Groggy wakings and heartfelt apologies

Asako Saburo

Re: Groggy wakings and heartfelt apologies

Post by Asako Saburo » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:56 am

Saburo's eyes shot open at the mention of a bakaneko. While he was hardly trained on the subject, he had heard enough wives tales to know of the two-tailed cat spirits who were Sakkaku's version of the more noble Kitsune spirit. They were hazardous but not necessarily malicious creatures. He stared at the Kaito for a second before looking at the Asako for confirmation.

What the hell was a trickster spirit doing here? Was there not a gaki already?

He bit his tongue for now, but there were things he would ask soon.
Phoenix Clan * Shugenja * Void * Sickly * Hypochondriac
Topaz Points: 212
Carries: Sturdy Clothes, Scroll Satchel, Inquisitor's Strike (Wakizashi, counts as Jade), Jade netsuke

Vutall

Post by Vutall » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:17 am

The sensei looks at the mask for a few moments before handing it back.

"You have a powerful nemuranai, Isawa-no-Kaito-san. Use it wisely, and take the warnings to hear. The realm question is who has earned the ire of Sakkaku to bring a Bakeneko here..."
Trickling down while we're dying of hunger.

Asako Saburo

Post by Asako Saburo » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:25 am

"They are not usually prone to malice in their tricks," Saburo growled out, folding his arms. "Though I doubt such a creature would actually know if a game they played might be truly harmful. They're basically immortal like most things of that realm. As you say, Asako-sama. Why one is here is as important as the power of this mask. Is its game done, or will it cause another?"
Carries: Sturdy Clothes, Scroll Satchel, Inquisitor's Strike (Wakizashi, counts as Jade), Jade netsuke

Vutall

Post by Vutall » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:27 am

"I would expect that the mask is another cog in its wheel of games. Listen to what it told you carefully, Isawa-no-Kaito-san"

Kaito Haruki

Post by Kaito Haruki » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:29 am

"That is also why I am here. Just before coming to Hirosaka, while studying in Otosan Uchi, it warned me that it would come for me this week. I heard these spirits just play tricks that may get a little dangerous. I thought it would only target me, so I decided to hold off on telling an adult because I wanted to be able to take care of my own problems, and not embarrass the Phoenix by implying they sent someone who is definitely not ready for Gempaku this year." He then gets on his knees and bows deeply. "Because of my failure of judgement, several students now have their hands on a tool which if used incorrectly, will doom their souls."
Proper full name is Isawa Kunio of House Kaito: Bushi,Courtier Mons: Chest: Phoenix R Shoulder: Isawa L Shoulder: Kaito Honor: 6.1 Glory: 4.9 Status: 2 Wound Status: Healthy Phoenix Clan TP: 224
Water Bottle, Coin Purse, Fan, Jade Finger

Vutall

Post by Vutall » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:43 am

The sensei looks down at Haruki and frowns, sadness in her eyes.

"You...You have been given a heavy burden, Isawa-no-Kaito-san, something you will live with for a long time...but have no shame, you have not done anything wrong. The fact that you survived the encounter, no students were injured, and you sought out proper council...You did everything right. Hold your head up high and be proud you overcame this trial."

Kaito Haruki

Post by Kaito Haruki » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:15 pm

"These masks threaten the karmic wheel, that was reason enough to reject the Perfect Land Sect, and it is reason enough for me to reject this mask. I know I am not a full fledged samurai yet, but if I were one, would it not be my duty to protect my fellow man from their threat. The requirements to use these are simple enough that if they were to get into a younger child's hand, it would doom them. I surrender this mask in hopes of learning how they work and to put its effects into a warning for those who have one."
Proper full name is Isawa Kunio of House Kaito: Bushi,Courtier Mons: Chest: Phoenix R Shoulder: Isawa L Shoulder: Kaito Honor: 6.1 Glory: 4.9 Status: 2 Wound Status: Healthy Phoenix Clan TP: 224

Vutall

Post by Vutall » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:33 pm

The Asako nods, but then puts her hands up in refusal.

"For better or worse, the mask is yours to watch over. I can not take that duty from you."

Kaito Haruki

Post by Kaito Haruki » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:39 pm

"Very well, if that is what fate has decided, then so be it. I had to at least bring this to your attention, do you have any pointers I could give to the others? If I can't eliminate the dangers, I can at least mitigate them."

Vutall

Post by Vutall » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:45 pm

"Only to listen to exactly what the spirit told you."

Asako Saburo

Post by Asako Saburo » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:09 pm

Saburoo nodded as the conversation seemed to be winding down. He looked at Haruki, his countenance grim... but no more than usual. "I am one who can see the flaws in things early, but spirits of sakkaku are not predictable. They are also not usually a threat. I think Asako-sama is very much correct. This was not predictable. But thank you for letting us know now. In case there are further problems."

Kaito Haruki

Post by Kaito Haruki » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:23 pm

"Considering how every night we have had an encounter with spirits, what do you guys think will be next? Do you think I should invest in some jade powder just in case?" Haruki gets up once he realizes the others aren't admonishing him.

Asako Saburo

Post by Asako Saburo » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:26 pm

"Jade will not help, to my knowledge, but I do no recall the stones chosen for defense against Sakkaku's influence, but Asako-sama can confirm that better than I. After the last two days and the rumors of a gaki from our first night... I intend to read up on the spirit realms today." It was becoming pretty close to a life-preserving choice.

Vutall

Post by Vutall » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:32 pm

"It is odd that there is so much spiritual activity here. I had not known Hirosaka to be a hotbed for such things."

Kaito Haruki

Post by Kaito Haruki » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:37 pm

"I don't think it is the town, but the people in this dojo. Sensei, is there a way to learn the spiritual connections of people without having to go through lengthy rituals?"

Vutall

Post by Vutall » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:45 pm

"There are some who can sense that sort of thing, especially the Kitsu of the Lion, but none are here that I am aware of."

Kaito Haruki

Post by Kaito Haruki » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:54 pm

"Then I guess the best we can do to protect our friends here is to be prepared for the worst. Jade glows when in the presence of dangerous beings right?"

Asako Saburo

Post by Asako Saburo » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:58 pm

"Perhaps... it is as you say, a collection of unique and specially invited individuals all possess something about them that draws them out of the average. Certainly? I must say that there are some very .... singular individuals among our fellow students." He was trying to keep this polite here. "So we may inadvertantly have encountered a spiritual confluence of sorts."

Pause...

"Asako-sama, is it true that some of those here may be invited to the Topaz Championship this year? If so... preparations could be made ahead of time." Because holy crap.

Vutall

Post by Vutall » Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:21 am

The woman nods.

"Indeed, it is quite an honor. You all will be, from my understanding. As far as jade glowing, that is not true, Isawa-no-Kaito-san. Merely a peasant superstition."

Asako Saburo

Post by Asako Saburo » Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:30 am

"Thank you for clarifying that." He hadn't been sure, but... her word helped there. "And if the tournament is to be attended by us, it is indeed an incredible honor. And those who administer the proceedings can be warned in advance of an increase in spiritual activity. Perhaps a Kitsu could be inquired after, or one of the Kuni. Did not the Toritaka mention that her family were known for dealing with spirits as well?"

Return to “Hare”