A bird in the bush is worth two letters in hand (Closed)

Asako Saburo

Re: A bird in the bush is worth two letters in hand (Closed)

Post by Asako Saburo » Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:59 am

"My constitution was ... more delicate when I was younger, to be honest. It has taken considerable time to get it to strengthen up, so I usually find that certain seasons can be a little more harsh than they are for others." A shrug and a sigh followed. "But perhaps this winter will not be so harsh." He could certainly hope, at the very least.
Phoenix Clan * Shugenja * Void * Sickly * Hypochondriac
Topaz Points: 212
Carries: Sturdy Clothes, Scroll Satchel, Inquisitor's Strike (Wakizashi, counts as Jade), Jade netsuke

Toritaka Sasaiko

Post by Toritaka Sasaiko » Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:01 am

"I shall hope for it, then, and for your continued strengthening."
Toritaka Noriko
Falcon * Phantom Hunter (Shug)
S 2.0 * G 2.1 * H As Expected

On-site: robes, sandals, and scroll satchel and scrolls, Seppun blade, Miya-made map of Tsuma; might have money
Off: the above + loaded traveling pack

Asako Saburo

Post by Asako Saburo » Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:05 am

"I believe you will prove to be quite the formidable magistrate in time. It is a pity that the Topaz Championship will not be for some time, but it will come soon enough, and with it finally our adulthood. I find that I am finally coming to wish for the end of my childhood days." Not that he wanted lots of responsibiities, but he was ready to be taken more seriously.
Carries: Sturdy Clothes, Scroll Satchel, Inquisitor's Strike (Wakizashi, counts as Jade), Jade netsuke

Toritaka Sasaiko

Post by Toritaka Sasaiko » Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:14 am

Sasaiko nods.

"There are some things I would do as a woman that I cannot as a girl."
Toritaka Noriko

On-site: robes, sandals, and scroll satchel and scrolls, Seppun blade, Miya-made map of Tsuma; might have money

Asako Saburo

Post by Asako Saburo » Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:24 am

He blinked. His head turned more towards her and he cocked his gaze while seeming genuinely a little confused or concerned. "Uh... well, there are certainly things that I would do differently as a man, than as a boy, but you say that as if it is a thing you can do specifically as a woman. What would you do right now if you were a woman?"

He really needed to stop doing that.

Toritaka Sasaiko

Post by Toritaka Sasaiko » Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:29 am

She blushes again. She can't help it, poor thing, as she looks at him just for a heartbeat and looks away.

In a quiet voice, she says "I might need to find a nakodo."
Toritaka Noriko

Asako Saburo

Post by Asako Saburo » Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:41 am

The wheels began to turn. And... 2+2 = 3. He wasn't sure why she would need to find a nakodo. His head cocked the other way. "Toritaka-san, even when we are adults, isn't it our families that usually meet with the Shika family?" he said, those yellow eyes showing only a partial recognition before ... wait for it... wait for it... wait for it...

His eyes opened a fraction more widely and his face went about as red as his outfit and he looked away, taking a careful sip. People didn't get married for reasons like that, did they? Duty, and you found ways to like or tolerate each other. That was how that was supposed to. Cough, hack. Sipping. Bad idea. "I... I... see." So she wasn't running a fever. "I... perhaps one could be contacted. But once they are involved it is usually out of children's hands, yes? That sort of thing takes time." Mumble, mumble. "I would not be opposed to negotiations."

He swallowed hard and his eye glanced towards her. "Hypothetically... theoretically... of course. In reality, we never spoke of this, yes?" And he leaned in a lot closer than he had ever leaned in to whisper. "These servants natter like fish wives about me and a few others. I won't have them natter about you, Toritaka-san."

Toritaka Sasaiko

Post by Toritaka Sasaiko » Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:47 am

As he leans in, her blush deepens.

Is he going to kiss me? she thinks.

And when he speaks, she thinks Should I kiss him?

But, whether it is because of timing or a concern about the servants--or another, much more important passer-by--she does not.

Yet.

"We'll have to keep it quiet, then. Maybe letters, like we talked about earlier?"
Toritaka Noriko

Asako Saburo

Post by Asako Saburo » Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:54 am

"There is absolutely nothing wrong with correspondence between fellow students of an imperial dojo." He was trying to put on a cool exterior. Honestly, he was a little shocked. It wasn't that Sasaiko was unattractive or undesirable. It was that he hadn't even thought of himself as marriage material and had been so busy just building his health and studying that the mere thought hadn't entered is head. His pulse was racing and his face was still fiercely red. It was obvious that he was attempting to maintain composure and keep things stiff and formal. "I have a few that I will be arranging in coming days, after all. I will simply have to buy a few scented papers is all."

