of training you'll have the edge on me Washamo Nesrin." he said smiling as he settled down into his stance across from her.

Utaku Nesrin

Post by Utaku Nesrin » Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:39 pm

"Maybe, but with your reach? We could move at the same time and you'll still hit me first."

Regardless, she settles into her own stance, and focuses on her breathing to try finding that quiet place where she can notice everything without thinking about it. That's always been a difficult part as her mind races around noting the Moto boy's stance and which way the breeze is moving his hair and just what shade his eyes are...

In the end, finding the precise moment is less important than making sure to act at all, so properly focused or not, her blade sweeps out low as she tries to avoid the reach she'd mentioned.

Description

Speaking Tegensai

Iuchi Prashant

Post by Iuchi Prashant » Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:20 am

Prash seems slightly frustrated when the Moto hits him, but then grins and taps the Moto's shoulder.

"Ah! Second loss today. Good going washamo Ichiro! I definitely need some more practice..."

He then looks as Nesrin smiling warmly "or more likely, as washamo Nesrin says, I need to think less! Too much study and too little action doesn't do it, you're right!"

He then sits down, stretching - and quite obviously happy - to watch the others' duel.
Unicorn Clan * Shugenja/Artisan * "Pu-ra-what?" * Ascetic * Friendly smile * Monk-y

Honor: Exceptional * Status:1 * Glory:2.9 * Infamy: 0.5 * Topaz Pt: 211 (End D5)
Items: Purple/gray robes, sandals, trinket satchel, copy of the Tao, stone with 'cup' kanji.
Description Pt2
Theme
Speaking in Tegensai
Speaking in Ujik

Moto Ichiro

Post by Moto Ichiro » Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:06 pm

Utaku Nesrin wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:39 pm
"Maybe, but with your reach? We could move at the same time and you'll still hit me first."

Regardless, she settles into her own stance, and focuses on her breathing to try finding that quiet place where she can notice everything without thinking about it. That's always been a difficult part as her mind races around noting the Moto boy's stance and which way the breeze is moving his hair and just what shade his eyes are...

In the end, finding the precise moment is less important than making sure to act at all, so properly focused or not, her blade sweeps out low as she tries to avoid the reach she'd mentioned.
He was pretty quick for a guy of his size and his arms were longer than Nesrin's but the training she had, little as it was was enough to make a difference as she caught his in the ribs tapping him before he got her arm.

He dropped hi bokken to his side and bowed with a smile "A little training goes a long way Washamo Nesrin."

Utaku Nesrin

Post by Utaku Nesrin » Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:28 pm

Moto Ichiro wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:06 pm
He was pretty quick for a guy of his size and his arms were longer than Nesrin's but the training she had, little as it was was enough to make a difference as she caught his in the ribs tapping him before he got her arm.

He dropped hi bokken to his side and bowed with a smile "A little training goes a long way Washamo Nesrin."
Nesrin stepped back, blade down and bowed as well, with a little more bounce than was proper in a bow. She could almost pretend she was back goofing off with friends at home just over a hill so they couldn't be called over for chores.

"I guess it does! You have no idea how great it is to know that days of repeating strikes over and over again have done some good. It's also way more fun facing a person, and not a post, so thanks for that. With your speed, I expect you could be a really good duelist, if you wanted to."

"Hmm...I guess then we're trying with yäktekertte?"

Description

Speaking Tegensai

Iuchi Prashant

Post by Iuchi Prashant » Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:29 am

Prash was clearly excited as he saw the two springing into action. "Ooooh well done washamo Nesrin! And well done washamo Ichiro as well! I guess I must repeat strikes for a long time to catch up still", he said, grinning.

He then started getting up, then looked at the wooden weapons and decided against it. "Pākri! - er, yeah! The yäktekertte now!", he says, excited. "Yas wi - er, you two for the first kāñmweta?"

Description Pt2
Theme
Speaking in Tegensai
Speaking in Ujik

Utaku Nesrin

Post by Utaku Nesrin » Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:42 am

"kāñmweta? Match?" Nesrin asks as she picks up one of the shorter wooden blades. "I admit, I kind of hope I'm never stuck with just the wakizashi to fight with. But I guess if I were at a court or something, and something attacked, like in the plays, that might be all I'd have."

Description

Speaking Tegensai

Iuchi Prashant

Post by Iuchi Prashant » Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:20 pm

Utaku Nesrin wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:42 am
"kāñmweta? Match?" Nesrin asks as she picks up one of the shorter wooden blades. "I admit, I kind of hope I'm never stuck with just the wakizashi to fight with. But I guess if I were at a court or something, and something attacked, like in the plays, that might be all I'd have."
"Pākri!", he says, nodding happily. "Well... I guess a Katana is always better, ma? Er, I mean, ne? But as Shugenja we often train with Yäktekertte, and... I guess we sort of get used to them? But the Fortunes help you may have your Pärkarekertte by your side whenever you need it!", he says, smiling again, then fidgeting for a bit and getting up waiting for their Wakizashi-boken match.

