Breaking Fast (Open but Expecting)

Asako Saburo

Breaking Fast (Open but Expecting)

Post by Asako Saburo » Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:57 pm

The morning oblations and carrying of water to the dojo and cleansing the old, well-used wood was done. Saburo was bathed, cleansed and feeling somewhat more himself, which was to say as usually in a mild amount of discomfort, displeasure and general malaise. With a sour grunt, he settled himself, the fish-oil laced rice in front of him and gave thanks to Jurojin in a quick and simple prayer. The spot opposite to him was, as yet untaken, but the pallor of his skin and the general way that his eyes seemed to bore into whoever spoke to him did have a knack for making him... poor company at meals, so he usually spent them alone.

Not today, perhaps...

(OOC: Scene is open, but let's assume there's space for 4 at the table. Leave the spot open for a certain Isawa to pop in. ^.~)
Phoenix Clan * Shugenja * Void * Sickly * Hypochondriac
Topaz Points: 212
Carries: Sturdy Clothes, Scroll Satchel, Inquisitor's Strike (Wakizashi, counts as Jade), Jade netsuke

Kaito Haruki

Re: Breaking Fast (Open but Expecting)

Post by Kaito Haruki » Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:33 am

Haruki approaches, a satchel full of scrolls on his side and a worried expression paints his face. "I heard rumors about an attack last night. It is hard enough competing for the top of the class without having to worry about getting attack at night by things we can't even see."
Proper full name is Isawa Kunio of House Kaito: Bushi,Courtier Mons: Chest: Phoenix R Shoulder: Isawa L Shoulder: Kaito Honor: 6.1 Glory: 4.9 Status: 2 Wound Status: Healthy Phoenix Clan TP: 224
Water Bottle, Coin Purse, Fan, Jade Finger

Asako Saburo

Post by Asako Saburo » Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:43 am

"Is that what that ruckus was about. I barely remember there being some sort of sound at night. Must have slept through it. There was no posting, so I assume that the student was not permanently harmed," Saburo said with his usual wooden, blunt tact. He took a bite, chewed carefully and swallowed. No relish in the meal. Food was meant to nourish, which served as furnace for the body to grow. He glanced at the young man for a moment.

"I was unaware there was a competition, other than to acquire one on one time with the various sensei for personal additional rigors."
Carries: Sturdy Clothes, Scroll Satchel, Inquisitor's Strike (Wakizashi, counts as Jade), Jade netsuke

Kaito Haruki

Post by Kaito Haruki » Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:22 am

"I'm not sure how it is with smaller schools, but when you have a large number of students, there is always smaller competitions. When you are one out of a sea of students, you need some way to stand out. That's why the scoring itself matters, congratulations on getting top marks yesterday. I hope I can close the gap soon." Haruki pauses, taking out one of the scrolls from his pouch, and opens it on the table. "I overheard the attacker was a spirit of some sort, how are we supposed to defend against one of those if they decide to attack again?"
Proper full name is Isawa Kunio of House Kaito: Bushi,Courtier Mons: Chest: Phoenix R Shoulder: Isawa L Shoulder: Kaito Honor: 6.1 Glory: 4.9 Status: 2 Wound Status: Healthy Phoenix Clan TP: 224

Isawa Tanshin

Post by Isawa Tanshin » Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:54 am

"Cousins." Isawa Tanshin bowed slightly as he joined his clanmates.
"My apologies for not introducing myself before. I was... am still unaccustomed to this style of training.

He looks back and forth between Haruki and Saburo as they discuss the attack. He gives a shrug, also being somewhat ignorant of the situation.

"Unfortunately, I haven't had the opportunity to study much beyond the basic elemental kami. Should we bring this to a sensei?

I have spent time in studying the workings of the body, particularly in regards to medicinal applications.
Saburo-San, if you will indulge my academic curiosity: What can you tell me of your unusual eye colour?"
AKA Isawa Saiguren 最紅蓮
Phoenix Clan * Shugenja * Hero of the People
Honor: Exceptional 🐲 Status: 1.0 🐲Glory: 3.0 🐲 Topaz Points: 317 (Day 6)
Wears: Robes, Prayer Beads, Travelling Pack
Carries: Sturdy Walking Staff (Bo)

Asako Saburo

Post by Asako Saburo » Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:16 am

"In truth? I think my experience is colored by the few students I was with at home. I did not train with a primary dojo after all." A shake of his head and a shrug. He didn't seem entirely convinced but it made sense. these people were competitive, where he was ... competing with himself in his own mind. "Wait, top Marks?" he'd been about to ask when the Isawa drew near. Catching sight of him, he returned the bow and waved the comment away.

