What a Rake

Kuni Yotsuo

What a Rake

Post by Kuni Yotsuo » Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:17 pm

After the jiujutsu lesson and practice, Yotsuo spent some time centering himself and focusing on the lessons granted by the Hida sensei. After some time, he nodded to himself, feeling that the lesson had fully been integrated into his understanding. He rose from his spot in the yard and went to collect a rake and began the process of cleaning the ground of any fallen leaves or petals that had gathered since yesterday.

D2 Horse, Void Recovery, Meditation / Void, TN 20: 4d10o10k2 40 +1 VP
Crab ѻ Monk ѻ Spirit Walker ѻ Obsessive ѻ Chosen by the Oracle of Earth ѻ Emissary of the Spirit Realms ѻ Friend of the Brotherhood ѻ Prodigy ѻ Profile
Honor: Expected ѻ Glory: 3.0 ѻ Status: 3.0 ѻ Topaz Points: 0
Carries: Fine clothing, incense brazier, small statue, ink brush kit, jade pendant, jade finger

Yogo Otoko

Re: What a Rake

Post by Yogo Otoko » Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:07 pm

Outdoor work.

Meh.

The outdoors were totally overrated. A good library, or meditation chamber, or even a nice hot bath, were much better than traipsing around in the heat or cold. And doing work out there was even worse.

Still, Otoko was hardly an entitled Imperial Kuge or anything. The Yogo served. So, she found a rake of her own. She spotted the tea ceremony Kuni from the trip coming to get a rake as well, bowing to him slowly.

"...Kuni-san.
Scorpion Clan + Shugenja + Cursed + Distant + Unicorn Trained + Haunted

Kuni Yotsuo

Post by Kuni Yotsuo » Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:11 pm

He returned the bow before returning to raking. "Yogo-san. I hope your day has been going well. I saw you did well in the training earlier."
Crab ѻ Monk ѻ Spirit Walker ѻ Obsessive ѻ Chosen by the Oracle of Earth ѻ Emissary of the Spirit Realms ѻ Friend of the Brotherhood ѻ Prodigy ѻ Profile
Carries: Fine clothing, incense brazier, small statue, ink brush kit, jade pendant, jade finger

Yogo Otoko

Post by Yogo Otoko » Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:28 pm

Her taking technique when she started left much to be desired... but leaves were at least being moved. "...I am as surprised as anyone. You did well also Kuni-san."

Kuni Yotsuo

Post by Kuni Yotsuo » Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:31 pm

"Well, it's a different discipline than I'm used to," he replies. "Usually I deal less with the kami than that. But there are certain ways that monks can use their influence to our advantage. Not with prayers in the same way, but by aligning our spirits with their element and being granted small blessings. Fortunately for me, this training suits me since I've been learning to align my spirit in different ways since I started training with my master."

Yogo Otoko

Post by Yogo Otoko » Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:37 pm

Otoko gave a slow nod at that. "...I confess, I know little about the way of monks, of any kind. Monastic traditions are not plentiful in Scorpion lands, and there are none among the samurai. All the same, I stick by my words."

She paused, masked face glancing up a moment. "...While I have spoken to the water kami before, they are usually... difficult with me. I am glad they decided to behave this day at least."

Kuni Yotsuo

Post by Kuni Yotsuo » Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:48 pm

"I'm glad they did not give you difficulty either," he replies, continuing to rake. "I met a Kuni once that had difficulty with the Air kami, and it liked to cause problems for him. So I've seen that kind of stuff before, but I don't really understand it."

Yogo Otoko

Post by Yogo Otoko » Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:28 pm

"I am... not certain I understand it all fully myself. My next hurdle will be trying to do the same with the air kami." She paused in her raking. "...How does a monk speak to the kami, out of curiosity?"

Kuni Yotsuo

Post by Kuni Yotsuo » Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:07 pm

"We don't really. We, attune ourselves to their elements and invite their blessings," he replies. "We don't generally ask them for their gifts verbally. It's not something that my master back home has taught me how to do yet, but this is giving me a head start on that I think."

Yogo Otoko

Post by Yogo Otoko » Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:03 am

Otoko's head tilted slightly. "...I am not certain I understand, but I am rarely certain. I do not even fully know how it is I speak to the elements, what makes me able to and not others. Regardless of the how's. you still did well. I am certain your sensei will be pleased when you return. There is a Crab school for monks then?"

Kuni Yotsuo

Post by Kuni Yotsuo » Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:14 am

"There is," he replies with a nod. "The Kuni Wardens see to the spiritual purity and safety of others. Plus, there are a lot of people in the Crab that join the Temple of Osano-Wo. It may not often seem like it, but the Crab actually have a great deal of respect for monk lifestyles. Though Crab and retired Crab monks are also often sohei."

Yogo Otoko

Post by Yogo Otoko » Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:33 am

"...Those that join the Brotherhood lose their worldly ties, yes? So they would no longer really be Crab. I understand that much well enough, so it is difficult for me to think of a monk that still is tied to the structure and order that comes with clan life." Neither the Scorpion nor the Unicorn had clan monks after all. It seemed quite strange to her to think about.

Kuni Yotsuo

Post by Kuni Yotsuo » Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:03 am

"That's true, but many members of the Temple of Osano-wo still live in Crab lands and still willingly defend those lands against external and spiritual threats, not unlike Kuni Wardens. They may no longer be Crab samurai, but they still hold many Crab values and our clan supports them much as we can."

Yogo Otoko

Post by Yogo Otoko » Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:37 am

She gave a slight nod. "...Understandable. There are... few temples in Yogo lands. While some monks must appreciate hardship, the swamp that takes up most of our lands, as well as the poor, mountain soil in the rest, barely sustains the peasantry, let alone any larger temples. That is not to say the Scorpion as a whole are not religious. With three shugenja traditions, we would have to be..."

Kuni Yotsuo

Post by Kuni Yotsuo » Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:06 am

"Which are you training with?"

Yogo Otoko

Post by Yogo Otoko » Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:43 am

"... Perhaps surprisingly, none of them. I am... not well attuned to the elements as most of my clan. I was sent to train with the meishodo masters of the Unicorn."

Kuni Yotsuo

Post by Kuni Yotsuo » Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:04 am

"I'm not familiar with meishodo. What is that?"

Yogo Otoko

Post by Yogo Otoko » Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:17 am

Otoko was silent a moment, just raking thoughtfully. Finally she seemed to decide on a proper answer. "...To put it at its most simple, it is imbuing talisman and such objects with the kami so that they may assist later on.:

Kuni Yotsuo

Post by Kuni Yotsuo » Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:43 am

"So they're like nemurenai?"

Yogo Otoko

Post by Yogo Otoko » Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:54 am

"...In a vague sense. I confess I know little about how nemuranai are created and work, so I can only guess." She gave a soft shrug. "I would more easily equate them to wards like my family use, a specific magic stored after a prayer."

Return to “Horse”