Maybe learn how to write a damned poem. Swallow. He glanced at her, and he saw her lips for the first time. They looked ... Oh kami, was I supposed to ki... NOT IN PUBLIC! UNACCEPTABLE! He swallowed had, closing his eyes. "You... are not what I expected to find here, Toritaka-san."

Toritaka Sasaiko

Post by Toritaka Sasaiko » Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:06 am

At least it's not just me, she thinks.

Her breathing is a bit heavier than it perhaps should be.

"Nor you for me, Asako-san. But I am glad to have done so."
Toritaka Noriko

Asako Saburo

Post by Asako Saburo » Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:08 am

"I look forward to having the chance to correspond soon." And maybe other th... STOP THINKING ABOUT THAT! A swallow. Kami. This must be easy for that mantis oaf. he's doing it all the time. Not that Saburo had any interest in being like that, but he could envy how in control he was in situations like this once in a while. This would, definitely, give them a chance to get to know each other a bit as time went, which was... good. They needed time away from a thousand servants and nosy Doji neighbors.

Toritaka Sasaiko

Post by Toritaka Sasaiko » Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:15 am

"Not too soon, though," she smirks. "I do rather enjoy your company in person, after all."

She winks, then laughs.
Toritaka Noriko

Asako Saburo

Post by Asako Saburo » Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:44 am

FUCK!

ABORT ABORT ABORT!

Fine, don't. Blush like a lame-brain, but don't choke on your tea, damnit!

... *cough*

He breathed in carefully before giving her a final, on-broken smile, trying and failing composure. "Toritaka-san. Please do not do that to me in public. I am only so good at keeping a straight face, I assure you. I appreciate your company as well. I would rather not be relegated to letter writing until we must."

Toritaka Sasaiko

Post by Toritaka Sasaiko » Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:59 am

Still smiling, she asks "Do what, exactly?"
Toritaka Noriko

Asako Saburo

Post by Asako Saburo » Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:30 am

"You have been hiding a little impish streak from me," He said mildly, setting the tea-cup down. Wouldn't do to drop it. His body shifted and he glanced over at her, resting one hand on the mat a little more casually. "Wink at me. Can't have me blushing too much in public. Everyone will notice, given my complexion. But... if we are speaking like this..."

"You may call me Saburo in private, if you wish."

Toritaka Sasaiko

Post by Toritaka Sasaiko » Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:42 am

"For a while, Saburo-san, you may call me Sasaiko."

She grins.

"But I'll try not to wink too much."

The grin spreads.

"I can't let it lose its effect on you, now, can I?"
Toritaka Noriko

Asako Saburo

Post by Asako Saburo » Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:06 am

"I suspect you might have a long time to wait for it to lose its effect, Sasaiko-san," he said, managing a little laugh and reaching up to scratch the back of his head while the two of them talked, sighing some. He closed his eyes and bit his lip, looking for a moment nervous. It was ... a strange expression in his face, but there was nerves.

"May I ask? Why... are you interested? I am not used to it." From anyone really. He didn't think that way about himself usually.

Toritaka Sasaiko

Post by Toritaka Sasaiko » Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:17 pm

"Hmmm. Hard to put it down to one thing or another," she replies, tapping her chin thoughtfully.

"Maybe it's because I see glimmers of the fire under all the restraint."
Toritaka Noriko

Asako Saburo

Post by Asako Saburo » Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:06 pm

"Well, I mean, my Fire has always been the one trait of myself that was not def...." He paused and blinked again. The wheels were turning, and when he picked up that she might have meant other fires, he swallowed. He was imagining something that he suspected Kokyou might have imagined for a second, and his face was red again.

"I am a man of considerable passion, yes..." he managed, trying not to look hideously awkward as he said it. "I admit that I've never considered that kind of passion for long. I didn't think I'd... Uh... well... I honestly didn't think I'd... uh..." Scratch at the back of his head. "Have the stamina to keep up."

Toritaka Sasaiko

Post by Toritaka Sasaiko » Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:10 pm

Her smile is a kindly one as she replies "I'm told that that is something true of many young men. I'm also told that diligent practice can improve stamina in that regard as in many others. And we have shown that we practice well together, have we not?"
Toritaka Noriko

Return to “Monkey”