Games people play

Iuchi Prashant

Games people play

Post by Iuchi Prashant » Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:35 pm

Prashant had heard some people mentioning a possible games tournament coming up, and as he had little experience with games other than having observed people playing Go or Shogi now and then and some memories from his childhood, he had meant to go after one of the Sensei to see whether they could learn at least 'something' about them.

But somehow, he felt... changed after the last lesson with Tai Yu, He couldn't really put his finger on what was different - and he couldn't really know what exactly he would want to learn about games... But somehow, he felt he should do it.

He made his way through the dojo, his mind involuntarily wandering to the sounds and feelings around him as he looked for the Ikoma Sensei he had seen some times before. He had heard he knew some things about different games, so he sounded like the right person to talk to.
Adult name: Iuchi Prashstam
Unicorn Clan * Shugenja/Artisan * "Pu-ra-what?" * Ascetic * Friendly smile * Monk-y

Honor: Exceptional * Status:1 * Glory:2.9 * Infamy: 0.5 * Topaz Pt: 211 (End D5)
Items: Purple/gray robes, sandals, trinket satchel, copy of the Tao, stone with 'cup' kanji.
Description Pt2
Theme
Speaking in Tegensai
Speaking in Ujik

Vutall

Re: Games people play

Post by Vutall » Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:48 pm

Ikoma Ikehata sat near the bath area, staring intensely at some frogs
Trickling down while we're dying of hunger.

Iuchi Prashant

Post by Iuchi Prashant » Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:28 am

Prash approaches the Ikoma slowly, bowing when he comes closer.

"Ikoma-sensei. Good afternoon." He looks at the frogs as well, curiously. He has seen them before, but never from up close such as this.

"Might this one take a bit of your time?"
Unicorn Clan * Shugenja/Artisan * "Pu-ra-what?" * Ascetic * Friendly smile * Monk-y

Honor: Exceptional * Status:1 * Glory:2.9 * Infamy: 0.5 * Topaz Pt: 211 (End D5)
Items: Purple/gray robes, sandals, trinket satchel, copy of the Tao, stone with 'cup' kanji.
Description Pt2
Theme
Speaking in Tegensai
Speaking in Ujik

Vutall

Post by Vutall » Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:57 am

"What do you need, Iuchi-san?"

He says without looking up from the frogs.

Iuchi Prashant

Post by Iuchi Prashant » Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:23 am

He answers also looking at the frogs.

"This one has heard some of the students mentioning some training in games, and even a championship were to occur during the next days."

He takes another slow step forward, looks at the Sensei, then down at the frogs again.

"I... haven't had much experience with games except for watching some playing now and then, and I heard Ikoma-sensei is an expert in them. So I was wondering if Ikoma-sensei could give me some guidance. I mean... about the meaning of games, as well. Their significance."

Description Pt2
Theme
Speaking in Tegensai
Speaking in Ujik

Vutall

Post by Vutall » Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:11 am

"Why, to match wits with your opponent of course! But each game has its own subtle flavor. Kemari is all about grace and dignity. Shogi and Go are that of a battlefield commanders skill. Letters are all about mystery and word play, and Fortune and Winds is about well, fortune!"

He reaches out and pokes a frog, causing it to jump away.

Iuchi Prashant

Post by Iuchi Prashant » Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:35 am

The Unicorn boy takes some time to answer again, instead taking another slow step forward and kneels, looking at the frogs.

"Hai... I think I understand", he finally speaks. "They are... contests of skill, then". He seems to be stating the obvious, but somehow it doesn't seem as obvious to him.

"I remember playing some games as a kid, but I felt them more as ways to bond than actual contests", he says. "Maybe... you could think of them as ways to improve your own wit, or test them?"

He extends his hand towards one of the frogs, as if trying to draw it nearer.

"Ikoma-sensei... do you have a preferred game? I'm wondering if I should try to learn some more about one of them."

Description Pt2
Theme
Speaking in Tegensai
Speaking in Ujik

Vutall

Post by Vutall » Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:38 am

"Hmm. It really depends on my mood. Today I am feeling...playful. So perhaps Kemari?"

Iuchi Prashant

Post by Iuchi Prashant » Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:57 am

"Hm. I'm afraid I have barely any experience with it, Ikoma-sensei. But if you wouldn't mind me taking some of your time, I would be happy to learn some about whichever you feel would be more to your liking", he says, looking at the sensei and smiling.

Description Pt2
Theme
Speaking in Tegensai
Speaking in Ujik

Vutall

Post by Vutall » Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:05 am

"Do you have a ball?"

He pokes another frog, watching it hop along.

Iuchi Prashant

Post by Iuchi Prashant » Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:11 am

He thinks for a while.

"I... don't. Sumimasen, Ikoma-sensei. Should I go and fetch one?"

Description Pt2
Theme
Speaking in Tegensai
Speaking in Ujik

Vutall

Post by Vutall » Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:16 am

"I'll go. Don't worry."

With that, he springs to his feet and saunters off.

Iuchi Prashant

Post by Iuchi Prashant » Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:19 am

"Hai, doumo arigatou gozaimasu Ikoma-sensei." He says, bowing respectfully but with a smile on his lips, then stretches, then stands looking at the frogs again while he waits.

Description Pt2
Theme
Speaking in Tegensai
Speaking in Ujik

Vutall

Post by Vutall » Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:24 am

A short while later, the Ikoma comes back, toss a ball and catching it with his hands.

"Have you played before, Iuchi-san?"

Iuchi Prashant

Post by Iuchi Prashant » Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:33 am

The Iuchi turns towards the sensei again, looking at the ball. "Not seriously, sensei. I have played with balls along with some of my colleagues a long time ago, but I don't think it was Kemari."

Description Pt2
Theme
Speaking in Tegensai
Speaking in Ujik

Vutall

Post by Vutall » Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:45 am

"The rule of the game is simple. We are not in the proper attire for it, but that doesn't matter much for just learning. It is a game between courtiers when they are in formal court wear. The must keep the ball from touching the floor, using only their feet, and without making themselves look foolish."

Iuchi Prashant

Post by Iuchi Prashant » Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:08 am

"Hai... I understand", he says, nodding and looking at the ball. "I'm... unsure whether I will be wearing very formal attire often, so... would Ikoma-sensei tell me whether I'm doing it properly, onegaishimasu?"

Description Pt2
Theme
Speaking in Tegensai
Speaking in Ujik

Vutall

Post by Vutall » Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:10 am

"Of course!"

And with that, the game begins.

Iuchi Prashant

Post by Iuchi Prashant » Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:43 am

The Unicorn boy tries to go along with the Ikoma, keeping the ball from hitting the ground.

After some time, he even seems to find some enjoyment with the game. He wasn't so sure about his posture and performance, but it was somehow fun!

Description Pt2
Theme
Speaking in Tegensai
Speaking in Ujik

Return to “Monkey”