Tale in Paper

Kaiu Aiichiro

Tale in Paper

Post by Kaiu Aiichiro » Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:57 pm

He looked to the green small frog on his hand. It was neatly done. Still wondering who did it, and noticing all the bird origami scattered around the dojo too, he searches for Nesrin — wanting to confirm himself it could be her before asking Nobuko.
◘ Crab Clan ♦ Bushi/Artisan ♦ ProfileJournal ♦ UTC -4 ♦ Rolls List Status | 2.0 ♦ Glory | 3.5 ♦ Topaz Points | 208
Health › Healthy (15) ♦ Honor › What is expected.
Carry › Sturdy clothing, sandals, haori, finger of jade, war fans, water bottle, fan, coin bag, 1 koku and 10 zeni.
Mons › Back: Crab Clan | Left shoulder: Kaiu | Right chest: Personal mon

Utaku Nesrin

Re: Tale in Paper

Post by Utaku Nesrin » Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:24 pm

Still yawning as she emerges from the barracks to start the morning chores, Nesrin stops, mid-yawn when she sees Aiichiro. With one hand over her mouth, she waves with the other and trots over. Seeing the bit of green on his hand, she asks, once near enough, "more frogs in the baths? I never did get a cage made, I should work on one before we leave."

"Oh...and morning Kaiu-san! Sorry, still half awake and my manners are still running around in a dream, I guess."
Unicorn Clan * Bushi * Battle Maiden * Honest and Fair * Hard to pronounce name
Honor: A Soul Above Question * Status: 1 * Glory: 3

Description

"Every day is a journey, and the journey itself home" -Bashō
Speaking Tegensai

Kaiu Aiichiro

Post by Kaiu Aiichiro » Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:57 pm

He nods. Aiichirō heard how the Unicorn were, and although Prashant was very polite that may be outside the norm, specially considering the Moto. "Good morning, Nesrin-san." He closes the distance between them with a few footsteps.
"I believe this frog was a gift for me. It was left on a place I visit everyday, did not match the area by any means and the format is well... Quite obvious." He hands out the origami. "I am seeking who did it, and thought it could be Otomo-domo. But first, was it your craft?"
◘ Crab Clan ♦ Bushi/Artisan ♦ ProfileJournal ♦ UTC -4 ♦ Rolls List Status | 2.0 ♦ Glory | 3.5 ♦ Topaz Points | 208
Carry › Sturdy clothing, sandals, haori, finger of jade, war fans, water bottle, fan, coin bag, 1 koku and 10 zeni.

Utaku Nesrin

Post by Utaku Nesrin » Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:32 am

She looks at the cunning little figure with a growing smile, beginning to shake her head. "Oh no, I've no skill at origami at all. If I watched someone else while they did it along with me, maybe I'd get a passable Crane, but look at this! Look at the thin little legs! How do fingers even do that?"

"Almost sure it's Otomo-sama's work. Servant woke me a few minutes ago with a letter from her actually, and the calligraphy is so tidy and graceful, I'd easily believe the same hand made your little frog." It was about then that she noticed the swinging and dangling cranes...one there on the corner of the forge roof, and in the doorway to the kitchens. She couldn't quite tell from this far across the yard, but she didn't think she saw one on the stables. Non-Unicorn weren't fond of the smell, so that made some sense.

Pointing to the one in the kitchen doorway, she asks, "do you think she did that too?"

Description

Speaking Tegensai

Kaiu Aiichiro

Post by Kaiu Aiichiro » Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:39 am

"I do." He thought. He didn't interact a lot with Nobuko, the only time he did being the frog incident. She seemed nice back then and not what he expected from a courtier imperial, but the battle changed his viewpoints towards a lot of people. He was back then struggling to make orders and she just ran into the heat of battle, unregarding everything safety, not even being a bushi. What if she died? Would the fault be his?
He took a deep breath, remembering again what Ichiro said. She had learnt her lesson. Still, logic often did a poor work of calming emotions. But if the frog was hers... didn't it change everything? She cared about his to this amount, felt gratitude by this amount. He shouldn't feel harsh for someone who maybe saw him as a friend.
"Let's try to find her? Or do you think she could give no answer? Like, being an etiquette thing to give secret gifts?"

Utaku Nesrin

Post by Utaku Nesrin » Sun Jul 19, 2020 3:05 am

"I don't know of any etiquette that says it's rude to find out who sent a gift or wrote a letter. I think it's maybe not right to tell everyone if you figure it out. But you could totally thank her for the frog, or send something in return since you couldn't refuse it like a regular gift, right?"

She starts walking to one of the dangling cranes. "We could look at these and...maybe tell if they were made by someone skilled at least? I mean, I can tell you my cranes would not look like they were made by the same person as that frog."

(@Vutall, origami/Perception? Investigation/Perception? to see if frog and crane seem made by the same person, or at least similar levels of skill involved?)

Description

Speaking Tegensai

Vutall

Post by Vutall » Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:06 am

((Either would be fine))
Trickling down while we're dying of hunger.

Utaku Nesrin

Post by Utaku Nesrin » Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:44 am

Quick post for roll 15 for basic TN

Description

Speaking Tegensai

Vutall

Post by Vutall » Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:52 am

There is quite a different style in the folding, the cranes being a bit more clean and precise with crisp edges, very traditional in style. The other a bit more organic, with a hint of life-like qualities such as rounded edges.
Trickling down while we're dying of hunger.

