Kakita Toshimoko Comes - Prepare Yourselves (Open)

Asako Saburo

Kakita Toshimoko Comes - Prepare Yourselves (Open)

Post by Asako Saburo » Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:23 am

His mind was clear. His purpose was sure. He had heard the rumors. All of them. And apparently people continued to natter about his scores. He was getting this close to badgering a peasant about the constant discussion of his scores and to shout that they should be paying attention to his Imperial better, that he would drop in standings by tomorrow. Whatever. he'd heard a far more important rumor.

The Grey Crane was coming.

Bokken in hand, replenished, his breathing even, he went through the motion of the kata over and over again, the speed of the wood increasing with each motion. He might never truly master regular kata, but he was not about to make a fool of the memory of Isawa Tsuke before the eyes of the Grey Crane himself.

========

(OOC: +2 Void Points recovered. Meditation successful for D9)
Phoenix Clan * Shugenja * Void * Sickly * Hypochondriac
Topaz Points: 212
Carries: Sturdy Clothes, Scroll Satchel, Inquisitor's Strike (Wakizashi, counts as Jade), Jade netsuke

Kakita Kenji

Re: Kakita Toshimoko Comes - Prepare Yourselves (Open)

Post by Kakita Kenji » Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:03 pm

Kenji went to the Training Ground after the Magistrate Training. He would give himself Time to get a Clear Mind..

After his meditation he surprisingly, or rather unsurprisingly, saw Saburo on the square. Kenji had heard about it, too. If someone could not disappoint the Grey Crane, then Kenji, after all his whole future could depend on that moment.

He approached his friend? Rival? The border was somewhere in between. Kenji caught Saburo's expression.

"Greetings, Saburo-san, let me tell you you look like you're about to drown the dojo in flames. Are you okay?" he asked after bowing to him

---
+2 VP from Meditation
Last edited by Kakita Kenji on Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crane Clan | Bushi & Artisan | Your friendly&idealistic neighbourhood Samurai | UTC +2 | Profile
Honour: Exceptional | Status: 2.0 | Glory: 5.0 | Infamy: 1.0 | Topaz Points: 95
Gear: Sturdy Clothing, Sandals, Travelling Pack

"You own every word you speak" - Shinsei

Matsu Qiang

Post by Matsu Qiang » Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:49 pm

The news that the Kakita swordsmaster was coming had brought the young Lion student to the practice field to work on his skills with a bokken as well. After a sitting quietly for a few moments to gather focus, Matsu Qiang stood up and greeted the others.

"Good morning," Qiang said, bowing politely.

-
Day 9 Dragon, meditate for void recovery Void/Meditation TN20: 7d10o10k4 53
Lion Clan • Competitor • Crab Hands • Strong • Betrothed
Status 1.0 • Glory 5.3 • Exceptional Honor

Toritaka Sasaiko

Post by Toritaka Sasaiko » Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:11 pm

Sasaiko cannot miss the chance, either.

After meditating (badly), she bows to greet the others and begins working through exercises.
Toritaka Noriko
Falcon * Phantom Hunter (Shug)
S 2.0 * G 2.1 * H As Expected

On-site: robes, sandals, and scroll satchel and scrolls, Seppun blade, Miya-made map of Tsuma; might have money
Off: the above + loaded traveling pack

Asako Saburo

Post by Asako Saburo » Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:44 am

Catching sight of the three of them between the whip of his wooden blade, he sheathed it again and returned their bows. The focus in his eyes faded fractionally, and when he spoke it was clearer than it had been. Every day, he seemed to be doing better physically. "Ah, good morning, minna-san. I hope the three of you have had rice already," he said in a polite tone, eyes lingering for a moment on Kenji and then on the Toritaka. He cocked his head, looking over at Kenji and then realizing what he might have meant.

"Ah, sensei always did say I looked far too intense when I concentrate. I'm told it's intimidating, though I've never put practice into such things."
Carries: Sturdy Clothes, Scroll Satchel, Inquisitor's Strike (Wakizashi, counts as Jade), Jade netsuke

Kakita Kenji

Post by Kakita Kenji » Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:50 am

"Ah, i'm glad to hear that. I wouldn't want to extingush fires today" he said, allwoing hmself a quick smile. "As i see it you train to get an advantage on our upcoming duel in the Topaz Championship, care if i join?"
Crane Clan | Bushi & Artisan | Your friendly&idealistic neighbourhood Samurai | UTC +2 | Profile

Asako Saburo

Post by Asako Saburo » Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:57 am

He nodded over to Kenji and motioned to a position near to his. "I find it is strictly necessary to be prepared for all possibilities, as you and I discussed the last time we trained. If you wish, we can take up a stance, though I would prefer to forgo the strike portion in our tests today." He was simply not suited to the edge quite yet in his mind. All in theory, not in practice for now.

Matsu Qiang

Post by Matsu Qiang » Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:42 am

Qiang shifted to a resting stance, watching Saburo and Kenji as they faced off. "Phoenix and Crane; this should be interesting," he commented.
Lion Clan • Competitor • Crab Hands • Strong • Betrothed
Status 1.0 • Glory 5.3 • Exceptional Honor

Toritaka Sasaiko

Post by Toritaka Sasaiko » Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:49 am

Sasaiko nods at the Matsu's comment.

Beat his ass, Saburo, she thinks as she keeps moving. Stillness brings stiffness, and stiffness will not help. At all.

At least not with this kind of thing.
Toritaka Noriko

On-site: robes, sandals, and scroll satchel and scrolls, Seppun blade, Miya-made map of Tsuma; might have money

Kakita Kenji

Post by Kakita Kenji » Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:50 am

Kenji thought about it. "I'm not sure. The strike is one of the most important parts of Iaijutsu, to do without it makes the whole exercise pointless. But if you wish to practice kata, I'm in for it" Kenji replied.

