(Day 3, EA) Mandatory Event: Horseback Riding

Vutall

(Day 3, EA) Mandatory Event: Horseback Riding

Post by Vutall » Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:14 pm

• Air is precise, distant, and analytical. Air does not approach the matter directly, but with care, subtlety, and planning.
  • Earth is firm, grounded, and cautious. Earth prefers to act decisively, but only after due consideration.
  • Fire is passionate, inventive, and direct. Fire acts swiftly and with overwhelming force.
  • Water is flexible, responsive, and powerful. Water acts with confidence, flowing around the problem until it finds a solution.
  • Void is the element of no element, the mind of no mind. Void does not think, plan, or react. Void simply acts, moving in accordance with instinct and the natural path of the cosmos
Once the students complete their obstacle course, they are led by Utaku Oichi, a beautiful and youthful looking Battle Maiden, to a section of field adjacent to the course. It has a long series of ropes and flags that have been erected for the horseback riding trial

"The horse is a key ally in a Samurai's life. The majestic animal not only bears its rider into battle, but its swift feet also carry messages throughout the Empire and its strength pulls goods along our roads. All who claim the status of One Who Serves must be familiar with them and have both the respect for what they do, and the ability to utilize them effectively."

Again, the students are split off into pairs, each pair being led to two waiting horses.

Judge Ring Hint:
"To tame a steed, you must be as fierce and bold as the horse, direct and without hesitation. Good luck!"
Event Rules:
Participants: Unlimited (Mandatory Event)

Spells: Allowed, Each roll is considered a "Round". You cast the spell just before the event begins and may not cast during.
Kiho: Allowed, each roll is considered a "Round", Kiho must be activated at the start of the event, not during.
Kata: Not Allowed, as this is not a Combat.
Tattoos: Allowed, as each roll is considered a "Round" and you may use free actions at any time.

You may NOT target an opponent with any of these abilities before the event begins.

If you purposefully harm an opponent outside of the realm of the Sumai event (By winning the contested Jiujutsu roll) or the Weaponry event (By winning the contested Weapon roll) you loose 1.0 honor and 10 topaz points. If you do so a second time, you will be sent home in shame, removed from the tournament (and thus the game)

Also please remember that Spellcasting in Rokugan is a very spiritual thing, and to ask for the kami to do something for you is an incredibly rare thing and should not be done lightly.

Please find the Thread that has your name in the title and make your post, conducting all rolls in the post.

Select a Ring to use during this event. Unless the roll specifically mentions a trait, you must use that ring for the entire event.

NOTE: If your roll on any Horsemanship roll is 10 or less, the horse bucks you off and you suffer 2k1 (exploding) damage, keeping high dice, and cannot continue rolling in the event, your opponent winning.
  • Roll 1: Mount the horse: Animal Handling / Mental, TN 15 (Failure on this roll increases the Horsemanship rolls TNs by 10) - This roll does not grant Topaz Points and does not qualify for any Additional Point rewards.
  • Roll 2: Ride the course to the flag; Horsemanship (Rokugani Pony) / Physical, TN 15 -
  • Roll 3: Grab flag: Athletics / Physical, TN 20
  • Roll 4: Ride the course to the start: Horsemanship (Rokugani Pony) / Physical, TN 20
  • Roll 5: Ride the course to the ring and lance it: Animal Handling / Physical 25
  • Roll 6: Return to the start: Horsemanship / Physical, TN 25
Rewards:
-For each roll excluding the initial Animal Handling roll, Passing the roll on the first attempt grants +1 Topaz Point (Maximum 5 possible)
-Extra raises on each roll grant +2 Topaz points if you pass the roll on the first attempt
-Exceptional Success Raises may be utilized if you possess the skill you are rolling, each exceptional success (Up to your Void) granting +1 Topaz points if you pass the roll on the first attempt.

The student with more Topaz Points from this event than their opponent in the thread wins and gains +10 Topaz Points.

At the end of the event, Utaku Oichi will reveal which Ring she felt was the most appropriate and you will gain +7 Topaz Points if you used it.

After the event, players may attempt to Meditate to restore void points if they have not already done so. If they fell in the mud during the Obstacle Course, the TN is increased by +10 as the sensation of the mud drying and sticking to you and your clothes is distracting.
Trickling down while we're dying of hunger.

