Observations (Open to Spellcasting Only)

Asako Saburo

Observations (Open to Spellcasting Only)

Post by Asako Saburo » Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:26 pm

(OOC: This thread is specifically for participants in the Daily Spellcasting training during 'in between moments' as they observe each other.
It's here so socialization is possible during the Daily Training without messing things up in the 'roll' thread.)

Saburo settled himself into a more relaxed position when given a free moment as the other students prepared and cast their spells, observing them quietly and respectfully from a distance. Admittedly, 'respectfully' was probably something of a misnomer, given that his golden eyes tended to glare straight into the back of people's skulls with the intensity of a power drill. He wasn't taking notes, but he was methodically observing and considering the activities of each, his curiosity at their methods, prayers and the like practically all consuming.

Still, as long as one kept their voice down, there were moments to speak in a whisper that would not interrupt the others.
Phoenix Clan * Shugenja * Void * Sickly * Hypochondriac
Topaz Points: 212
Carries: Sturdy Clothes, Scroll Satchel, Inquisitor's Strike (Wakizashi, counts as Jade), Jade netsuke

Mai

Re: Observations (Open to Spellcasting Only)

Post by Mai » Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:46 am

"Whoo. That went better than I expected." She bows to the Phoenix. "Sorry, Asako-sensei. I was so excited at passing, I didn't see you there. Fire is not my best element."
Mantis Clan Shugenja *Water * Thunder * Prodigy * Lucky

Status: 2.0 * Glory: 2.0 * Honor: What is Expected * Topaz Points: 42 * Unofficial Topaz Points: 108

Items: Scrolls, Jade

Asako Saburo

Post by Asako Saburo » Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:03 am

He caught sight of her when she drew in and bowed once, properly. "It is wise of you to begin with deficiencies. The practice will suit you well when you approach more familiar territory." Said with the tone of someone who had thought of doing much the same thing. "I have been told in the past that my Air is deficient."

...which was like calling water wet, honestly.
Carries: Sturdy Clothes, Scroll Satchel, Inquisitor's Strike (Wakizashi, counts as Jade), Jade netsuke

Mai

Post by Mai » Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:28 am

"Well, Earth is actually my deficient. On the Islands of Silk and Spice, we study the storm and that leaves little time to study Earth. But after yesterday when I did not do nearly as well as I expected at the beginning ceremony, I am not taking things for granted." She nods to herself. "You did well with the Air portion. I can only imagine seeing you at your strength."

Status: 2.0 * Glory: 2.0 * Honor: What is Expected * Topaz Points: 42 * Unofficial Topaz Points: 108

Asako Saburo

Post by Asako Saburo » Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:02 am

"I will be addressing my strengths last. When I am certain that all of my deficiencies have been mastered," he admitted. Fire? It was a thing he didn't plan to face until near the very end. "I can appreciate your dislike of working with the Earth. It has always been... a difficult thing for me. I have been told that the fire within me is too ascendant, consumes all else at times."

Mai

Post by Mai » Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:50 am

Mai nods. "Water is our Strength, which is good considering we are at the seas. But I am doing the same. Focus my strength last. Though I have considered trying to convince them to let me into some of the other lessons."

Asako Saburo

Post by Asako Saburo » Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:11 am

"I briefly considered it. A certain increase of my martial proficiency would not be out of the question. I wish to serve in the Elemental Legions, and to do so one must be versed not only in the prayers of the kami, but in the ways of warfare. At the same time, I know what a priest is meant for in warfare. To be prepared for any possibility is one thing. But I must see to my primary gifts first." He paused in that for a moment before raising an eyebrow. "What had you been considering? Bushi training or that of the courts?"

Mai

Post by Mai » Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:17 am

"Well, I was talking to a Doji the other day who is training to be a weaponsmith. I wouldn't mind learning such things. And a little martial training never hurts. My sensei was insistent on never relying solely on spells." Mai hoped she was repeating herself. She forgot if she said that before or after he arrived at archery practice. "Really it depends on how I do with Air next time. If I succeed again, then I am sure I can make a strong showing. If I fail, I will take that as a sign to diversify."