Asako Saburo

Post by Asako Saburo » Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:06 am

A moment's thought and then a nod. "You are actually correct, Kakita-san. We should perform to the strike. Let us, however, endeavor to avoid harm. The less that the Asako has to deal with the better I should think. He motioned to the hem of his robe and hung a small ornament off of the chord tied to his obi and offered one to him. Nothing more than simple paper tags. "I am told it takes a bit of skill to cut something so small. Yes?"

Wait, did he just get a cheering squad? He was going to try not to pay attention that while he practiced.

(OOC: Hah, he's going to kick Saburo's ass. He doesn't have the skill until tomorrow.)

Kakita Kenji

Post by Kakita Kenji » Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:08 am

"Yes, indeed" Kenji said "You will need to wield the blade pretty good to cut it" Kenji took the paper tag and did the same as Saburo. "

(ooc: Kenji just has iai 1, so we'll see :D)

Asako Sanzo

Post by Asako Sanzo » Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:13 am

Sanzo had come to the dojo for some practice, and to work out some stress. Seeing Saburo and the Kakita prepping something iaijutsu-related certainly piques Sanzo's interest, but he remains silent for now, simply electing to raise a curious eyebrow and watch.

I wonder how well Saburo will do... and why am I not surprised that he is dueling a Crane?
Phoenix Clan ✿ Bushi/Courtier ✿ Painter ✿ Friendly & Chill ✿ Honest ✿
Equipment: Student clothes, Sandals, Straw Hat, Straw cloak, Fan, Lucky cricket

Asako Saburo

Post by Asako Saburo » Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:17 am

Saburo, nodding, took up position and assumed the center stance, aware that the other student was actually trained by the Kakita and therefore better prepared. But what better way to verify the lessons he'd been performing the last few weeks than to actually conduct a duel. Of course, as he assumed the position, his awareness of the situation was Spotty at Best. He blocked out the entrance of another as he waited for Kenji to prepare himself.

===========

(Awareness- 12. I'm reasonably certain without book handy that nets nothing.)

Kakita Kenji

Post by Kakita Kenji » Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:27 am

Kenji had also put himself in position. He could read Saburo like a book. The stiff movement, the uncertain look. Saburo didn't know what he was doing here, and Kenji could see that. He only asked himself if he should give Saburo the chance to break off, after all this was not dishonorable. He granted him a little moment to think about it.

---
Kenji has Void 3

D9 Serpent Iaijutsu(Assessment)/Awa TN 10: 3d10o10k2 24 EX Success! Gaining +1k1 to Focus round

Wanting to know Reflexes & Void

D9 Serpent Iaijutsu(Focus)/Void TN 10: 6d10o10k5+3 31 <- Focus if you want to continue

Asako Saburo

Post by Asako Saburo » Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:40 am

Saburo was a stubborn one, and even if he knew walking into this that he was dueling an actual kakita trained duelist, so he could appreciate that he was easily outgunned for now. Yet, the fact remained that they'd agreed that the test was not complete without the strike, and he was not about to change his stance on that. Furthermore, Kenji had agreed to a method that should avoid actually hurting anyone, so that would settle that. And so, his eyes locked in with considerably greater focus. Now, it was apparent that, skill or no skill, he knew what he was doing.

But he was still not a Kakita.

(OOC: First strike to Kenji)

Kakita Kenji

Post by Kakita Kenji » Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:47 am

In a way, Kenji admired the determination Saburo showed. He had already confessed that to him. But there was something fanatical about Saburo's determination, something Kenji could not quite understand. This fanaticism could cost Saburo his life one day.

Sabro's gaze had unsettled Kenji a bit but not enough to prevent him from striking first and cutting Saburo's paper.

With a sweeping blow, a loud kiai and a graceful movement Kenji suddenly stood next to Saburo.

The duel was over.

"Thanks Saburo-san, that was an interesting duel," Kenji said with a bow.

---
D9 Serpent Iaijutsu(Strike)/Reflexes +1 Raise for hitting paper TN 22: 6d10o10k5 30

Asako Saburo

Post by Asako Saburo » Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:53 am

There was no bitterness in the way he reacted. He caught hte paper fluttering away and nodded, turning to bow to Kenji properly. "As it should be," he said, even though a part of him that was constantly seeking perfection seemed to scream. It was quashed... far more easily than it might have been before the centering exercises. "Do not expect that the next occasions will be quite so easy, but well dueled. This was ... informative." In ways that simply doing kata could never be.

Kenji was right. There was a sort of fire of determination in those eyes that never quite went away. It didn't focus on him, though, or on anyone. It was just constantly proving itself to himself. Ceaseless and hungry, and one day it might very well cost him.

Toritaka Sasaiko

Post by Toritaka Sasaiko » Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:55 am

Damn. But then, the other one is a Kakita, thinks Sasaiko.

But she says nothing at the moment, though she continues to move, keeping motion and circulation going.

It wouldn't do to shame him with too much concern, especially as he is uninjured.
Toritaka Noriko

Asako Sanzo

Post by Asako Sanzo » Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:09 am

"Well fought. That is an interesting way to practice. I don't think I've seen that before."

Sanzo bows casually to those assembled.
Phoenix Clan ✿ Bushi/Courtier ✿ Painter ✿ Friendly & Chill ✿ Honest ✿
Equipment: Student clothes, Sandals, Straw Hat, Straw cloak, Fan, Lucky cricket

Return to “Serpent”