The Bath, My Only Friend

Yogo Otoko

The Bath, My Only Friend

Post by Yogo Otoko » Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:41 am

Otoko's meal was light that morning. She was never a heavy eater, and for some reason or another, she had even less of an appetite today than usual. It gave her more time for the baths however. She cleaned purposefully, taking her time with her long black hair before settling into the hot water after she was fully clean. Her eyes closed and she relaxed, almost meditating.
Scorpion Clan + Shugenja + Cursed + Distant + Unicorn Trained + Haunted

Mai

Re: The Bath, My Only Friend

Post by Mai » Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:04 am

And then she was joined by Mai.

Mai bows and smiles cheerfully. "Yogo-sama. It's been so long. I've missed you."
Mantis Clan Shugenja *Water * Thunder * Prodigy * Lucky

Status: 2.0 * Glory: 2.0 * Honor: What is Expected * Topaz Points: 42 * Unofficial Topaz Points: 108

Items: Scrolls, Jade

Yogo Otoko

Post by Yogo Otoko » Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:22 pm

Otoko opened an eye only when Mai spoke up as she entered the hot water. She'd heard the cleaning, but was quite introverted in her thoughts. Her eyes likely would have still remained closed if it weren't for the familiar voice. She even took a moment to give a seated bow, her long hair tied up in a sort of bun to keep it out of the water. She wore no mask either, just like at meal time.

"...Mai-san, ohaiyo. It has not been so long really, but I am... honored you feel so. You have been well." It really didn't seem a question, as if the answer was already expected.

Mai

Post by Mai » Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:02 am

Mai nods. "I hope you have been well as well. I admit I was a little worried when I didn't see you in the barracks when the goblins attacked."

Status: 2.0 * Glory: 2.0 * Honor: What is Expected * Topaz Points: 42 * Unofficial Topaz Points: 108

Yogo Otoko

Post by Yogo Otoko » Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:12 pm

For just a moment, the faintest of smirk's touched Otoko's lips. "...I am hardly worth a bakemono's time. Too gamey and tough."

Mai

Post by Mai » Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:22 am

Mai started to disagree with her. Then realized that saying the goblins would in fact eat her is probably not not a good thing to say. So... change of subject.

"So, what do you think you'll be doing after Topaz?"

Yogo Otoko

Post by Yogo Otoko » Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:17 am

Otoko shrugged her slim shoulders out of the water a moment. "...I am entirely uncertain. I make a poor healer or physician, and I am not very... war like... so I doubt I would help the Scorpion armies. I am not meant for court either. Perhaps I will tend to a library and do research. Or, perhaps, a temple."

She paused, looking to Mai a moment. "I am quite modestly jealous of you Mai-san, very slightly. You already know your own path, and I imagine you have for some time."

Mai

Post by Mai » Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:23 am

Mai gives a half-smile. "Actually, I have been pondering that lately. This school has shown me many things. Revealed things about myself I didn't know. I think I may walk a different path. Though I'm not quite sure yet. I need to do see if I can make arrangements."

Mai was relieved. Otoko wouldn't be in the Scorpion armies. She hadn't considered the possibility, but she was relieved. She liked the people here and her path may lead to them being on the opposite side of the battlefield.

Yogo Otoko

Post by Yogo Otoko » Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:30 am

Otoko nodded softly. "Having options is always good, of course. Kokyou-san seemed quite certain that you would be a navigator... but then, between you and I Mai-san, he seems quite certain of everything when perhaps he shouldn't."

Mai

Post by Mai » Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:29 pm

"Well, bold action and confidence is a virtue among the Mantis, but... well, that was the plan. I haven't talked to him about my changing thoughts." Mai considered if she should say anything. But Otoko is a friend. "I'm thinking of trying to become a mercenary rather than a navigator."

Yogo Otoko

Post by Yogo Otoko » Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:46 am

The barest hint of a frown touched Otoko's lips for a moment, as if showing a more stern response forthcoming, but she immediately looked more neutral again, and her response fit it. "...If that is what Mai-san wishes, I can only wish her the best. I am certain you would excel at it."

Mai

Post by Mai » Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:14 am

Mai notices Otoko's reaction. "I am not interested in what most people are interested in that sort of life. I am hoping to find a way to learn and grow from it."

Yogo Otoko

Post by Yogo Otoko » Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:15 am

Otoko shook her head. ,"I would not judge you Mai-san. I don't believe you would go into anything for untoward reasons. I am quite sincere in my well wishes. Perhaps you would say what you wish to learn? Certainly, it would come with the possibility of extensive travel."

Mai

Post by Mai » Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:23 pm

"Tactics. Battle. I have found a love for the subject that I had never considered before. Watching how armies move, being a part of them, would help in my understanding."

Yogo Otoko

Post by Yogo Otoko » Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:08 pm

Otoko nodded again. "I cannot say that I understand the fascination, but war is ever a samurai's duty after all, so it is a fine thing to study. Why as a mercenary though, instead of with the Mantis armies? I assume you have one, even for such a small clan."

Mai

Post by Mai » Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:15 pm

"Well, we don't typically use armies for the land. And naval tactics are a bit different than lands ones. Besides, our armies are typically hired out as mercenaries. I admit, I hope to be join those going to the Lion. They would be the best to learn from."

Yogo Otoko

Post by Yogo Otoko » Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:46 am

Otoko didn't know much about armies, let alone Lion armies. She still wasn't certain it was entirely comfortable for her, but she still trusted Mai's judgement. "Ah... ano... to what end then? Would you seek to return to the Mantis and grow their army, or make it something more than it is now? Or would you seek to lead Mantis mercenaries better? Or, perhaps, to seek to marry into another clan with your skills?"

Mai

Post by Mai » Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:16 am

Mai pondered that for a bit. "I don't know. I just like learning. I haven't really thought about how to use it. Though bringing such knowledge back to my Clan seems like the right choice. Yoritom-sama is an ambitious man. He could make use of such knowledge."

Yogo Otoko

Post by Yogo Otoko » Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:07 pm

"...I am no pacifist, but I hope it will not be used too readily. I come from a family that welcomes death with stoic acceptance, but I still believe there is much more in this life on Ningen-Do to be found in a long life." And I wish you a long one Mai-san, she left unsaid.

Mai

Post by Mai » Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:32 am

Mai thought how to respond. It was pretty touching. "Do not worry yourself about me. I don't intend to die anytime soon. We Mantis do not fear death, but we are not eager for it either. I hope to tell our grandchildren about our time here." She returned the sentiment to her friend.

Return to “Hare”