Vutall

Re: (Day 3, EA) Mandatory Event: Horseback Riding

Post by Vutall » Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:34 am

Akodo Kichiro vs Ikoma Nijiro
Asako Saburo vs Kaiu Aiichiro

Bayushi Jiro vs Kuni Yotsuo
Bayushi Kaidan vs Kokyou

Doji Hiroyuki vs Yasuki Jun NPC
Doji Kotomi Kakita Riko NPC

Ide Hazrat vs Kitsune Zashi
Ikoma Eichiro vs Mirumoto Hinata NPC
Iuchi Prashant vs Moto Ichiro

Kaito Kai vs Isawa Tanshin
Kakita Kazuko vs Kitsu Tsubasa NPC
Kakita Kenji vs Yasuki Ginkarasu
Kitsuki Asasi vs Hitoshi NPC

Mai vs Toritaka Sasaiko
Matsu Qiang vs Kaito Haruki
Mirai vs Bayushi Mei Lin NPC
Miya Wyn vs Utaku Nesrin

Togashi Dao vs Shiba Tōya NPC

Otomo Nobuko vs Utaku Himeko NPC

Utaku Ichiro vs Moto Batbayar NPC

Vutall

Post by Vutall » Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:05 am

Players may post observations/roleplay in this thread!

Additionally, anything that might effect other competitors should be posted here

Mirai

Post by Mirai » Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:06 am

Just before the event started, Mirai made her way into the stables to check on the horse she would be riding. After giving it a greeting, she visited a few of the other horses, stopping at one to give it a little treat before making her way out to await her turn.
-----------------------

22 Medicine
29 Sleight of Hand
Ronin | Bushi | Duelist | Versatile | Odd
Carries: Daishi, Ashigaru Armor, Travelling Pack

Vutall

Post by Vutall » Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:07 am

((Players may attempt to spot Mirai sabotaging the horse! Investigation / Perception at TN 29))

Kaiu Aiichiro

Post by Kaiu Aiichiro » Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:14 am

Walking over the stables whilst waiting his match to start, he notices Mirai there feeding a horse. He approaches. "Oh, Mirai? Nice of you to be taking care of them. Do you like horses?" He asked. Maybe she had Unicorn ties.

D2 EA - Investigation/Perception (+5 TN penalty): 5d10o10k3-5 37 (I'm laughing that I did it)
◘ Crab Clan ♦ Bushi/Artisan ♦ ProfileJournal ♦ UTC -4 ♦ Rolls List Status | 2.0 ♦ Glory | 3.5 ♦ Topaz Points | 208
Health › Healthy (15) ♦ Honor › What is expected.
Carry › Sturdy clothing, sandals, haori, finger of jade, war fans, water bottle, fan, coin bag, 1 koku and 10 zeni.
Mons › Back: Crab Clan | Left shoulder: Kaiu | Right chest: Personal mon

Mirai

Post by Mirai » Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:24 am

Mirai turned with a slight smile at the Kaiu and gave one last pet to the horse before giving him a deep bow. "Kaiu-sama, it is an honor to see you once more. I do enjoy horses, hai, though they are not something I can afford to keep and take care of myself. How do you believe you will be doing in today's race?"

Kaito Haruki

Post by Kaito Haruki » Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:26 am

(Holding out on mine for match with Hazrat)
Proper full name is Isawa Kunio of House Kaito: Bushi,Courtier Mons: Chest: Phoenix R Shoulder: Isawa L Shoulder: Kaito Honor: 6.1 Glory: 4.9 Status: 2 Wound Status: Healthy Phoenix Clan TP: 224
Water Bottle, Coin Purse, Fan, Jade Finger

Kaiu Aiichiro

Post by Kaiu Aiichiro » Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:49 am

"Honestly? Not that well. Had a drinking competition last night with some of the other contestors. I won, and I'm still with some headache. All the sounds annoy me and I didn't do very well in the obstacles course anyway." He said. "Anyway, I was looking for you. Here." He hands forward a book.

(Still didn't decide on the title of the book so you can choose that, but it is a pillow book novel based on historical events)
◘ Crab Clan ♦ Bushi/Artisan ♦ ProfileJournal ♦ UTC -4 ♦ Rolls List Status | 2.0 ♦ Glory | 3.5 ♦ Topaz Points | 208
Carry › Sturdy clothing, sandals, haori, finger of jade, war fans, water bottle, fan, coin bag, 1 koku and 10 zeni.