A shake of his head and he looked over at the Kaito. "I can bear no witness to the events of the night. It would not be proper to discuss the events by rumor. I will leave it to the injured to present their report the sensei here. They will manage affairs." The question about his eyes made one eyebrow climb and a frown creep into his lips. His voice took on a more gravelly tone. "I am told that my eyes have always had an ambered hue. Since the time of my birth, they have had this appearance. I am told it is unusual, yes."

Isawa Tanshin

Post by Isawa Tanshin » Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:37 am

:shock: "My deepest apologies, I did not mean to cause offense." Tanshin lowered his head in a seated bow. :oops:

"I could only wonder what ... unique ... perspectives you must have that I, with such plain eyes could not see."

He spared a quick look to Haruki. Tanshin did not feel worthy as a competitor in the moment.
AKA Isawa Saiguren 最紅蓮

Asako Saburo

Post by Asako Saburo » Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:58 am

"Ah. It is simply an uncomfortable topic," he said after a moment before finally sighing. "I do not see things differently than either of you, save for Kaito-san who cannot speak with the kami as you and I. They simply look different, and I am told it is a sign of ill health. Such things, I don't usually speak of too openly. But I have had to deal with a certain... frailty I suppose one could say. Or perhaps vulnerability is better. I find that I have tired of speaking with doctors and herbalists in my short life."

A resigned shrug. "Do not concern yourself too much. I fought my way past the worst of all that. I am fit to participate in this exercise. My sensei was certain of that." His mother? A bit less so.

Kaito Haruki

Post by Kaito Haruki » Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:00 am

Haruki notices the downcast expression on his cousin's face, and figured a few good words would help "Isawa-san, I noticed how well trained you were in the spiritual side of the exercises yesterday. If either of you would like some pointers on the stuff your schools haven't focused on, I can make some time for you guys tomorrow for sure."

Isawa Tanshin

Post by Isawa Tanshin » Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:44 am

"We will be spending many hours together in our training to come. I will do my best to act as a friend, rather than doctor. I hope that you both may do the same for me?

"Thank you, Haruki-San, I could definitely benefit from additional physical training. At what hour should I find you tomorrow."
AKA Isawa Saiguren 最紅蓮

Kaito Haruki

Post by Kaito Haruki » Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:00 am

"We can start just after we wake up, nothing like a good run, a little bit of shadowboxing, and if we're really lucky, catch a couple of pigeons. Do you at least have your own water bottle?"

Asako Saburo

Post by Asako Saburo » Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:03 am

"Isawa-san, forgive me, but," he leaned forward and gave him a nice, close look. The from slipped away and he offered him a grin, one that looked briefly impish. "You are a little young to be calling yourself a doctor, so I think I will be settling for kohai if that is fine. I am looking forward to seeing a fellow Isawa trained priest show them what we are capable of after all."

He settled back and relaxed some. "Additional physical training is always good. It builds the body that houses the mind."

Kaito Haruki

Post by Kaito Haruki » Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:20 am

"Great, we can start by volunteering to gather all the water our classmates will need for their cleaning duties. Carrying water buckets with the help of a carrying pole should be good resistance training."

Isawa Tanshin

Post by Isawa Tanshin » Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:35 am

Tanshin rose to the jibe: "I haven't lost a pa...."
"Yes, that will be fine.", he said in retreat.
He emulated a smile. "We do bear the reputation of the Council. Let us demonstrate our worth."

:?: "Water bottle?"
AKA Isawa Saiguren 最紅蓮

Asako Saburo

Post by Asako Saburo » Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:39 am

"Precisely... and Kaito has an excellent thought. Carrying water is excellent strength and endurance training." He'd done that countless times in the past. It was one way to build up and maintain her health, after all, which was important. "And either way, we will do our sensei proud. It is what we are expected to do after all." He expected no less of anyone who carried the name Isawa after all.

Kaito Haruki

Post by Kaito Haruki » Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:10 pm

Haruki pulls out his water bottle, a simple clay gourd wrapped in cloth for easy handling. "You know, something like this that can carry without hands. If we're going to run, then I don't want you to get sick just because we couldn't get you to a well."

Return to “Hare”