D7 - Preparations (Open)

Asako Saburo

D7 - Preparations (Open)

Post by Asako Saburo » Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:43 pm

Saburo was a priest, and today he would be called upon to display the raw potency of a priest's power when the kami, and the unity of the void, heeded his call in personal combat. So, there was no place in all the city he should be before the coming of the first round of matches than the shrine to the fortunes. He gave honor to each of the Great Fortunes, but it was before Bishamon that he knelt the longest, and the one who would be seen with him before that shrine if anyone happened upon him.

He bowed in careful obeisance, whispering his prayer to the fortune. Not merely for victory but for clarity in battle, that the power of the kami not be used with undue haste or risk to others. Taryu-Jiai was dangerous and he prayed for himself and all of the students to maintain control over their elements.
Phoenix Clan * Shugenja * Void * Sickly * Hypochondriac
Topaz Points: 212
Carries: Sturdy Clothes, Scroll Satchel, Inquisitor's Strike (Wakizashi, counts as Jade), Jade netsuke

Kaiu Aiichiro

Re: D7 - Preparations (Open)

Post by Kaiu Aiichiro » Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:52 am

Back to pray one last time before the matches to at least win his first duel, he entered the shrine of Bishamon. Kneeling over her shrine at the side of the boy he did not even see who it was, he found that his prayers were disturbed by his thoughts. He wore phoenix orange. Could it have been...?
He could not resist side-glancing Saburo. Checking who it was (and someone being in the list of suspects), he closed his eyes and rhythmized his breath to better concentrate on his prayer.
When it ended, he waited for the shugenja outside. Saburo was a fun person to talk to, regardless. Should he be direct about the fan or not, though?
◘ Crab Clan ♦ Bushi/Artisan ♦ ProfileJournal ♦ UTC -4 ♦ Rolls List Status | 2.0 ♦ Glory | 3.5 ♦ Topaz Points | 208
Health › Healthy (15) ♦ Honor › What is expected.
Carry › Sturdy clothing, sandals, haori, finger of jade, war fans, water bottle, fan, coin bag, 1 koku and 10 zeni.
Mons › Back: Crab Clan | Left shoulder: Kaiu | Right chest: Personal mon

Asako Saburo

Post by Asako Saburo » Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:03 am

Saburo didn't react when the Kaiu joined him in prayer and seemed not to notice his presence other than tangentially. When it ended he bowed, clapped his hands and rose, taking his leave of the shrine proper. He could only assume that his prayers would be heard one way or another. He couldn't linger for two long. When he reached the doorway, he gave a small pause and looked at Aiichiro with an unreadable expression before bowing. "Ah, Kaiu-san. Are we ready for the final tournaments?" he said in a polite tone.

"I do hope you've had rice today." His tone was a little more neutral than usual, but he didn't look upset either.
Carries: Sturdy Clothes, Scroll Satchel, Inquisitor's Strike (Wakizashi, counts as Jade), Jade netsuke

Kaiu Aiichiro

Post by Kaiu Aiichiro » Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:58 am

He bows politely to Saburo, adjusting his hair behind his ear.
"I believe I will fare averagely. I'm no trained duelist, but I'm trained on the sword nevertheless. What about the greatest student of Hirosaka?"
◘ Crab Clan ♦ Bushi/Artisan ♦ ProfileJournal ♦ UTC -4 ♦ Rolls List Status | 2.0 ♦ Glory | 3.5 ♦ Topaz Points | 208
Carry › Sturdy clothing, sandals, haori, finger of jade, war fans, water bottle, fan, coin bag, 1 koku and 10 zeni.

Asako Saburo

Post by Asako Saburo » Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:02 pm

"I am..." He had thoughts that roiled in his head, though they had nothing to do with Aiichiro. Taryu Jiai was incredibly dangerous, and its use was not something ever taken lightly, given the amount of damage that any shugenja could wield. The students were to use training weapons, but there were no training spells here. But, he shelved it. Nodding. "I have a great deal of faith in my abilities. I look forward to facing off against Toritaka-san if we have the chance. The thought of facing my fiance in that fashion is a rare thing. I doubt it would happen ever again for the two of us, so I both wish and do not wish to be paired opposite her."

He glanced at the Kaiu curiously for a moment, as if gauging his reaction to the name. Had he heard the same rumors?

