(Day 2, LM) Welcome Ceremony

Zashi

Re: (Day 2, LM) Welcome Ceremony

Post by Zashi » Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:31 am

"Hmmm..." Zashi offers his most coquettish look, eyes dancing with innocent enthusiasm. "But you said that he could be the second best in this whole competition! And we are supposed to be the best the Clans could offer in our generation. There would be so few." Zashi drums his fingers on his chin with some theater. "Perhaps Mai of the Mantis. She placed among the highest in our Dojo, but..." Zashi feeds what he is sure to be something Kotomi finds objectionable
Fox Clan | Shugenja | Smol | Quirky AF
"I may run and hide, but I'll never tell a lie."
Honor: What is Expected | Glory: 2.7| Status: 1.0 | Topaz Points:

Asako Saburo

Post by Asako Saburo » Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:34 am

For his part, Saburo went through all of the appropriate motions. Simple, straightforward bows each in accordance with someone's standing. He remained quiet among the Phoenix delegation to the competition and listened intently to the words of Yukimi as they spoke to the potential candidates. A portion of him still imagined himself wearing the armor of the Topaz Champion when this was done, but that voice was smaller now. His perception of events was ... broader than it had once been. Today was like one drop of water in a broadening series of ripples, the surface of their lives undulating outwards.

(OOC: PM if you approach.)
Phoenix Clan * Shugenja * Void * Sickly * Hypochondriac
Topaz Points: 212
Carries: Sturdy Clothes, Scroll Satchel, Inquisitor's Strike (Wakizashi, counts as Jade), Jade netsuke

Mirai

Post by Mirai » Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:43 am

Kaiu Aiichiro wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:37 am
"I'm a battlemaster, warrior and weaponsmith." He replies. "What is your art? And your name?" He asks again, not remembering it from all those days before.
She gave another bow, slighter this time as it was just a courtesy at a reintroduction. "Mirai, Kaiu-sama. As for my art... I am not certain I have one that I am particularly good at. I enjoy doing calligraphy, but I've dabbled in painting and ikebana before, with a little bit of gardening when given the chance to learn."
Ronin | Bushi | Duelist | Versatile | Odd
Carries: Daishi, Ashigaru Armor, Travelling Pack

Kakita Kenji

Post by Kakita Kenji » Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:47 am

Asako Saburo wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:34 am
For his part, Saburo went through all of the appropriate motions. Simple, straightforward bows each in accordance with someone's standing. He remained quiet among the Phoenix delegation to the competition and listened intently to the words of Yukimi as they spoke to the potential candidates. A portion of him still imagined himself wearing the armor of the Topaz Champion when this was done, but that voice was smaller now. His perception of events was ... broader than it had once been. Today was like one drop of water in a broadening series of ripples, the surface of their lives undulating outwards.

(OOC: PM if you approach.)
Was that? Of course it was! Kenji went after Saburo, a little eager. "Greetings, Saburo-san!" he said friendly and bowed. "Say how have you been?" he asked friendly.
Crane Clan | Bushi & Artisan | Your friendly&idealistic neighbourhood Samurai | UTC +2 | Profile
Honour: Exceptional | Status: 2.0 | Glory: 5.0 | Infamy: 1.0 | Topaz Points: 95
Gear: Sturdy Clothing, Sandals, Travelling Pack

"You own every word you speak" - Shinsei

Kaiu Aiichiro

Post by Kaiu Aiichiro » Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:50 am

Mirai wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:43 am
Kaiu Aiichiro wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:37 am
"I'm a battlemaster, warrior and weaponsmith." He replies. "What is your art? And your name?" He asks again, not remembering it from all those days before.
She gave another bow, slighter this time as it was just a courtesy at a reintroduction. "Mirai, Kaiu-sama. As for my art... I am not certain I have one that I am particularly good at. I enjoy doing calligraphy, but I've dabbled in painting and ikebana before, with a little bit of gardening when given the chance to learn."
"May you share your calligraphy with me? I have paper and inks with me. If you don't have the materials, I can provide." He replies. "Eager to see it. Why did you pick up calligraphy? It's not the most obvious art for ronin." He recalled many of them barely were literate, growing curious. "Did someone teach it to you?"
◘ Crab Clan ♦ Bushi/Artisan ♦ ProfileJournal ♦ UTC -4 ♦ Rolls List Status | 2.0 ♦ Glory | 3.5 ♦ Topaz Points | 208
Health › Healthy (15) ♦ Honor › What is expected.
Carry › Sturdy clothing, sandals, haori, finger of jade, war fans, water bottle, fan, coin bag, 1 koku and 10 zeni.
Mons › Back: Crab Clan | Left shoulder: Kaiu | Right chest: Personal mon

