(D6; EA) Centering herself

The rooms for the Students currently studying at the Academy
Otomo Nobuko

Re: (D6; EA) Centering herself

Post by Otomo Nobuko » Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:45 am

"Nor do I. But that does not mean you cannot do well in the tournament. There are twenty bushi, seven courtiers, and four monks. The bushi will be part of Iai, the courtiers and monks can choose to pick up a sword. You might not win, but you could come in second or third."
Imperial * Artisan * Courtier * Different School * Enlightened * Sacrosanct * Beautiful Soul * Experienced
Honor: Exceptional | Status: 3.5 | Glory: 4.5 | Final Topaz Points: 249
Beautiful Clothing, Fan, Gloves, Wicker Umbrella, Personal Chop, Knot of Happiness Netsuke, Bejeweled Lizard-Shaped Ear Cuff on Left Ear

Kaito Haruki

Post by Kaito Haruki » Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:51 am

"I never said I would not do well, only that I doubt I will win. I can not speak for how the others will do, so I will not speak on exactly where I will place."
Proper full name is Isawa Kunio of House Kaito: Bushi,Courtier Mons: Chest: Phoenix R Shoulder: Isawa L Shoulder: Kaito Honor: 6.1 Glory: 4.9 Status: 2 Wound Status: Healthy Phoenix Clan TP: 224
Water Bottle, Coin Purse, Fan, Jade Finger

Otomo Nobuko

Post by Otomo Nobuko » Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:02 am

She held her tongue for a moment, then nodded, "Not making assumptions is a good idea. It allows you to accept what you achieve without disappointment for not meeting expectations. Perhaps I should do the same."
Imperial * Artisan * Courtier * Different School * Enlightened * Sacrosanct * Beautiful Soul * Experienced
Beautiful Clothing, Fan, Gloves, Wicker Umbrella, Personal Chop, Knot of Happiness Netsuke, Bejeweled Lizard-Shaped Ear Cuff on Left Ear

Kaito Haruki

Post by Kaito Haruki » Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:47 am

"Besides, whatever expectations I have, do not do justice to Isawa Tanshin-San. He did leagues better than he ever did in Hirosaka."
Proper full name is Isawa Kunio of House Kaito: Bushi,Courtier Mons: Chest: Phoenix R Shoulder: Isawa L Shoulder: Kaito Honor: 6.1 Glory: 4.9 Status: 2 Wound Status: Healthy Phoenix Clan TP: 224

Otomo Nobuko

Post by Otomo Nobuko » Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:57 am

"He has performed admirably," she said, though it was clear her opinion of him was not high as she continued, "Though one might also say that the kami he has called to assist him throughout were the ones that performed well and he... merely the vessel for their whims."

Kaito Haruki

Post by Kaito Haruki » Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:02 am

"None of the sensei called out any of the shugenja for using spells. He just did significantly better than the rest. Ide Hazrat is notable in that despite using spells, he still took no risks in any events."

(Ooc pointing out how despite both parties having spells to help them out, neither one had similar results and want her opinion. Likely asking in a more scholarly way, not sure how to word that though)

Otomo Nobuko

Post by Otomo Nobuko » Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:28 am

"They have not," she agreed. "But that could merely be a test of how much they treat the act of calling upon the spirits to aid them with respect, or if they will do so flippantly, for any reason."

She set her cup down, now empty.

"Asako Saburo-san has not called on the kami in such a manner since his very first test and looked rather ashamed of himself for doing so. I believe he recognized that doing such not only gave him an advantage, but was disrespectful to the nature of the forces he called on as well as those around him who must use only their own abilities to get through the tests."

"My thoughts on it are more pointed, I think, than many. But if they will call on the kami for such a small reason, then are the abilities and skills they display theirs, or are they the spirits? And what will occur if the kami take offense to being used in such a manner and withdraw their support? Can we rely on them to execute their duties when deprived of such aid? And if the kami do so when it is important for them to be on their side, what of those who were looking to them for protection?"

-----
OOC:

In every event thread there is the line:
"Also please remember that Spellcasting in Rokugan is a very spiritual thing, and to ask for the kami to do something for you is an incredibly rare thing and should not be done lightly."
This way of thinking is deeply ingrained into her and seeing the kami at work usually brings awe to her, however small the working.

She sees the work of Tanshin, Prashant, and everyone else who has been regularly casting spells to help themselves as an affront to the spirits and the kami and everything she has been taught growing up. This is not just a use of personal skills and abilities, this is calling on an outside force for help and doing so at basically the drop of a hat.

She's given some personal leeway to those who have used their abilities to help others, including the named above after the fire and their aid in putting it out, but by and large she is not impressed and not happy with what she's seeing. Zashi she doesn't judge as harshly because he's a special case - he's Fox Clan and superstitions are such that he might have spirit blood in him so who is she to question his use too deeply? But otherwise, she's had her opinion drop pretty steadily and is illustrating that with her point above.

She's not really offended by the points results. She's offended at how often the kami are being called upon 'lightly'. if that makes sense?

Kaito Haruki

Post by Kaito Haruki » Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:14 am

"I cannot pretend to know how their connection with the kami are, so I will not comment on that other than to say they have been trained by their sensei. "

Otomo Nobuko

Post by Otomo Nobuko » Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:19 am

"Indeed, they have," she agreed, smiling sweetly.

"Shall I pour more for you?"

Kaito Haruki

Post by Kaito Haruki » Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:23 am

"I thank you for the offer, but I am afraid I have other things I will need to attend to before the celebration tonight and I believe my other clothes should be clean enough to go out again."

/end scene?

Otomo Nobuko

Post by Otomo Nobuko » Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:53 am

"Then I shall see you tonight."

/Scene! Thanks for the thread :D

Return to “Student Rooms”