Yes
37%
No
63%

Total votes: 30

Kaito Haruki

Re: Mechanic: Inheritance: Katana

Post by Kaito Haruki » Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:10 am

As long as you set logical limits and communicate well, it should be manageable though right?
Proper full name is Isawa Kunio of House Kaito: Bushi,Courtier Mons: Chest: Phoenix R Shoulder: Isawa L Shoulder: Kaito Honor: 6.1 Glory: 4.9 Status: 2 Wound Status: Healthy Phoenix Clan TP: 224
Water Bottle, Coin Purse, Fan, Jade Finger

Yasuki Ginkarasu

Post by Yasuki Ginkarasu » Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:10 am

Iuchi Prashant wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:00 am
Well, yeah, if they can use Extra damage, then it may get tough. With Str 3 we'd be looking at 6k2 + 1k1+Void (if used directly for damage instead of strike), plus as many extra damage dice as they can. If capped by Void 5, that'd be +5k0, so 12k3 +5 or 10k4 +5, unless they use Honor for that instead. Add +1k1 from a VP and +1k0 from kenjutsu 3 and we get 14k4+5, or 10k6+5

The chance to get an Earth 4 char with no reduction to a +10 penalty or worse would then be 98 percent; +15 would be 85 percent, +20 would be 57 percent if I did my math right

With the Yasuki Yojimbo advantage granting 12 reduction (considering Earth 4), that chance drops to 72%, 43% and 19 percent.

May not be the greatest thing ever, but I don't think it's that useless Ginka :)

All that said - like V, I am not a great fun of powergaming even if I understand that people will try and to that at times. That's one of the reasons I don't particularly like an advantage becoming so important to be able to tell the story that "you're a good duelist".

But then again, that's just my opinion : )
Exceptional successes add even more free raises if they also work for the focus rules of dueling.
Crab Clan • Bushi • Yojimbo • Disfigured • Profile • Fire Brigade
Honor: What is Expected • Status: 1.0 • Glory: 3.7 (2.7 w/Crabs) • Infamy: 1.0 • Topaz Points: 209
Gear: Sturdy Clothing, sandals, coin purse, water bottle, small knife, map of Tsuma
“Strive for progress, not perfection.”

Iuchi Prashant

Post by Iuchi Prashant » Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:21 am

Yeah I'd forgotten Exceptional successes, and it seems I also forgot more Free Raises from the Focus roll.

That actually makes me think adding up Exceptional success and Free Raises from the strike roll may be a bit too much, hadn't thought of that. But that's railroading the discussion a bit I think. A full discussion of duelling rules might be something nice to do at some point, but I don't feel now is the time for that : )
Adult name: Iuchi Prashstam
Unicorn Clan * Shugenja/Artisan * "Pu-ra-what?" * Ascetic * Friendly smile * Monk-y

Honor: Exceptional * Status:1 * Glory:2.9 * Infamy: 0.5 * Topaz Pt: 211 (End D5)
Items: Purple/gray robes, sandals, trinket satchel, copy of the Tao, stone with 'cup' kanji.
Description Pt2
Theme
Speaking in Tegensai
Speaking in Ujik

Vutall

Post by Vutall » Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:34 am

Well, if we look at what the Crane Clan Thunders stats are....

Iai 7
Void 5
Weapon that adds +3k3 to duels
Kakita 4 (+1k1+4, strike first if win by 3, free raise on strike for every 3 beat opponent)
Kenzenshin 2 (Focus explodes on 9)
honor 8

So that's the BEST, supposedly.

then compare that to the Daidoji Daimyo

Iai 4
Void 2
Normal weapon
Daidoji school
Honor 6

So, I'd assume that to be a Daimyo, you;d need to be considered "good" at dueling, which to me means a roll of 6k4 with a splurge of 10k5. spend a void to be 10k6.

If we look at the TN difficulty table, 25 is considered Difficult, which someone good should probably succeed at like, 75% of the time, which requires a roll of 10k3, 9k3, 8k4, 7k4, or 6k4
Trickling down while we're dying of hunger.

Doji Kotomi

Post by Doji Kotomi » Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:24 pm

So instead of a weapon that adds 1k1, they use a weapon that adds 3k3....

Regarding exceptional successes, with void 5 if you win the focus roll by 50 (so 10 FR, not unbelieveable) then you win the strike by 25, you have fifteen raises to use? +15k0 to damage anyone?