Mirai

Post by Mirai » Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:53 am

So many questions. For a moment she seemed uncertain, but finally she nodded. "I have paper, but only charcoal for writing. I was in part self taught, but I also had some monks train me as I traveled. I enjoyed reading as I went around, and calligraphy seemed to come naturally with it."

Togashi Dao

Post by Togashi Dao » Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:00 am

Keeping quietly to himself, Dao watched the ceremony unfold.

((AFK for most of D2, but thought I should make an appearance))
Dragon Clan • Monk • Battlemaster •
Honor: Expected • Status: 2.0 • Glory: 1.7 • Infamy: 1,0
Gear: Student Clothing, Go set.

Kaiu Aiichiro

Post by Kaiu Aiichiro » Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:17 am

Mirai wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:53 am
So many questions. For a moment she seemed uncertain, but finally she nodded. "I have paper, but only charcoal for writing. I was in part self taught, but I also had some monks train me as I traveled. I enjoyed reading as I went around, and calligraphy seemed to come naturally with it."
"Oh, I also like reading. Reading pillow books more than the technical ones, though many somewhat academic ones not properly technical were still an interesting read, like the Seppuku of Akodo Meikuko. I think it's not so common, but it's one of my favourites. But my really favourite one is A Gathering of One Hundred Supernatural Tales. Ever read a tale or two from it?"
◘ Crab Clan ♦ Bushi/Artisan ♦ ProfileJournal ♦ UTC -4 ♦ Rolls List Status | 2.0 ♦ Glory | 3.5 ♦ Topaz Points | 208
Carry › Sturdy clothing, sandals, haori, finger of jade, war fans, water bottle, fan, coin bag, 1 koku and 10 zeni.

Otomo Nobuko

Post by Otomo Nobuko » Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:22 am

Bayushi Kaidan wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:06 pm

The girl shook her head. "My Daidoji training took me there to learn divination techniques." The girl is not lying, and neither is the boy behind the mask. The Bayushi indeed had been training in Shinden Asahina for half of the past year. "I am no priestess Otomo sama, a mere warrior of the clan."
"Forgive my assumption, Daidoji-san," she replied, feeling a little relieved that she had not mis-remembered Kaidan's training. "Has your divination training been well? I am most interested in the art of fortune telling and the insights gained from it. As many who are betrothed, I hope to ensure the day of my wedding and several other events leading up to it are on auspicious days and free of ill omens. As such, I have sought out a well respected fortune-teller of the Shika to divine the best days for my wedding to bring luck and happiness. But there are other events I have not asked about...

"Ah! My apologies again. I am getting away from myself. I am simply very excited to meet one who has trained in those arts!"
Imperial * Artisan * Courtier * Different School * Enlightened * Sacrosanct * Beautiful Soul * Experienced
Honor: Exceptional | Status: 3.5 | Glory: 4.5 | Final Topaz Points: 249
Beautiful Clothing, Fan, Gloves, Wicker Umbrella, Personal Chop, Knot of Happiness Netsuke, Bejeweled Lizard-Shaped Ear Cuff on Left Ear

Mirai

Post by Mirai » Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:35 am

Kaiu Aiichiro wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:17 am
"Oh, I also like reading. Reading pillow books more than the technical ones, though many somewhat academic ones not properly technical were still an interesting read, like the Seppuku of Akodo Meikuko. I think it's not so common, but it's one of my favourites. But my really favourite one is A Gathering of One Hundred Supernatural Tales. Ever read a tale or two from it?"
"Since most of the reading I did were at temple's that had scrolls, such as those to Fukurokujin, I did not have much access to pillow books or works or stories. A lot of... religious texts, but also histories and records. I suppose it would all seem a bit dry, but to me, there was a contentment found in just reading about all the people and things that had come before me." Though she was a fine example of On and poise as usual, there was just a hint of sheepishness on her face.

