En Garde

Asako Saburo

Re: En Garde

Post by Asako Saburo » Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:24 am

"Well, do we have the shoulderblade of an ox? That and a proper fire could serve sufficiently for the purposes you seek." Of all the divination tools Saburo could have mentioned, his first was scapulomancy, a rather outdated method to say the least. "We would, however, require a stencil to inscribe the words for the purposes of which the divination was to be conducted."
Phoenix Clan * Shugenja * Void * Sickly * Hypochondriac
Topaz Points: 212
Carries: Sturdy Clothes, Scroll Satchel, Inquisitor's Strike (Wakizashi, counts as Jade), Jade netsuke

Kuni Yotsuo

Post by Kuni Yotsuo » Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:47 am

"I don't think they know what will happen, because if they did they would not bother providing guidance. I think they understand the direction that the future flows in and does what it can to defend us by showing us the path most likely to lead to our successful resistance of evil. When we seek our path, we can do so without the guidance of the heavens and we may succeed despite that, but it is the trust and deference that we give to the heavens and it's wisdom that strengthens us against the threats we face," Yotsuo offers.

"The heavens plan is not the only one that exists, but it is the one that guides us to preserve ourselves against evil. We still make the decisions that determine our eventual fates, hopefully for the good of all, but sometimes not so much. We are mortals after all, prone to mistakes and failure."
Crab ѻ Monk ѻ Spirit Walker ѻ Obsessive ѻ Chosen by the Oracle of Earth ѻ Emissary of the Spirit Realms ѻ Friend of the Brotherhood ѻ Prodigy ѻ Profile
Honor: Expected ѻ Glory: 3.0 ѻ Status: 3.0 ѻ Topaz Points: 0
Carries: Fine clothing, incense brazier, small statue, ink brush kit, jade pendant, jade finger

Kaito Haruki

Post by Kaito Haruki » Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:20 am

"Which brings up an interesting question regardless of which way you see fate, what happens when one does something so out of the ordinary that it cannot be forseen?"
Proper full name is Isawa Kunio of House Kaito: Bushi,Courtier Mons: Chest: Phoenix R Shoulder: Isawa L Shoulder: Kaito Honor: 6.1 Glory: 4.9 Status: 2 Wound Status: Healthy Phoenix Clan TP: 224
Water Bottle, Coin Purse, Fan, Jade Finger

Matsu Qiang

Post by Matsu Qiang » Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:58 am

On the other side of the courtyard, the new Lion student could be seen practicing defensive stances with a bokken. It looked like he knew how to handle the bokken, but switching from high guard to low guard and back looked somewhat awkward for him.
Lion Clan • Competitor • Crab Hands • Strong • Betrothed
Status 1.0 • Glory 5.3 • Exceptional Honor

Kuni Yotsuo

Post by Kuni Yotsuo » Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:09 am

"I think that probably happens more than we might guess. And it probably doesn't have to much impact on the way things go. My family's duty exist because there are people that act in accordance with plans that the lower realms lay for them. They don't follow the path laid for them by the heavens. But I imagine that there are plenty of people that follow paths between those two, the higher and the lower. And that makes a certain amount of sense because Ningen-do is in the middle. But what can we do when something unexpected happens other than react to it? The heavens likewise would probably react, but they do so with their great wisdom for the benefit of us all."
Crab ѻ Monk ѻ Spirit Walker ѻ Obsessive ѻ Chosen by the Oracle of Earth ѻ Emissary of the Spirit Realms ѻ Friend of the Brotherhood ѻ Prodigy ѻ Profile
Carries: Fine clothing, incense brazier, small statue, ink brush kit, jade pendant, jade finger

Asako Saburo

Post by Asako Saburo » Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:31 am

Saburo didn't know whether or not to agree one way or another, and wasn't entirely sure that there was a 'correct' answer in this regard. He didn't favor the Isawa's approach, mostly because deciphering through omens had never been truly a strong point for him. He preferred defined, clearly conceivable results, ones that could be reproduced, verified or at least testimonies that could be collaborated. Divination was even less sure than speaking to the kami at times.

