A Leisurely Arrival (D1, LM, Open)

Utaku Ichiro

A Leisurely Arrival (D1, LM, Open)

Post by Utaku Ichiro » Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:33 am

On the horizon a shape resolves into that of a Unicorn steed. Its leisurely pace belying its true speed and strength. Though not yet fully grown into a stallion nor was its rider fully grown into a man - though that day was now within sight.

If the steed did not give away clan the boy's white and purple clothing certainly would. Though a scarf of gold fluttered in the slight wind of his journey. Those with careful eyes might note that he arrived not from the direction of Unicorn lands as one would expect but from further to the North.
Unicorn • Bushi • Experienced • Enlightened • Ascetic • Heroic Muse
Honor: What is Expected • Status: 2.0 • Glory: 5.2 • Infamy: 0.5 • Topaz Points: 229

Gear in Tsuma: Poorly sized purple and ivory utilitarian travelling clothes, charred gold scarf, daisho, jade
Outside Tusma: Unicorn riding horse, riding armor, scimitar, daisho, ono, han-kyu and arrows, jade
Description

Before the thunder can roar the lightning must strike

Utaku Nesrin

Re: A Leisurely Arrival (D1, LM, Open)

Post by Utaku Nesrin » Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:14 pm

Far less leisurely, an ambush clatters up from the direction of the river.

Standing tall in the stirrups of a glossy bay with a narrow white blaze, Nesrin waves and shouts. "Took you long enough, cousin! You'll be lucky to get settled in time to bathe before lunch." Her weight shifts, and Tabudai slows to match Ichiro's mount's pace with a toss of his head that was only mildly challenging.

Nesrin glances around to be quite sure there's not another Unicorn riding up nearby that she'd missed. "Where's Himeko? I was sure she'd be invited after the Naadam."

"Oh! And I hope the Fortunes of roads and winds treated you well on the way here. I'm glad to see you!" It's not a courtly greeting, but it's a greeting.
Unicorn Clan * Bushi * Battle Maiden * Honest and Fair * Hard to pronounce name
Honor: A Soul Above Question * Status: 1 * Glory: 3

Description

"Every day is a journey, and the journey itself home" -Bashō
Speaking Tegensai

Utaku Ichiro

Post by Utaku Ichiro » Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:32 pm

Ichiro can't help but grin and return the wave. Even the mention of his sister doesn't dampen his good mood.

"They treated me well. I am sure Tabudai saw your journey here an easy one? As for Himeko I'm not certain. I was never much privy to her comings and goings once we no longer lived under the same roof." He looks in he vague direction of Unicorn lands, "Shortly after the Naadam I was sent back to Dragon lands for more preparations for after our formal Gempukku."
Honor: What is Expected • Status: 2.0 • Glory: 5.2 • Infamy: 0.5 • Topaz Points: 229

Gear in Tsuma: Poorly sized purple and ivory utilitarian travelling clothes, charred gold scarf, daisho, jade
Outside Tusma: Unicorn riding horse, riding armor, scimitar, daisho, ono, han-kyu and arrows, jade
Description

Utaku Nesrin

Post by Utaku Nesrin » Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:28 pm

Nesrin sobers a bit, turning to look more closely and trusting Tabudai to have no problem following a road. "How was it there? Did you get to meet your...new family?"

She tries not to let slip too much of the distress she'd feel marrying out, knowing that it's different when you're not bound into something like the Battle Maidens have with one another. But she worries.

Description

Speaking Tegensai

Utaku Ichiro

Post by Utaku Ichiro » Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:36 am

He nods and looks off towards where the mountains would be, "I did. It was definitely a different experience. But what is a Unicorn if not prepared to explore and experience new things. I'll admit I did not realize monks could marry - but I guess it depends on their vows and, in the case of the Togashi at least, monks still are samurai."

Description

Utaku Nesrin

Post by Utaku Nesrin » Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:32 am

"Those monks at least, though I think a lot of the sects without a clan family and all, have peasants among them too. But the Togashi are like that, I guess." Leaning forward, she pats Tabudai's shoulder, warning him to stop trying to pick up the pace. They're not racing to the gates. "Your betrothed is a monk then? I hear stories about them sitting under waterfalls for *hours* and not eating for years on top of their mountains. What's she like?" Nesrin is all open curiosity.

Description

Speaking Tegensai

Utaku Ichiro

Post by Utaku Ichiro » Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:43 am

He laughs a little, "Well so far she seems down to earth, but she is only a year older than I am, perhaps eccentricity is a matter of time. She's apprenticed to one of their tattoo artists so I learned a little about that." He heads off the next obvious questions with a grin, "But, no, I do not have any."

