(Day 1, LM) Outburst at the Inn

Vutall

(Day 1, LM) Outburst at the Inn

Post by Vutall » Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:05 am

The House of the Laughing Carp is incredibly busy as it receives all of the guests for the Topaz Championship. The main room is full of various samurai all conversing with one another and enjoying the morning with tea or snacks. At the desk for people to check in, a frustrated looking young man with wind-swept hair and the smell of the sea emanating from him is waiting for the manager of the Inn to greet him.
This is a Limited Event. Only 6 players may participate. If you have participated in a limited event this session, you must wait 24 real life hours after this event is unlocked to participate.

This event is a Roleplaying event. Please post once and wait for all other characters to post including the GM before posting again
Trickling down while we're dying of hunger.

Doji Kotomi

Re: (Day 1, LM) Outburst at the Inn

Post by Doji Kotomi » Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:02 pm

Kotomi had been passing by the inn when she heard the commotion.

Great, the selfish kids are already making a mess. After being given the prestigious honour of being in this great town, with people like me.

She entered, looking to see what the trouble was.
Crane Clan * Duelist * Prodigy * Smart * Smug * Better than Kazuko * Not very Courteous * Profile
Equipment: Better quality clothes, Umbrella, mirror, Daisho/No-dachi/Light armour where allowed

Otomo Nobuko

Post by Otomo Nobuko » Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:19 pm

Nobuko was only at the Inn because those who were not students of the Academy would be staying there and she wanted to greet all of her friends as soon as they arrived. Where better to ensure she could, than the Inn they would be staying at? It was the Laughing Carp, wasn't it? ...yes. She was certain it was!

She stood to one side of the entrance, dressed to the nines and her attention mostly on the door as she kept her eyes peeled for anyone she knew (especially a certain Moto), she still noticed the young man whose temper clearly grew shorter with each passing breath.
Imperial * Artisan * Courtier * Different School * Enlightened * Sacrosanct * Beautiful Soul * Experienced
Honor: Exceptional | Status: 3.5 | Glory: 4.5 | Final Topaz Points: 249
Beautiful Clothing, Fan, Gloves, Wicker Umbrella, Personal Chop, Knot of Happiness Netsuke, Bejeweled Lizard-Shaped Ear Cuff on Left Ear

Kuni Yotsuo

Post by Kuni Yotsuo » Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:30 pm

Yotsuo was here after having taken care of his purification at the temple. It was his first day here, having arrived before the dawn, and he wanted to see to his room. He was told that the arrangements had been prepared for him at this Inn and he entered expecting things to go relatively smoothly. Right now, he simply waited at a table for others to be taken care of, staying out of the way and waiting for someone to become available before approaching the staff.
Crab ѻ Monk ѻ Spirit Walker ѻ Obsessive ѻ Chosen by the Oracle of Earth ѻ Emissary of the Spirit Realms ѻ Friend of the Brotherhood ѻ Prodigy ѻ Profile
Honor: Expected ѻ Glory: 3.0 ѻ Status: 3.0 ѻ Topaz Points: 0
Carries: Fine clothing, incense brazier, small statue, ink brush kit, jade pendant, jade finger

Moto Ichiro

Post by Moto Ichiro » Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:23 pm

Ichiro arrived at the inn travelling light as always he was dressed in simple functional clothing woven pants and a hide vest which only partially covered his incredibly muscular physique. He had one medium sized bag slung over his shoulder containing his clothes for the trip. His armor was also bundled and slung over his back he wore several weapons but that was simply because he had not yet been able to store them at his room as he explained to a pair of guards at the gate.

He saw Nobuko and gave her a small smile and was about to approach her when he spotted the man at the who appeared to be becoming agitated.
Unicorn Clan • Moto • Large • Confident * bushi
Honor: As Expected | Status: 2.0 | Glory: 3.2
Gear: Sturdy Clothing, Animal hide cloak

Zurui lizard pet TP: 254
speaking: Ujik, Mekhem, Senpet

Kakita Kazuko

Post by Kakita Kazuko » Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:54 pm

Kazuko is simply trying to enjoy her tea and snacks as she observes the new arrivals in peace, occasionally drifting her eyes in search for familiar faces, though inspecting her opponents won't hurt either. Amid the commotion and frequent shifting of bodies, it's not easy to see each and every entry though the smell of the sea eventually drifts toward Kazuko. Did Kokyou try to bring the sea with him or something? Wait no, that's just some impatient samurai. Probably his first time being this far inland if she had to guess.
Crane Clan | Bushi | Profile | Way Better than Kotomi
Honor: Exceptional | Status: 1.0 | Glory: 2.4 | TP: 252 (ty oleanderpoison!)
Equipment: Daisho/Light Armor where allowed, Fancy Clothes, Expensive Crane Hairpin (5 koku) and Earrings (2 koku), Fan

Togashi Dao

Post by Togashi Dao » Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:22 pm

Dao was pleased to see some familiar faces as he brought his meagre possessions to the inn to find out where he would be staying.

