Critiques/Feedback/Suggestions

Public GM questions concerning New Winds Part 1
Doji Sakura

Re: Critiques/Feedback/Suggestions

Post by Doji Sakura » Sat Jun 06, 2020 3:56 am

I understand the flavour of the Spears rank 5, but it's the only combat weapon with any kind of limitation. It maybe should just be '+1k0 to damage'
Crane Clan*Artisan*Singer*Weaponsmith*Gemsmith*Gem-obsessed*Tougher than she looks*Daredevil*Tiny*Innocent*Great Potential*Profile
Status: 0.5 | Glory: 1.4 | Honour: As expected | Dojo Points: 52
Equipment: Jade Tanto, Better quality clothes, Sweets, Biwa, Umbrella

Vutall

Post by Vutall » Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:02 am

Doji Sakura wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:34 am
It feels a lil odd that only one specific part of a skill counts when there are plenty of non-low weapons (tanto are used for many things for example). It might be better as an emphasis given freely to the school and then you can say weaponsmith (swords) so there's an upside and a downside
Added the Sword emphasis to Craft: Weaponskill for Kakita Swordsmith, and changed school tech to read: Artisan: Weaponsmith counts as the 3rd chosen skill for purposes of your school techniques.
Trickling down while we're dying of hunger.

Doji Sakura

Post by Doji Sakura » Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:34 am

Ooh, cool! Thank you :D can you add it to my sheet?
Crane Clan*Artisan*Singer*Weaponsmith*Gemsmith*Gem-obsessed*Tougher than she looks*Daredevil*Tiny*Innocent*Great Potential*Profile
Status: 0.5 | Glory: 1.4 | Honour: As expected | Dojo Points: 52
Equipment: Jade Tanto, Better quality clothes, Sweets, Biwa, Umbrella

Vutall

Post by Vutall » Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:29 am

You won't get the emphasis until the end of the game, as no school starts with any emphasis per character creation.

Vutall

Post by Vutall » Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:37 pm

Discussion on Discord has led me to changing the Kakita Swordsmith school skills, instead of defense, they now have Kenjutsu

Mai

Post by Mai » Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:26 am

I would suggest discarding the Title poll with new Title poll with an additional option of hybrid system. Essentially keep Paths that are specific school techniques as paths and redo others as Titles.

Like Emerald Magistrate becomes a Title like you describes while Isawa Tensai remain a path as they are a specific school within Isawa training.
Mantis Clan Shugenja *Water * Thunder * Prodigy * Lucky

Status: 2.0 * Glory: 2.0 * Honor: What is Expected * Topaz Points: 42 * Unofficial Topaz Points: 108

Items: Scrolls, Jade

Kakita Kenji

Post by Kakita Kenji » Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:17 pm

It would be nice if at the next random event a little time would go by before something bigger happens. It's a bummer to miss out on something just because you sleep in real life.
Crane Clan | Bushi & Artisan | Your friendly&idealistic neighbourhood Samurai | UTC +2 | Profile
Honour: Exceptional | Status: 2.0 | Glory: 5.0 | Infamy: 1.0 | Topaz Points: 95
Gear: Sturdy Clothing, Sandals, Travelling Pack

"You own every word you speak" - Shinsei

Vutall

Post by Vutall » Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:56 pm

I try to stagger them with their times to hit different timezones. I'm sorry you missed out.

Utaku Nesrin

Post by Utaku Nesrin » Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:11 pm

Suggestion to also edit first post when closed/stuff is happening, or otherwise make the nature of the event clearer. The wording made me think it was just a "if you see things you can talk about it the next day" event vs. "and then something will happen." So I didn't bother reading through the whole thread before making a roll, and posting, assuming it would be much like the other, non-interactive events.
Unicorn Clan * Bushi * Battle Maiden * Honest and Fair * Hard to pronounce name
Honor: A Soul Above Question * Status: 1 * Glory: 3

Description

"Every day is a journey, and the journey itself home" -Bashō
Speaking Tegensai

Vutall

Post by Vutall » Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:46 pm

That is completely fair, and I will do so in the future! My apologize.