At least not yet.

Description

Utaku Nesrin

Post by Utaku Nesrin » Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:31 am

She does manage to catch the words of the question as he answers it. But the next question is obvious. "But you probably will eventually, right? What sort of one would you want?"

"Oh, and there's a market here trying to carry some of the stuff you see in ours, they're calling it Little Khanbulak, it's kind of tiny though."

Description

Speaking Tegensai

Utaku Ichiro

Post by Utaku Ichiro » Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:00 am

"They seem to hold a belief that the bearer does not choose the tattoo but that the tattoo chooses the bearer... I'm really not sure how that's supposed to work, honestly. I suppose if I did have a choice I would want something to remind me of home and the past. A marker of what was as we move into what will be."

At the mention of Khanbulak he nods, "I heard. I had planned to visit once I settled in. It won't be the same as getting to go home but it will be nice to see anything familiar after the time away."

Description

Utaku Nesrin

Post by Utaku Nesrin » Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:28 am

"The tattoo chooses..." Nesrin frowns to think of how a tattoo could do that, but... "I guess even tattoos have spirits. But...are you going home again at all before the wedding?" She sounds a bit distressed at the idea that he hasn't seen the plains since the Naadam, and may not again.

Description

Speaking Tegensai

Utaku Ichiro

Post by Utaku Ichiro » Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:43 pm

"Duty and destiny rarely care for the plans of men but it is my hope and intention to do so." Another smile, "Though I suspect my destiny does not plan to keep me in any one place for long."

Description

Utaku Nesrin

Post by Utaku Nesrin » Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:30 pm

"I'll have to send you reminders of the plains while I'm there." She couldn't feel too badly about the chance to keep traveling. "What makes you think destiny won't let you sit still?"

Description

Speaking Tegensai

Utaku Ichiro

Post by Utaku Ichiro » Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:58 pm

Ichiro rubs his chin somewhat sheepishly. The answer would sound like either a lie or bragging but, in either case, it was the answer.

"Ah. Well my marriage into the Dragon did not come by chance it seems. It was not just the family getting rid of me, though I am sure they did not mind signing off on it, but the request came for me by name."

He pauses still a little uncertain himself given the strangeness of it all, "During my time in the mountains I met Togashi-sama." He laughs a little at the memory and the incredulity of being worth such an audience both, "His reputation for crypticness is not undeserved, I must admit. But, as I understand it, we are at the dawn of an age of heroes... and momentous events that will require them... I believe I have a role in helping those heroes, whoever they shall be, be ready for what they will face."

Description

Utaku Nesrin

Post by Utaku Nesrin » Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:40 pm

Sitting up straighter in surprise almost signals Tabudai to stop, but Nesrin remembers to relax her knees just in time. "Like *the* Togashi daimyo? That's an amazing kind of destiny to hear about. Age of heroes..." Her voice is full of wonder and just a bit of sadness. "That sounds like, maybe there's rough times ahead, neh? You don't get a lot of heroes when everything is going along just fine. Or at least not ones that they tell stories about. Might be heroic that someone braved a river saving a horse in the spring, but that happens half a dozen times every spring someplace in our lands. So you don't hear about them much."

Description

Speaking Tegensai

Utaku Ichiro

Post by Utaku Ichiro » Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:50 pm

Ichiro nods a little somberly, "The weight, and price, of destiny can be heavy indeed. Thus I intend to seek those who might be heroes. To help test and challenge them and to see to it they have the strength to carry that burden."

He looks down the road towards Tsuma, "This seems as fine a time and place as any to start."

Description

Utaku Nesrin

Post by Utaku Nesrin » Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:27 pm

"It does. You'll have a Topaz Champion at the very least, and I imagine they won't be the only candidate." She looks toward the city laid out before them from this vantage point. "Maybe you're one too, neh? We'll all do our best and prepare to face whatever's coming."

(/scene?)

Description

Speaking Tegensai

Utaku Ichiro

Post by Utaku Ichiro » Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:32 pm

He nods, "If it is my destiny it is my destiny. But I am just as happy playing a supporting role if that is my fate."

He nudges his steed to pick up speed. He knows he likely won't beat Nesrin in a race but he also knows she hates riding this slow for too long.

"So let's not keep fate waiting, shall we?" He grins and begins the gallop.

/scene

Description

Return to “Outskirts”