Utaku Nesrin

Post by Utaku Nesrin » Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:05 am

After turning the crane this way and that in her hands, the Battle Maiden says, "I don't think Otomo-sama did these, they're more formal and sharp. Not like your little frog that looks almost ready to jump."

"But, if it's an art she enjoys, maybe she's talked to other students and knows who else does?"

Description

Speaking Tegensai

Kaiu Aiichiro

Post by Kaiu Aiichiro » Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:12 am

"She could do something more formal too. The frog looks more personal, though. We should search for her." He nods slightly and starts looking around. "Where do you think she could be? Inside her division in the barracks? Does she even clean like the other students, being an imperial and everything?"

Otomo Nobuko

Post by Otomo Nobuko » Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:36 am

Once they started looking for her, they'd find her sitting in a room of the dojo that was impeccably clean - the servants she was directing having done some of the best work of their lives. She otherwise did her part in 'cleaning' by swiping a rag here and there against some of the wood to 'free it of dust'.

When she noticed the two, she smiled and offered a bow of greeting, "Kaiu-san, Utaku-san, good morning to you both."
Imperial * Artisan * Courtier * Different School * Enlightened * Sacrosanct * Beautiful Soul * Experienced
Honor: Exceptional | Status: 3.5 | Glory: 4.5 | Final Topaz Points: 249
Beautiful Clothing, Fan, Gloves, Wicker Umbrella, Personal Chop, Knot of Happiness Netsuke, Bejeweled Lizard-Shaped Ear Cuff on Left Ear

Utaku Nesrin

Post by Utaku Nesrin » Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:08 am

Nesrin offers a deeper bow to the Imperial girl. "Good morning, Otomo-sama, and thank you for your kind letter this morning." She pauses before getting too off track.

She'd let Aiichiro ask about the frog, after all, it was his gift. But the Crane? She holds out the little paper bird balanced in the palm of her hand. "We're wondering if you made these? They're really charming hanging around the compound."

Description

Speaking Tegensai

Otomo Nobuko

Post by Otomo Nobuko » Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:15 am

"I did not," she shook her head, though she remained smiling. "But they are quite charming. I was wondering who made them myself. If they were attempting to make enough to grant a wish. Or perhaps simply wishing everyone good luck."
Imperial * Artisan * Courtier * Different School * Enlightened * Sacrosanct * Beautiful Soul * Experienced
Beautiful Clothing, Fan, Gloves, Wicker Umbrella, Personal Chop, Knot of Happiness Netsuke, Bejeweled Lizard-Shaped Ear Cuff on Left Ear

Kaiu Aiichiro

Post by Kaiu Aiichiro » Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:08 am

He bowed deeply. "Otomo-domo, did you made this one?" He showed atop both hands the small frog. "Do they have meanings behind them? I thought people did those because they are beautiful."

Otomo Nobuko

Post by Otomo Nobuko » Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:19 am

She looked at the frog and blinked a couple times, clearly surprised at it's appearance, "I... yes. But why do you have it? I left it as an offering at the shrine. Was Hotei displeased with it and sent you to return it?"

Kaiu Aiichiro

Post by Kaiu Aiichiro » Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:39 am

"Oh. It must then be put back. I'm deeply sorry." He knelt, keeping it high as an offering. "I thought that it was left there for me, because of the frog that day, and because I visit the shrine everyday."

Otomo Nobuko

Post by Otomo Nobuko » Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:50 am

...oh. Had she so neglected in seeing to a proper thanks that he would take an offering to the Fortunes as gift to himself? That was rather unacceptable, wasn't it.

"I..." She was at a loss for words... Then forced a kind, understanding expression. "...can understand the conclusion. Of course. My gift is nontraditional and so it stood out. I am certain Hotei was glad it brought someone else such joy, but as it does belong to him, let us return it together."

A quick intake of breath later she was standing and dismissing the servants lest they witness anything else that might result in further gossip. Hopefully her words just now were enough to stave off any embarrassing speculation should it get passed around.

After the servants were gone, she stepped forward, gloved hands clasped in front of her.

"In truth, I did have thoughts of bringing you a gift. However, when I spoke to Kuni-san of what the Crab consider lucky, none of the suggestions were ones I could acquire or create here."

Utaku Nesrin

Post by Utaku Nesrin » Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:13 am

Nesrin pretended, badly, to yawn again so she could hide the giggle that threatened to escape as she learned about the mixup.

When she had it under control, she said, "at least Hotei is not usually a wrathful Fortune. Bishamon might be a different story. Besides, maybe it brought you contentment for these few day? And now it's returning, so that all seems to work out."

Description

Speaking Tegensai

Kaiu Aiichiro

Post by Kaiu Aiichiro » Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:30 am

He gets back on both feet, handling the frog with care.
"It is too late now, but not getting jade is unlucky. Not unlucky like Ginkarasu-san unlucky, but they say it brings unluckyness if you leave the Crab without jade on yourself. Given the tainted Zokujin attack, I would say that it makes a lot of sense."
Aiichirō looks to the shoji he entered by. "Let's go to the shrine, then?"

Return to “Tiger”