Vutall

Post by Vutall » Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:05 am

Based on feedback from discord, made the following changes to bonds:

Family:
“Strong Roots Grow Deep” (Bond Ability):
Once per thread/session you can call upon your family bond. Choose a trait. For the rest of the thread, you gain a bonus of your bond rank to all rolls with that trait

Lover:
“With You, the Storm Subsides” (Bond Ability):
Once during a Thread/Scene involving your lover or reminders of them, you may call upon your bond. If you do, for the remainder of the thread your wound penalties are reduced by twice your bond rank

Comrade
“Just Like Old Times” (Bond Ability):
When performing a check for a skill that your bond has, you gain a bonus unkept dice equal to your bond rank

Rival
“I Will Surpass You!” (Bond Ability):
When making a check involving your rival, once per thread you may reroll dice equal to your bond rank

Nemesis:
-removed completely, as the Sworn Enemy disadvantage represents this better.

Advantage Discounts:
Kharmic Tie:
If a character has any bond, they may purchase this advantage for -1xp (to a minimum of 1) with the target of the advantage being the character you have the bond with.

Blissful Betrothal:
If a character has a Lover bond, they may purchase this advantage for -1xp with the target of the bond. This also changes the bond from Lover to Family.

Kakita Kenji

Post by Kakita Kenji » Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:13 am

Otomo Nobuko wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:41 am
question on taking part in special events. Doji Sakura was in a Boar timeslot thread (sneaking out and getting caught) and then in the Kitty Kitty Special Event thread. I was under the impression we could only take part in one thread per timeslot, was I incorrect in my understanding? Or is the rule waived for special events? Or does that only apply to the mandatory events?

Edit: just want to be sure I'm understanding this correctly in case I'm online to jump into future events when they're posted
I suggest to lift the limit of 1 thread / timeslot for the participation in special events.

Reason:
The role play could suffer from this, because people refrain from role play to be able to participate in special events.

Suggestion:
Limit of 1 normal thread / character and 1 special event /character per timeslot.
Crane Clan | Bushi & Artisan | Your friendly&idealistic neighbourhood Samurai | UTC +2 | Profile

Iuchi Prashant

Post by Iuchi Prashant » Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:19 am

Kakita Kenji wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:13 am
Otomo Nobuko wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:41 am
question on taking part in special events. Doji Sakura was in a Boar timeslot thread (sneaking out and getting caught) and then in the Kitty Kitty Special Event thread. I was under the impression we could only take part in one thread per timeslot, was I incorrect in my understanding? Or is the rule waived for special events? Or does that only apply to the mandatory events?

Edit: just want to be sure I'm understanding this correctly in case I'm online to jump into future events when they're posted
I suggest to lift the limit of 1 thread / timeslot for the participation in special events.

Reason:
The role play could suffer from this, because people refrain from role play to be able to participate in special events.

Suggestion:
Limit of 1 normal thread / character and 1 special event /character per timeslot.
I'd agree to this if it makes sense with what's already happened in that timeslot. I mean it wouldn't make much sense for the uni squad to have been in the catfight as they were busy running on the roofs outside the dojo!
Adult name: Iuchi Prashstam
Unicorn Clan * Shugenja/Artisan * "Pu-ra-what?" * Ascetic * Friendly smile * Monk-y

Honor: Exceptional * Status:1 * Glory:2.9 * Infamy: 0.5 * Topaz Pt: 211 (End D5)
Items: Purple/gray robes, sandals, trinket satchel, copy of the Tao, stone with 'cup' kanji.
Description Pt2
Theme
Speaking in Tegensai
Speaking in Ujik

Kakita Kenji

Post by Kakita Kenji » Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:25 am

Individual judgment would be needed, but, if it is generally 1 thread per timeslot I could see people refrain from joining or making threads

Iuchi Prashant

Post by Iuchi Prashant » Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:35 am

That's a fair point
Unicorn Clan * Shugenja/Artisan * "Pu-ra-what?" * Ascetic * Friendly smile * Monk-y