7k2 (kenjutsu 3 str 3)
8k3 (vp on damage)
9k4+5 (center on damage)
24k4+5 (15 raises on damage)
10k10+9 for damage :D
Crane Clan * Duelist * Prodigy * Smart * Smug * Better than Kazuko * Not very Courteous * Profile
Equipment: Better quality clothes, Umbrella, mirror, Daisho/No-dachi/Light armour where allowed

Kaito Haruki

Post by Kaito Haruki » Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:36 pm

The first example is literally THE Kakita, I wouldn't even bother stating him out myself.
Proper full name is Isawa Kunio of House Kaito: Bushi,Courtier Mons: Chest: Phoenix R Shoulder: Isawa L Shoulder: Kaito Honor: 6.1 Glory: 4.9 Status: 2 Wound Status: Healthy Phoenix Clan TP: 224

Doji Kotomi

Post by Doji Kotomi » Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:03 pm

Kaito Haruki wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:36 pm
The first example is literally THE Kakita, I wouldn't even bother stating him out myself.
The only thing I'd be missing to compare myself to the Kakita is the 3k3 sword and school techs :D
Crane Clan * Duelist * Prodigy * Smart * Smug * Better than Kazuko * Not very Courteous * Profile
Equipment: Better quality clothes, Umbrella, mirror, Daisho/No-dachi/Light armour where allowed

Vutall

Post by Vutall » Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:18 pm

Exceptional success counts off your rolled dice only, not bonuses and you have to beat the tn by 10 for 1.

Doji Kotomi

Post by Doji Kotomi » Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:40 am

Vutall wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:18 pm
Exceptional success counts off your rolled dice only, not bonuses and you have to beat the tn by 10 for 1.
It's still totally possible to do though

Vutall

Post by Vutall » Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:40 am

As an average character has a TN of 25 to be hit, let's explore this.

Let's use the kakita and duels dice pools I listed earlier for the focus roll and assume the Kakita won assessment. (Without Inheritance)

10k10+32=Average of 93

vs

Akodo dice pool having lost assessment

10k10+17=Average of 78

That means the Kakita gets 3 free raises (Since rank 1)

Assuming they have Reflexes of 4, they get an attack of 10k6+4, which is an average of 54 (Rolled average of 50)

So you have to choose either 3 free raises for damage, or to reduce the TN by 15.

So they either get 3 free raises for damage and 2 from exceptional success (Since 50 compared to 25 is only 2 instances of 10 over TN

Or 0 free raises for damage and 4 from exceptional success. (Since 50 compared to 25 is 4 instances of 10 over TN)

I don't think there is an issue here? Especially considering that most folks would number crunch and call raises off what they feel comfortable with. Knowing my attack in a duel averages a 54 with the opponents TN being 25, I'd probably personally call 3 raises so I'd be at +6k0 damage. That means the TN is 40. If I rolled the average, (50) that would give me a total of +7k0 more from exceptional success, which is still less than what I would have got if I called 5 raises to be at TN50 getting +8k0 without the exceptional success rule.

Vutall

Post by Vutall » Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:06 am

Kaito Haruki wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:30 am
Maybe it wouldn't feel so bad if the iaijutsu duel is required to become topaz champion, what if it just gave (a large, but not game winning on its own) amount of TP?
It also requires courtiers win the court duel and shugenja win the taryu-jiai duel. Whoever then has the highest points between the three tournament winners is the Champion.

Kaito Haruki

Post by Kaito Haruki » Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:10 am

You're probably right, I think I'm just overthinking things.

Vutall

Post by Vutall » Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:15 am

The margin on this vote is too close (Typically requires 75%) for a mechanic poll to change things one way or the other. Keeping this up still for discussion and we can revisit the vote at another point.

All inheritance items arnt allowed during tests for Part 2, so this still won’t effect our current game either way.

It is definitely my stance as the GM that it should add to assessment and focus, but we are all a team here and if we can get a clear majority consensus one way or another, I’ll implement that.

Kaito Haruki

Post by Kaito Haruki » Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:37 am

Assuming that will also include during the iaijutsu part in day 7?

Vutall

Post by Vutall » Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:03 am

Inheritance items are not allowed during the tests or tournament

Return to “Polls”