Continuing through his exercises in iai, he happened to notice the young lad of the Lion. They'd remained quiet throughout these proceedings. Enough so that he was surprised to see them. He'd begun to wonder if there were any here. Bowing once to the boy, he didn't move to interrupt his work, but made mental note he was there for the future.
Phoenix Clan * Shugenja * Void * Sickly * Hypochondriac
Topaz Points: 212
Carries: Sturdy Clothes, Scroll Satchel, Inquisitor's Strike (Wakizashi, counts as Jade), Jade netsuke

Kaito Haruki

Post by Kaito Haruki » Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:19 am

"Regardless of why we do divinations, surely it wouldn't be cost efficient to use an ox's shoulder bone every time you needed to see what the future holds. Aren't there some coins or something?"
Proper full name is Isawa Kunio of House Kaito: Bushi,Courtier Mons: Chest: Phoenix R Shoulder: Isawa L Shoulder: Kaito Honor: 6.1 Glory: 4.9 Status: 2 Wound Status: Healthy Phoenix Clan TP: 224

Iuchi Prashant

Post by Iuchi Prashant » Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:58 am

Still practicing his Iai stance and sword drawing while the others discussed divination, the Iuchi bows to the Lion as he entered the room, and finally stops for a moment when they mentioned coins.

"I have brought some Kawaru coins, Isawa-san. I'm... not particularly well-versed in divination, and... I think I tend to agree with Kuni-san's views on how the great tapestry of fate is knit. But we might try to see what we can fathom of destiny's voice later today, or tomorrow, if minna-san are interested in doing it.
Adult name: Iuchi Prashstam
Unicorn Clan * Shugenja/Artisan * "Pu-ra-what?" * Ascetic * Friendly smile * Monk-y

Honor: Exceptional * Status:1 * Glory:2.9 * Infamy: 0.5 * Topaz Pt: 211 (End D5)
Items: Purple/gray robes, sandals, trinket satchel, copy of the Tao, stone with 'cup' kanji.
Description Pt2
Theme
Speaking in Tegensai
Speaking in Ujik

Kaito Haruki

Post by Kaito Haruki » Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:05 am

"Tomorrow sounds good for that, and thank you for having a way to do divination that doesn't require butchery."

Iuchi Prashant

Post by Iuchi Prashant » Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:33 am

He nods to the Isawa, smiling. "We'll do that tomorrow then". He then looks at both Saburo and Haruki in turn. "But... I guess all different methods of divination take the matter up in different ways, so I could see the value in the diversity. It is not unlike with weapons", he turns his head towards the wooden weapon rack. "Or with ways of talking to and entreating the Kami, even. Different families focus on different elements, different prayers... some of us even use different methods", he says as he holds an aquamarine pendant hanging from his neck. "Some may be more traditional, and we may find the one or the other more pleasing, but that doesn't mean diversity is inherently bad, I guess", he says with a gentle smile, his eyes half-closed.
Unicorn Clan * Shugenja/Artisan * "Pu-ra-what?" * Ascetic * Friendly smile * Monk-y

Honor: Exceptional * Status:1 * Glory:2.9 * Infamy: 0.5 * Topaz Pt: 211 (End D5)
Items: Purple/gray robes, sandals, trinket satchel, copy of the Tao, stone with 'cup' kanji.
Description Pt2
Theme
Speaking in Tegensai
Speaking in Ujik

Kuni Yotsuo

Post by Kuni Yotsuo » Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:07 pm

"I know very little of divination. It's not something I've studied before so other than common uses like coins and stars, I really don't know the different ways it can be done."

Iuchi Prashant

Post by Iuchi Prashant » Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:41 pm

The Unicorn looks at Yotsuo for a moment. "Well.... To be honest, as I said it's not an art I'm particularly well-versed in either. I just feel the variety in its methods is probably not unlike that in other matters!", he says, shrugging with an easy smile on his face.

Description Pt2
Theme
Speaking in Tegensai
Speaking in Ujik

Return to “Serpent”