Shogi Before Dawn

Kaiu Aiichiro

Shogi Before Dawn

Post by Kaiu Aiichiro » Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:39 pm

When returning to the barracks, there would be a lot of time to follow for five bored kids. Time that could pass faster with a game of shogi. It was clear enough with moonlight not to lose yourself in the dark, but not enough to play shogi, so... He needed a lantern.
He searched for another one of the students who were woken up this night.
OOC: Only characters who woke up during this event can join this thread.
◘ Crab Clan ♦ Bushi/Artisan ♦ ProfileJournal ♦ UTC -4 ♦ Rolls List Status | 2.0 ♦ Glory | 3.5 ♦ Topaz Points | 208
Health › Healthy (15) ♦ Honor › What is expected.
Carry › Sturdy clothing, sandals, haori, finger of jade, war fans, water bottle, fan, coin bag, 1 koku and 10 zeni.
Mons › Back: Crab Clan | Left shoulder: Kaiu | Right chest: Personal mon

Kokyou

Re: Shogi Before Dawn

Post by Kokyou » Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:00 pm

"Wha' will we be wagerin'?" Kokyou asks with ambition in his eyes.
Mantis • Bushi • Shugenja • Jock • Charismatic • Dashing • Buff • Stud • Proud • Smug • Hero • Unique
DescriptionTheme • Honor: A Soul Above Question • Status: 2.0 • Glory: 6.1 • Infamy 1.0

TN to be recognized: 15
Wears: Sturdy Clothing, Coin Purse, Pipe, Fan
Combat: Light Armor, 2 Kama, 2 Tanto

Kaiu Aiichiro

Post by Kaiu Aiichiro » Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:09 pm

"I want to play shogi. Interested on that?" He whispered loud.
◘ Crab Clan ♦ Bushi/Artisan ♦ ProfileJournal ♦ UTC -4 ♦ Rolls List Status | 2.0 ♦ Glory | 3.5 ♦ Topaz Points | 208
Carry › Sturdy clothing, sandals, haori, finger of jade, war fans, water bottle, fan, coin bag, 1 koku and 10 zeni.

Kokyou

Post by Kokyou » Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:16 pm

"Aye. Whatever game. That's unimportant. Wha' are we wagerin' be th' important part o' th' game." He narrows one eye.
Mantis • Bushi • Shugenja • Jock • Charismatic • Dashing • Buff • Stud • Proud • Smug • Hero • Unique
DescriptionTheme • Honor: A Soul Above Question • Status: 2.0 • Glory: 6.1 • Infamy 1.0

Kaiu Aiichiro

Post by Kaiu Aiichiro » Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:03 am

"You only play with wagers? I think we can do it... One game for one zeni each? The winner takes it all?" He negotiates.

Mai

Post by Mai » Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:40 am

Mai sits down with the boys. "I'll put a zeni on, Kokyou." She didn't think he would win since she wasn't sure he knew how to play, but never bet against your own.
Mantis Clan Shugenja *Water * Thunder * Prodigy * Lucky

Status: 2.0 * Glory: 2.0 * Honor: What is Expected * Topaz Points: 42 * Unofficial Topaz Points: 108

Items: Scrolls, Jade

Kokyou

Post by Kokyou » Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:43 am

"Unfortunately, I don't 'ave a zeni on me shillin' coffer. I'll wager parchment 'n a piece o' charcoal, instead t' cover it." He offers, wondering if the nose punching would start now... or later.

Kaiu Aiichiro

Post by Kaiu Aiichiro » Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:46 am

"But it was you who suggested betting! Anyway, because Mai-san threw one, I will accept it. Now... We need to find a source of light so we can see the pieces. Anyone got a lantern?"

Mai

Post by Mai » Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:02 am

Mai nods. "I got one." She lights it. She had apparently grabbed it when they returned to the barracks.

Status: 2.0 * Glory: 2.0 * Honor: What is Expected * Topaz Points: 42 * Unofficial Topaz Points: 108

Kokyou

Post by Kokyou » Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:06 am

"Jolly good. Now let's begin settin' stones! Black or white?" He asks clacking the pieces on the board.

Kaiu Aiichiro

Post by Kaiu Aiichiro » Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:13 am

"In Shogi, both stones are the same color. The thing that differentiate them is the direction the kanji are faced. Do you need to be teached how to play?"

Kokyou

Post by Kokyou » Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:17 am

"Nay. I learn as I go. Who begins playin', then. If thar aren't colors?" He asks, raising an eyebrow with distrust.

Kaiu Aiichiro

Post by Kaiu Aiichiro » Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:28 am

"One person takes and throws five pawns. If the number of promoted pawns facing up is greater than the number of unpromoted pawns, they go second."

Kokyou

Post by Kokyou » Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:31 am

"Alright, matey. I'll play by yer rules t' show courtesy." The Mantis boy crosses his arm, looking skeptical to the board.

Kaiu Aiichiro

Post by Kaiu Aiichiro » Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:36 am

"It's not my rules, it's the traditional rules." He took the pieces and threw them over the board.
D1 Hour of the Ox: Shogi before dawn (1 are promoted, 2 fell in the middle, 3 are promoted) [corrected because I rolled 1d2 before]: 5#1d3 2 1 2 1 2

Kokyou

Post by Kokyou » Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:07 am

Kokyou shrugs. Takes five pieces and throw them on the board in the same fashion.

"Haaaaaar!"

--
D1, Ox, Whatever Aiichiro Rules Are: 5#1d3 1 2 2 3 3

Kaiu Aiichiro

Post by Kaiu Aiichiro » Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:26 am

"No, not this way, when I threw the pieces it meant already that you start first. Anyway..." He would proceed to teach and play the game.
D1 Hour of the Ox: Shogi before dawn - Who wins?: 2d10 11

Mai

Post by Mai » Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:30 pm

Mai was disappointed. She had thought Kokyou was winning.

Kokyou

Post by Kokyou » Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:45 pm

Kokyou opens room in the board and moves the king into a full attack against the enemy defenses!

"Har! Ahoy t' th' good ole ship NOSE PUNCH. I be th' Capt'n! Ye fork faced panty waist puddle o' rat pee! Come here 'n face me."

--
D1, Ox, Whatever Aiichiro Rules Are II: 1d10 2

Kaiu Aiichiro

Post by Kaiu Aiichiro » Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:19 pm

Aiichiro laughed a little, and as the game passed, he put his pieces around the king to isolate him — the king was always at a check position, but Kokyou didn't notice this fact, which he used to his own amusement until he got bored of playing and simply declared.
"Here. The horse and the golden general are trapping your king."

Return to “Ox”