"Moto-san, you have gotten huge! What are they feeding you back home?"

"And Otomo-sama, I hope you managed to find that umbrella you were looking for on that glorious boat trip?"

"Kuni-sama, Kakita-san. A pleasure to see you both here as well!"
Dragon Clan • Monk • Battlemaster •
Honor: Expected • Status: 2.0 • Glory: 1.7 • Infamy: 1,0
Gear: Student Clothing, Go set.

Vutall

Post by Vutall » Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:35 pm

The young man in sea green seems just about to boil over in impatience when finally the host arrives and begins speaking to him. After a short exchange, he slams his fist down on the counter and loudly exclaims

"This is an insult! I have every right to a room just as everyone else here! I am a competitor representing the Mantis Clan. How can you not give me someplace to sleep?"

The poor woman servant bows, keeping the bow while she appologizes

Kuni Yotsuo

Post by Kuni Yotsuo » Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:45 pm

An angry outburst was not really appropriate in this setting, and there was nothing the woman could really do. He might not be a full samurai yet, but his position in the celestial hierarchy gave him the means to be a jerk if he wanted to. Yotsuo wasn't having it, but he wasn't going to be angry about it either.

He rose from his seat and approached. "I'm certain that whatever the issue is, it can be resolved without anger. Is there an issue with availability?"

He didn't have his own room yet, so this very well might affect him and others as far as he knew.
Crab ѻ Monk ѻ Spirit Walker ѻ Obsessive ѻ Chosen by the Oracle of Earth ѻ Emissary of the Spirit Realms ѻ Friend of the Brotherhood ѻ Prodigy ѻ Profile
Carries: Fine clothing, incense brazier, small statue, ink brush kit, jade pendant, jade finger

Doji Kotomi

Post by Doji Kotomi » Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:49 pm

Frowning slightly, Kotomi moved closer, giving the boy a small bow.

"Maybe you arrived too late, Mantis-san" Kotomi said, standing a little taller "or your rudeness cost you a place."
Crane Clan * Duelist * Prodigy * Smart * Smug * Better than Kazuko * Not very Courteous * Profile
Equipment: Better quality clothes, Umbrella, mirror, Daisho/No-dachi/Light armour where allowed

Togashi Dao

Post by Togashi Dao » Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:52 pm

Kuni Yotsuo wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:45 pm
He rose from his seat and approached. "I'm certain that whatever the issue is, it can be resolved without anger. Is there an issue with availability?"
"Surely not," Dao opined as he approached. "The Crane would never make such a logistical oversight. Perhaps it's just a minor clerical error.."

He turned to the berated heimin. "Would you check your records again on behalf of...." He raised an eyebrow questioningly to the would be Mantis Samurai.

Otomo Nobuko

Post by Otomo Nobuko » Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:13 pm

Nobuko raised her eyebrows at the outburst and turned to watch the spectacle from her spot.... next to Moto Ichiro, whom she had drifted idly toward like a leaf caught by the wind when he stepped inside. She had bowed her head in greeting to the others she recognized, but had been about to greet her presumed-betrothed (really, the championship was a formality! there was no way he would fail it). Instead, she paused and lifted a gloved hand to place lightly on Ichiro's forearm to indicate she was not forgetting him. A brief touch while she observed the others - she might interject in a few moments, but for now, kept her peace.
Imperial * Artisan * Courtier * Different School * Enlightened * Sacrosanct * Beautiful Soul * Experienced
Beautiful Clothing, Fan, Gloves, Wicker Umbrella, Personal Chop, Knot of Happiness Netsuke, Bejeweled Lizard-Shaped Ear Cuff on Left Ear

Kakita Kazuko

Post by Kakita Kazuko » Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:29 pm

If the indignant and desperate Mantis didn't draw looks already, he certainly did now. Kazuko is completely lacking any sympathy for him though, especially when he's a fellow competitor, and merely shakes her head and sighs, inaudible over his tantrum. How impudent. With a stench like that he should be lucky to even be allowed inside. Does he take his baths with saltwater or did his rowboat happen to capsize on the way here? She's momentarily grateful that she is able to be housed in the academy and doesn't have to deal with guests like this, even if it means extra quality time with Kotomi. The hapless Mantis really shouldn't be expecting any available rooms when he arrives this late. There's arriving fashionably late to a party, and then there's arriving after everyone's too busy getting drunk to answer the door and he didn't seem to get the memo that this isn't just any party.