Description Pt2
Theme
Speaking in Tegensai
Speaking in Ujik

Utaku Nesrin

Post by Utaku Nesrin » Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:31 am

"You might have me there, then, since I almost never train with this little one washamo Prashant" She settles into the very mobile stance she's trained for, since if she's fighting on foot, it's usually going to be smack in the middle of a battlefield where she's somehow no longer on her horse.

With a fairly obvious feint to see how Prashant moves with his blade, she asks, "If I end up as a yojimbo, I'll have my pärkarekertte most always. But if I'm not, and sent to court...well, I don't think you get to keep that on in a lot of courts."

Description

Speaking Tegensai

Moto Ichiro

Post by Moto Ichiro » Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:45 am

Ichiro held the small practice blade and shrugged "Thats why I focus on learning how to fight with my limbs as the weapon. Literally no situation where I can be caught without them or disarmed. Well unless it is in a much more literal sense." He chuckled.

Utaku Nesrin

Post by Utaku Nesrin » Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:36 am

Nesrin winces slightly at the thought as they spar. "Ooo, I'm not sure we need to train for fighting competently through dismemberment."

Description

Speaking Tegensai

Iuchi Prashant

Post by Iuchi Prashant » Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:43 pm

Prash isn't hit by Nesrin's feint, but his own attempt to hit her legs and bring her to the ground is also way too obvious. "Well, I guess you're right, washamo Nesrin! I guess it's good to have some practice with both then, ma?", he says, grinning as he tries to keep moving to keep up her pace as well, although his own style is often more focused on a strong, fixed stance.

"Pākri! I certainly hope we never have to fight dismembered", he says laughing answering both Ichiro and Nesrin. He then steps forward attempting another touch to the almst-battle maiden's legs as he continues speaking "Have you ever thought about where you think you will serve, washamo Nesrin, washamo Ichiro?"

Description Pt2
Theme
Speaking in Tegensai
Speaking in Ujik

Utaku Nesrin

Post by Utaku Nesrin » Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:05 pm

"Is Pākri 'Hai!'?" Nesrin asks as she leaps over his blade and considers his question. Her blade sweeps back as the leap carries her past him. If it were a katana, he'd be hit, but the shorter blade sweeps past his arm without even touching the fabric.

"I think I want to travel, get out and practice my Tegensai with the folks that speak it outside of the Empire. But I'm not sure how I'd do that...I guess be assigned to guard someone who does?"

Description

Speaking Tegensai

Moto Ichiro

Post by Moto Ichiro » Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:58 pm

Ichiro watched the pair practice and nodded at their movements "Prash your eyes tell your opponent where you are looking to strike, keep your eyes on Washamo Nesrin and just be aware where her body is and strike without looking. No need to tip off your opponent." he remarked giving feed back as they fought. He had very good eyes and he was able to pick about forms and fighting fairly well.

"I wish to join the White Guard if I am found worthy and pious enough." The White Guard were one of the most famous and exclusive units in the Unicorn military, the were devout followers of the old Moto gods turned lesser fortunes. The were based in Khanbulak and defended the border with the burning sands.
Last edited by Moto Ichiro on Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Iuchi Prashant

Post by Iuchi Prashant » Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:34 am

The Shugenja nodded at the Moto's hints, and tried to follow them as well as he could. He tried to keep a defensive position for some time, giving Nesrin some space... then attempted to find an opening in her own defence, hoping that would let him get a hit in.

At the same time, he continued the conversation though.

"Pāk... that is, Hai washamo Nesrin! It can also mean "of course', or even... "clear", like in a 'clear sky'".

"Oh, the White Guard, washamo Ichiro? That's a high bar to set for oneself, but with your determination, I guess you're on the right path!", he says, smiling friendly.

Then to the Utaku again "I guess that would be a way, washamo Nesrin! My Obaasan actually met my Ojiisan while travelling to the Tegensai lands - from what I've heard, the Iuchi sometimes visit the local temples, speak with the ṣamāne and yānkune - er, 'monks' and 'priests' I guess..." He thinks for a while. "I'd... actually really like to visit my ancestors' lands at some point too. Maybe we'll be able to one day, ma, washamo Nesrin?", he says, smiling while sparring with her.

Description Pt2
Theme
Speaking in Tegensai
Speaking in Ujik

Utaku Nesrin

Post by Utaku Nesrin » Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:55 am

"Huh, I like that it can mean so many things. Hai is, most of those, but not clear like sky or water. Hmm, what would cloudy be then?" Her blade taps against his defenses lightly, both strengthening their skill.

"If you head to the temples there and need a yojimbo, washamo Prashant request me and with any luck, my lord will say yes. You'll be a yānkune yourself then I'd wager, yes? Or is there yet another word for it in Tegensai? We'd be able to visit Ichiro-san in Khanbulak too. Share a meal in the amazing markets there."

"White Guard would suit you, washamo Ichiro. Do you already know much about their Lords of Death?" Surely the Utaku knew of them, and some followed them, but Nesrin's family only offered the customary recognition of them, without thinking about it too deeply."

After a few probing strikes with the short blade, she pivots into a full spin around to come in with a two-handed overhead strike. It's a powerful maneuver, but one that definitely leaves her exposed if she's a bit slow on the spin.

Description

Speaking Tegensai

Return to “Horse”