Kaiu Aiichiro

Post by Kaiu Aiichiro » Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:12 pm

He just nodded slightly with his head normally on response. "It should be a good experience to have time to know yourselves such. To meet my fianceé even by letters I had not when she was alive. Has a friendship been forged between the two of you?" He tried to probe.

Asako Saburo

Post by Asako Saburo » Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:41 pm

He nodded at the words. There wasn't sympathy there, but there was understanding. Death was an ever present reality in the south after all. Aiichiro didn't seem to be asking for such anyway. "Toritaka-san and I have been in regular correspondence since the time of our training among the Ruby Champion's chosen. We've been aware of the negotiations for some time, so yes. I suppose you could say that there is a certain closeness. It is important if one has the chance to know one's future spouse. I am pleased with the match." It was all a very roundabout way of saying that yes, they were close. However, it was not proper to speak of one's affections as a samurai. Such a thing was not shared publicly, after all.

"I trust Toritaka-san implicitly. I would not wish it any other way with one who I share my home." Once again, a roundabout, but he hoped that the meaning there was clear enough. "Would you not agree that this should be so?"

Kaiu Aiichiro

Post by Kaiu Aiichiro » Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:05 pm

If it was any other context, he could believe those two were merely very close friends. Still, Saburo gave him a valuable hint. It was Sasaiko. And Saburo knew it. Poor guy, he was disiluded if he thought they were close if Sasaiko was searching an affair.
"On my lands, one is allowed to marry those they wish to. I thought you maybe knew of this fact. It leads to many inter-clan love marriages in a sweet arrangement."

Asako Saburo

Post by Asako Saburo » Sun Aug 23, 2020 12:35 am

"A ... romantic pairing is a rarer thing in other land. A bit of a desired thing for some, and for others seen as a distraction." His tone was a bit level there. He fell into the former, but the latter was what was expected and he knew it. "If affection and happiness in a pleasant household can be had, it is Hotei's blessing upon those who live there and Benten's smile shining upon them as well. But trust is first and foremost and I am pleased to say that I have no reason to distrust my fiance. She is a good, faithful and honorable woman. Just as I am quite certain that, when you are so blessed, you will be an equally good husband. You've never been an untrustworthy person in the time I've known you, Kaiu-san."

He hoped his message was clear. Yeah, he'd heard the rumor and it did irritate the hell out of him. That was warring on his face. However, he actually trusted Sasaiko here completely, and he'd seen no sign that Kaiu was the kind of person who... and finally. He just pinched at the bridge of his nose and sighed before chuckling. "Also, neither of you are the sorts of people so bold as to do something quite so flagrant in front of Kakita Toshimoko-dono. I still... can't believe Togashi-san... he really does wear his heart on his sleeve, doesn't he?" There was actually a hint of affection as he said that.

"If I were not about to become samurai, I might say I was a little jealous of that boldness at times. But I am, so I will not."

Kaiu Aiichiro

Post by Kaiu Aiichiro » Sun Aug 23, 2020 12:50 am

"Do you believe the entire thing was a jest or that Toritaka-san sent it to me and a jest being what you want to believe it to be?" He asked it finally, somewhat confused. Being a Crab gave you pass for somethings uncouth. "Just, regardless, you don't need to worry. You could put it that I'm only interested on my equals. I just don't want to somehow receive the blame for something I received instead of sent."

Asako Saburo

Post by Asako Saburo » Sun Aug 23, 2020 2:01 am

"No, it really isn't in her nature to jest in that fashion anymore than it is her nature to be deceptive. Her jests are smaller, simpler things." A shake of his head followed. If they were to speak of it in less veiled terms? He could handle that. It was just the two of them. "Besides, you are both people of considerable... for lack of a better word? Decorum. Whatever you might lack in understanding the court, you both avoid making waves, as I do. That act? That was a rock thrown into the water. I doubt even Kokyou would be quite that brazen. Someone was throwing egg on both your faces. Were I to know who? I would have words with them, as I sure would you both. But, if nothing further comes of it... then it is a matter to let lay."

He snorted once. "We have plenty of difficulties as is. We don't need to be worrying about this, and I'd rather you not. I will say the same to Toritaka-san when I see her next, if there is a time that does not call attention to it improperly." Again... he felt jealous of Dao. Propriety was painfully strict about trying to keep all these things in control and not in public. It was... irritating.

"I am honestly not even sure if the jest targeted one or the other of you more."

Return to “Shrine to the Fortunes”