She does consider helping the poor woman out and is just about to get up to do so, though upon seeing someone - no, wait, make that several someones - get up and confront the man, settles back into her seat and continues to sip her tea. She's completely unstressed by the situation, especially over something so utterly blasé to her. Just another samurai berating another servant. Either he finds a place to sleep or he gets out and stops bothering everyone else. She's not eager to get closer to Kotomi either, her white and black hair unmistakable even among the bustle of samurai.
Crane Clan | Bushi | Profile | Way Better than Kotomi
Honor: Exceptional | Status: 1.0 | Glory: 2.4 | TP: 252 (ty oleanderpoison!)
Equipment: Daisho/Light Armor where allowed, Fancy Clothes, Expensive Crane Hairpin (5 koku) and Earrings (2 koku), Fan

Vutall

Post by Vutall » Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:53 am

The young man looks to those who approach and gives a bow.

“Hello, samas, I am Hitoshi if the Mantis. forgive the intrusion but this woman offers a grave insult! Here I have a signed invitation to this championship, which states I am to be given a room here, yet she says she cannot grant me one!”

He points accusingly at the peasant, who bows even lower.

“I am sorry, samurai-samas but we are entirely full! To give him a room would displace another contestant. I assure you, all guests rooms were reduced and held well ahead of time as the Crane lords gave us a list some time ago.”
She points to a book on the counter while staying bowed to let someone check it over

Kuni Yotsuo

Post by Kuni Yotsuo » Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:45 am

"I understand your concern, Hitoshi. But I don't think that she intends any insult. She has merely identified a problem but has no means to resolve it herself. This just means it will have to be resolved at a higher level. I am sure, given the circumstances, our hosts for the tournament have some sort of contingency. I can't imagine this is the first time in the history of the tournament that there were simply too many gifted participants like yourself to be housed in just one Inn," he replies in a level tone.

"We just need to learn who among the Crane manages the housing preparations and arrangements, as they will undoubtedly know what to do." With that he looks to the woman, clearly hoping to hear who was in charge of giving her the list.

Moto Ichiro

Post by Moto Ichiro » Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:15 pm

Ichiro nodded to Nobuko as well when he heard the Mantis boys complaints he snorted "It is not an insult for the Inn to not have enough rooms, you seem as if you are seeking to find trouble Mantis-san."
Unicorn Clan • Moto • Large • Confident * bushi
Honor: As Expected | Status: 2.0 | Glory: 3.2
Gear: Sturdy Clothing, Animal hide cloak

Zurui lizard pet TP: 254
speaking: Ujik, Mekhem, Senpet

Togashi Dao

Post by Togashi Dao » Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:19 pm

"Trouble avoided is a burden less carried." Dao quoted as he moved to check out the offered ledger.

"If worse comes to worse, perhaps Hitoshi-san can take my room. The Dragon delegation is quite small this year and I think I'd feel more at home with the monks of Amaterasu than in such a fine an establishment as this."

Otomo Nobuko

Post by Otomo Nobuko » Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:32 pm

Nobuko glanced at the book the old woman indicated while the others spoke, then moved away from Ichiro to start paging through it. She 'hmm'd to herself while she did so, and after a moment - before she was even done with the book - turned to the young, irate man, "Mantis-san. Present to me your invitation so that I might match it to the room assignments, if you would."

It was polite and phrased as a question, but it really wasn't one.

Vutall

Post by Vutall » Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:45 pm

“How is it not an insult that every other competitor was given a guarantee of a room, as the invitation states, yet I do not have one? This is only because I am a a Mantis. All the great clans look down on us and treat us with disrespect and disdain.”

Hearing the Motos comment, and fueled by the insult from Kotomi, Hitoshi slaps the invitation down on the desk and steps forward toward the two and sets his posture to one of aggression.

“What did you say to me?”

Meanwhile..

The peasant woman cowers a bit and bows even Lowe, her back practically parallel to the floor.

The invitation seems genuine enough, and when examining the ledger, it is clear that every contestant was to be given a room. Oddly enough however, where Hitoshi’s name should have been with the other two Mantis, instead only a smudge of some paper colored paint remains...

At the question of who gave her the list, the woman says:

“A servant from the Kakita Estates, on behalf of lord Kakita-sama.”

Hearing Dao’s offer, the peasant let’s out a terrible sound of protest and anxiety.

“NO, Togashi-sama, that cannot do. I can sleep in the stables and give him mine!”

Togashi Dao

Post by Togashi Dao » Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:58 pm

Vutall wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:45 pm
Hearing Dao’s offer, the peasant let’s out a terrible sound of protest and anxiety.

“NO, Togashi-sama, that cannot do. I can sleep in the stables and give him mine!”
Dao smiles and shakes his head gently. "We don't want to add further insult by offering Hitoshi-san a peasant's room do we?" He asks the hostess in a kind, but serious, voice.

"I'm sure that we can come to a solution that satisfies everyone's needs." He offers a glance at Nobuko, hoping her investigation of the book discovers something.

Return to “The House of the Laughing Carp”