Honor: Exceptional * Status:1 * Glory:2.9 * Infamy: 0.5 * Topaz Pt: 211 (End D5)
Items: Purple/gray robes, sandals, trinket satchel, copy of the Tao, stone with 'cup' kanji.
Description Pt2
Theme
Speaking in Tegensai
Speaking in Ujik

Mai

Post by Mai » Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:38 am

I would make an exception for any special event that is posted with day change. You can plan around that, but I agree. It's already happened too. Some of played shogi after I got healed and the last event the some were allowed after they failed sneaking out.
Mantis Clan Shugenja *Water * Thunder * Prodigy * Lucky

Status: 2.0 * Glory: 2.0 * Honor: What is Expected * Topaz Points: 42 * Unofficial Topaz Points: 108

Items: Scrolls, Jade

Utaku Nesrin

Post by Utaku Nesrin » Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:43 am

The existing example had folks with a conflicting thread asking the GM before entering, which makes sense. That's probably easier than trying to craft a rule that allows for all the possible iterations, or making a blanket setup of one regular and one special event.

Think your thread was slight enough to justify joining an event? Check in and see.
Unicorn Clan * Bushi * Battle Maiden * Honest and Fair * Hard to pronounce name
Honor: A Soul Above Question * Status: 1 * Glory: 3

Description

"Every day is a journey, and the journey itself home" -Bashō
Speaking Tegensai

Vutall

Post by Vutall » Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:58 am

Utaku Nesrin wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:43 am
The existing example had folks with a conflicting thread asking the GM before entering, which makes sense. That's probably easier than trying to craft a rule that allows for all the possible iterations, or making a blanket setup of one regular and one special event.

Think your thread was slight enough to justify joining an event? Check in and see.
This. I don't want to exclude anyone from feeling like they can't roleplay, but I'm sticking with the 1 thread per slot for a person.

Utaku Ichiro

Post by Utaku Ichiro » Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:36 pm

If there is a future iteration of this style of game the Daily Combat Training needs to be revised. It is the only one that can penalize its participants in multiple ways (wound penalties, the potential loss of dojo points, having to cut training short to avoid either of the above resulting in fewer dojo points) without having any compensating reward mechanic that the other daily trainings do not have.

It wasn't bad enough to feel bitter about, especially since I never expected Ichiro to be in the running for Paragon with his build, but it stands out.
Unicorn • Bushi • Experienced • Enlightened • Ascetic • Heroic Muse
Honor: What is Expected • Status: 2.0 • Glory: 5.2 • Infamy: 0.5 • Topaz Points: 229

Gear in Tsuma: Poorly sized purple and ivory utilitarian travelling clothes, charred gold scarf, daisho, jade
Outside Tusma: Unicorn riding horse, riding armor, scimitar, daisho, ono, han-kyu and arrows, jade
Description

Before the thunder can roar the lightning must strike

Iuchi Prashant

Post by Iuchi Prashant » Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:16 am

There's been some conversation saying the exact opposite on Discord some days ago. The Bushi training is actually probably the one that grants the most skill points and advantages, while Shugenja training, for example, while compararively considerably easier to get Dojo Points from, grants a max of 2 skill points (if you use courtier to switch to the other type of training in the thread), and only grants advantages from double explosions or succeeding in all rolls three times (and never switching to another training type, which means sticking with the two skills only). It being only three rolls makes it easier to succeed, once again, but grants less chances to get an advantage... So I really don't think it's that unfair, points-wise.

But I tend to agree that making dojo points a bit harder to get plus wound penalties possibly penalising other events might too much. Maybe making it easier to heal after the training would be a way to avoid that, that or (possibly and) making it a bit easier to get Dojo points - say, succeeding in 2 rolls granting 3 dp, and 4 rolls granting 6 dp, or something like that. In that case, succeeding in all rolls might grant an extra bonus, maybe.

It might be worth checking advantage, skill and dp gains from each training type at the end to think about what could be nice changes. But once again, I don't think it's so bad, and I feel the fact that I've seen complaints from non-bushi kinda agrees with that?

Of course I'm playing a shuggie, so all that might be taken with a grain of salt :p

Description Pt2
Theme
Speaking in Tegensai
Speaking in Ujik

Return to “New Winds Part 1 Questions”