Asako Saburo

Post by Asako Saburo » Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:08 am

Kakita Kenji wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:47 am
Was that? Of course it was! Kenji went after Saburo, a little eager. "Greetings, Saburo-san!" he said friendly and bowed. "Say how have you been?" he asked friendly.
Saburo caught sight of Kenji's approach when they were afforded a moment and bowed to the Crane with a smile on his face. "Well well. I was wondering when the two of us would see each other again. You are looking well," he said, his eyes and grin having a wolfish twist. "Your kin have come out in force this year it seems. You have more competition than just I, and I've heard there is supposed to be quite a skilled Lion among the competitors." Not that he believed it yet. Lion were great, but great duelists far more rarely.
Carries: Sturdy Clothes, Scroll Satchel, Inquisitor's Strike (Wakizashi, counts as Jade), Jade netsuke

Kaiu Aiichiro

Post by Kaiu Aiichiro » Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:16 am

Mirai wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:35 am
Kaiu Aiichiro wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:17 am
"Since most of the reading I did were at temple's that had scrolls, such as those to Fukurokujin, I did not have much access to pillow books or works or stories. A lot of... religious texts, but also histories and records. I suppose it would all seem a bit dry, but to me, there was a contentment found in just reading about all the people and things that had come before me." Though she was a fine example of On and poise as usual, there was just a hint of sheepishness on her face.

"Oh Hida's lost son, you never ever read a pillow book? If I had one with me I could lend them to you. But I had to choose between it and a piece of flint, and even though I'm not a boringly practical person, there are priorities. Although passing time alone without even a book near has been somewhat annoying, but oddly refreshing."

Kakita Kenji

Post by Kakita Kenji » Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:19 am

Asako Saburo wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:08 am
Kakita Kenji wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:47 am
Saburo caught sight of Kenji's approach when they were afforded a moment and bowed to the Crane with a smile on his face. "Well well. I was wondering when the two of us would see each other again. You are looking well," he said, his eyes and grin having a wolfish twist. "Your kin have come out in force this year it seems. You have more competition than just I, and I've heard there is supposed to be quite a skilled Lion among the competitors." Not that he believed it yet. Lion were great, but great duelists far more rarely.
"Well, Saburo-san, the Kakita Akedemie tries to train as many excellent samurai as possible," he said with a smile. "It's just a pity that there will be a separate Shugenja duel, I would have loved to face you in the final," he said with determination. "Well, it just so happens that I will be competing against Matsu Quiang-san later on, I hope there will be a nice Sumai match, I don't want to disgrace Hida-Sensei"
Crane Clan | Bushi & Artisan | Your friendly&idealistic neighbourhood Samurai | UTC +2 | Profile

Bayushi Kaidan

Post by Bayushi Kaidan » Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:26 am

Otomo Nobuko wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:22 am
"Forgive my assumption, Daidoji-san," she replied, feeling a little relieved that she had not mis-remembered Kaidan's training. "Has your divination training been well? I am most interested in the art of fortune telling and the insights gained from it. As many who are betrothed, I hope to ensure the day of my wedding and several other events leading up to it are on auspicious days and free of ill omens. As such, I have sought out a well respected fortune-teller of the Shika to divine the best days for my wedding to bring luck and happiness. But there are other events I have not asked about...

"Ah! My apologies again. I am getting away from myself. I am simply very excited to meet one who has trained in those arts!"