Kitsuki Asahi

Post by Kitsuki Asahi » Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:04 am

"Hai. The drink left an impression." Asahi said as he approached. "Thank you, for checking on the horse. I believe this is the one I've been assigned."

- - -
(Day 3, EA) Mandatory Event: Horseback Riding, Investigation (Notice)/Perception, Hangover -5, Investigation Mastery +5, Kitsuki FR, TN 29: 9d10ro1o10k4 26 Hangover Cure Adjustment and Raise Adjustment: 36

Edited for Hangover Cure Adjustment
Last edited by Kitsuki Asahi on Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
Dragon ▪︎ Courtier ▪︎ Investigator ▪︎ Artisan ▪︎ Smith ▪︎ Unlucky
Status 1 ▪︎ Glory 1 ▪︎ Honor: Exceptional ▪︎ Topaz Points: 155

Carries: Wakizashi, Knife, Fan, Seal, Water

Mirai

Post by Mirai » Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:10 am

Brushing some of her short hair back behind an ear, Mirai reached forward to take the book carefully. The Kobune of Fumoki was an interesting title, and she'd only heard a little about the man. She held it back, holding a deep bow. "I could not keep this Kaiu-sama, or even borrow it. Surely a tale of the Crab belongs in the hands of one of their own."

Kaiu Aiichiro

Post by Kaiu Aiichiro » Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:42 am

He noticed the Kitsuki approaching, but made merely looked at him sideways. Was not going to talk to him until the giftgiving was over, it was usually rude to disturb conversations according those imperial etiquette books. "If a tale isn't to be told to others, what is it a tale for? I insist on it being passed to you."

Kaito Haruki

Post by Kaito Haruki » Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:16 am

(Screw it, there's no damage in athletics so rolling now.)

D3 EA: Investigation/Perception TN 29, noticing Mirai's actions, hungover: 7d10o10k4-5 20
Haruki doesn't notice.
Proper full name is Isawa Kunio of House Kaito: Bushi,Courtier Mons: Chest: Phoenix R Shoulder: Isawa L Shoulder: Kaito Honor: 6.1 Glory: 4.9 Status: 2 Wound Status: Healthy Phoenix Clan TP: 224
Water Bottle, Coin Purse, Fan, Jade Finger

Mirai

Post by Mirai » Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:57 am

The ronin didn't even glance away from Aiichiro. "I do not deny tales are meant to be shared, but I cannot take it when you could tell me. This one is unworthy of such a gift."

Kaiu Aiichiro

Post by Kaiu Aiichiro » Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:02 am

"I fear it would be impossible for me to tell them to you when I never read it myself. There is only one way for this history to be told." He replies.

Kokyou

Post by Kokyou » Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:15 am

After taking some time putting the horse back to its place on the stables and thinking how he could have paid additional focus into actually riding it back without help, Kokyou sees the other competitors and greets them with a nod.
Last edited by Kokyou on Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mantis • Bushi • Shugenja • Jock • Charismatic • Dashing • Buff • Stud • Proud • Smug • Hero • Unique
DescriptionTheme • Honor: A Soul Above Question • Status: 2.0 • Glory: 6.1 • Infamy 1.0

TN to be recognized: 15
Wears: Sturdy Clothing, Coin Purse, Pipe, Fan
Combat: Light Armor, 2 Kama, 2 Tanto

Mirai

Post by Mirai » Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:28 am

It was a good thing that was the third offer, as Mirai wasn't certain where to go from there. She even let out a soft sigh and a faint smile as she finally properly took it. "Domo arigato gozaimasu, Kaiu-sama. I will have to tell you the story after I finish then."

Kaiu Aiichiro

Post by Kaiu Aiichiro » Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:30 am

"This may be hard. I don't know exactly where I am to be placed in the wall. The officer post given to me near my dojo was temporary. Well, of course, without a lord, you have all time in the world to linger around the Crab, so there's that." He replies and looks to Asahi.

Mirai

Post by Mirai » Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:34 am

"When you are a wanderer for life, you find out quickly how to track someone down. I will try to write you if I can at least, no matter how this contest turns out." She did not yet turn herself.

Kaiu Aiichiro

Post by Kaiu Aiichiro » Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:37 am

"I know it is better to carry as little as possible in the road, and that you have no place to guard your things. So may I ask you a favor? Not to discard it by any means before you read at least half of it?"

Return to “Horseback Riding Matches”