Asako Saburo

Post by Asako Saburo » Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:31 am

He nodded. that was certainly a way to look at things, though he wasn't necessarily inclined to actually diversify even if he had considered the possibility briefly. What she said, though, got a grunt of approval. "The kami can only be called upon so many times in the course of a day, no matter how powerful one is as a shugenja. I have been studying the arts of the bow recently with that in mind."

Mai

Post by Mai » Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:36 am

Mai nods. "So have I. Figured it would be good from the bow of a ship. My sensei talk me some unarmed combat and will be teaching me how to handle knives a little when I get back. Might try something bigger later just try it." Mai considered what. "How do you like the bow?"

Asako Saburo

Post by Asako Saburo » Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:57 am

"Difficult, and draining on the arm. I have to get my finger used to the sensation of a proper draw and my arm used to the steady motion. Until it no longer hurts." He certainly was one to bash his head repeatedly into a wall until it was done fighting back. "I am told improvised weapons are popular on kobune, as there are many handy. Jiujutsu training has a certain familiarity with that, yes?"

Mai

Post by Mai » Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:04 am

Mai nods. "You heard right. Sometimes the best weapon is what's around. It's hard to have formal fighting on a rocking ship." Mai considers. "I am no sensei, but I could show you a thing or two some time."

Asako Saburo

Post by Asako Saburo » Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:10 am

"Additional sparring practice in preparation for the demonstrations tomorrow would not be amiss. I have little wish to underperform in any of the lessons that we are up against." He certainly had intentions when it came to Jiujutsu. It was proving to be something of an opportunity to show that despite any appearances to the contrary, he could handle himself in a fight.

Mai

Post by Mai » Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:35 am

"Sounds like a plan. The Hour of the Rooster sound good?"

Asako Saburo

Post by Asako Saburo » Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:02 am

"Today?" He considered that for just a moment and then nodded. "I believe I will have time before the dojo cleanup at that hour. We can meet on the dojo grounds. I may be a little sore, but what is a little more practice in the matter?" Certainly, he wasn't going to turn it down. It was a good chance to really practice for tomorrow.

(OOC: If you're down for it, I figure someone noticed I don't have anything in the Hour of the Rooster today yet. ^.~ set it up at your leisure.)

Mai

Post by Mai » Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:10 pm

"Sure... Oh. Wait. I am meeting Akodo-sensei. He sent me word about wanting to show me some defensive techniques. What about the Hour of the Tiger tomorrow?"

((OOC: That is what I had actually meant. I need to look at the day list next before saying an hour.))

Asako Saburo

Post by Asako Saburo » Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:44 pm

He tapped his chin before nodding. "With the demonstration and training session a the hour of the dragon, we will want to avoid anything that is physically risky, but there are holds and the like we can practice along with the limbering stretches. Meet me after we clean the dojo but before cleaning for the day. That should work fine." A vigorous nod of his head and he seemed rather neutral about the whole affair.

Which, considering Saburo? Was probably pleased.

(D3 Tiger sounds fine to me!)

Mai

Post by Mai » Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:46 am

Mai nods. "Sounds good. I will teach you some of the finer points of improvisation."

Asako Saburo

Post by Asako Saburo » Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:58 am

Very suddenly, he let out a low, mirthless chuckle. "I was unaware improvisation had many finer points. It seems to be rather the point to have the exact opposite of minutiae doesn't it? But I would appreciate the assistance, regardless, thank you."

Mai

Post by Mai » Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:34 am

"Well, having an idea of what it takes to break a weapon, of if it can be used afterwards, and, my favorite, the perfect bash to stab motion are not as refined as actual weapons training, but still good to be aware of." Mai makes the motion of bashing someone over the head and stabbing them with her new sharp object as she speaks.

Return to “Dragon”