Ateko nodded. "It was insightful to say the least. As spirits and the different fortunes may say different things." She sighed. "But my training in divination was short lived since I had to continue my training in Iaido. It took most of my time trying to get that one strike move."
Chosen Name: Bayushi Gakihiro
♦ Scorpion ♦ Bushi ♦ Androgenous ♦Hated by Ghosts ♦Hates Frogs ♦Random Samurai #46 ☆Insensitive ☆Wanderer ☆Silent ☆Dr. Antidote ☆Experienced 1
Only wears the Scorpion Mon
Honor: Untrustworthy Status: 1 Glory: 1
Cat:Ninya
"I wear many mask, none is me"

Asako Saburo

Post by Asako Saburo » Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:42 am

Kakita Kenji wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:19 am
"Well, Saburo-san, the Kakita Akedemie tries to train as many excellent samurai as possible," he said with a smile. "It's just a pity that there will be a separate Shugenja duel, I would have loved to face you in the final," he said with determination. "Well, it just so happens that I will be competing against Matsu Quiang-san later on, I hope there will be a nice Sumai match, I don't want to disgrace Hida-Sensei"
"I have been informed, not that I regret the study of Iai. I am finding that it is a rather unique way to practice oneness and clarity within the void. A different form of meditation, if you will." He nodded as he said it, his grin still nice and fierce. "But as you say. We will not have the chance to pit our skills against each other properly in that form through the competition. But I am going to enjoy watching that match. A Matsu is not to be underestimated in Sumai. I doubt your kinsman Kakita Riku will be any slough off herself."

Kakita Kenji

Post by Kakita Kenji » Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:45 am

Asako Saburo wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:42 am
"She is quite determined, though a little,... grim? You should meet Kotomi-san, she has the same fire as you" Kenji countered. "Well, when this is all over you can show me your stance" Kenji said jokingly, even though the offer was there.

Asako Saburo

Post by Asako Saburo » Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:00 am

Kakita Kenji wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:45 am
"I fully intend to do just that," he said, nodding vigorously. "And yes. I had heard a rumor that she was a grim figure, though I've been told often enough by Kokyou that I have a grave countenance." He snorted and laughed once, a quick bark of one.

"Who is this Kotomi? I have heard all of you are talented students of the school, but I know of very little of her in particular."

Kakita Kenji

Post by Kakita Kenji » Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:04 am

Asako Saburo wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:00 am
Kakita Kenji wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:45 am
"I fully intend to do just that," he said, nodding vigorously. "And yes. I had heard a rumor that she was a grim figure, though I've been told often enough by Kokyou that I have a grave countenance." He snorted and laughed once, a quick bark of one.

"Who is this Kotomi? I have heard all of you are talented students of the school, but I know of very little of her in particular."
"A Childhood friend of mine,... and self proclaimed star of the Dojo" he smiled, "Even though, i have to admit that she is very good with the Blade. I think, only Kazuko-cha,.. -san can really Match her on that."

Mirai

Post by Mirai » Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:39 am

Kaiu Aiichiro wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:16 am
"Oh Hida's lost son, you never ever read a pillow book? If I had one with me I could lend them to you. But I had to choose between it and a piece of flint, and even though I'm not a boringly practical person, there are priorities. Although passing time alone without even a book near has been somewhat annoying, but oddly refreshing."
"Well, I'm not adverse to the idea or anything, so perhaps I can find one in town for the tournament?" She rubbed the back of her neck a bit awkwardly before shrugging. "There must be some sort of stall that has books for those visiting, hai?"

Asako Saburo

Post by Asako Saburo » Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:41 am

Kakita Kenji wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:04 am
"A Childhood friend of mine,... and self proclaimed star of the Dojo" he smiled, "Even though, i have to admit that she is very good with the Blade. I think, only Kazuko-cha,.. -san can really Match her on that."
"The question then being whether specialization has limited her capacities in other fields, a peril of its own I am told in these competitions. As much as the Iai tournament will be the heart and soul of the final standings, we are not at the final day yet, are we Kakita-san?" He nodded as much to himself as anything. "I know that all the varied lessons we've received so far will be ... helpful in preparing for the full tournament itself. Ah, but enough of this. How have you been the last year? Do you have any news of late?"

He had some of his own, but this was ... a touch public to go and just shout that he was betrothed. there were other times and places.

Return to “The Kakita Dueling Academy”