Mochi and Otomo Guidance!, Barracks

Otomo Nobuko

Re: Mochi and Otomo Guidance!, Barracks

Post by Otomo Nobuko » Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:42 am

"I am negotiating on behalf of Yasuki-san," she said, turning her head to the side when 'coin' was mentioned as if she hadn't heard the word at all. "If you have already taught him Go - and that is a fine thing - perhaps something else is better offered? Or perhaps a favor to be collected in the future?"

Nobuko glanced toward Ginkarasu, "Is there something else you'd like to learn, in the coming days, Yasuki-san, or do you wish time to think on it?"

She was purposely avoiding giving him the option of picking 'coin' with the question, but if that was his preference, she would then take up negotiating the actual, physical, price.
Imperial * Artisan * Courtier * Different School * Enlightened * Sacrosanct * Beautiful Soul * Experienced
Honor: Exceptional | Status: 3.5 | Glory: 4.5 | Final Topaz Points: 249
Beautiful Clothing, Fan, Gloves, Wicker Umbrella, Personal Chop, Knot of Happiness Netsuke, Bejeweled Lizard-Shaped Ear Cuff on Left Ear

Yasuki Ginkarasu

Post by Yasuki Ginkarasu » Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:05 am

He pauses, thinks hard, "Gifts that might be offered to benefit those defending the Empire are always accepted." He looks to the Otomo a moment nodding, I don't want to trap you like the Ruby Champion did the clans, but I want to honor my ancestors too.

Then back to the Kakita. "It's also possible that you might know skills that someone else is hoping for, if you don't know ones I'm hoping to learn here! I know I'm interested in learning Sadane, for example. Or Horsemanship! We could find a way to better each other, and if my mochi starts that, then I think the friendships that sharing our knowledge could bring would be well worth it."
Crab Clan • Bushi • Yojimbo • Disfigured • Profile • Fire Brigade
Honor: What is Expected • Status: 1.0 • Glory: 3.7 (2.7 w/Crabs) • Infamy: 1.0 • Topaz Points: 209
Gear: Sturdy Clothing, sandals, coin purse, water bottle, small knife, map of Tsuma
“Strive for progress, not perfection.”

Otomo Nobuko

Post by Otomo Nobuko » Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:59 am

Nobuko smiled brightly at Ginkarasu's wording, covering her mouth with a hand when she felt it get too wide so she had time to regain her composition and make her expression less openly emotional, "Yes, indeed. Any gifts to the Crab for the betterment of the Wall will gladly be accepted. But bettering ourselves and our knowledge, building friendships, will also aid in that."

She wanted tell the Yasuki that she was very proud of his phrasing, because it edged the line between outright commerce and a proper samurai perspective on coin just perfectly. She wished she had thought of it herself!
Imperial * Artisan * Courtier * Different School * Enlightened * Sacrosanct * Beautiful Soul * Experienced
Beautiful Clothing, Fan, Gloves, Wicker Umbrella, Personal Chop, Knot of Happiness Netsuke, Bejeweled Lizard-Shaped Ear Cuff on Left Ear

Kakita Kazuko

Post by Kakita Kazuko » Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:25 pm

Kazuko wonders why Otomo-san is willing to negotiate at all when she seems to dislike the topic of commerce and trading so much and why Ginkarasu-san isn't as concerned with monetary gain as the rest of his clan is. Perhaps Otomo-san owes him a favor of some sort or she's searching for something herself? Regardless, she nods along, concurring that learning new skills would be infinitely more valuable and agreeable than dealing with coin.

"I would be willing to trade information and teach you Sadane. I, myself, wish to learn more about medicine and battle, although my lore skills could also improve greatly. What are you looking to learn, Otomo-san?"
Crane Clan | Bushi | Profile | Way Better than Kotomi
Honor: Exceptional | Status: 1.0 | Glory: 2.4 | TP: 252 (ty oleanderpoison!)
Equipment: Daisho/Light Armor where allowed, Fancy Clothes, Expensive Crane Hairpin (5 koku) and Earrings (2 koku), Fan

Otomo Nobuko

Post by Otomo Nobuko » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:44 am

Every samurai should dislike commerce, in her opinion. It was necessary because of heimin and their needs, but if she didn't feel it worth while to learn at least the basics, she wouldn't have sat herself down with the Crab. "I wish to expand my knowledge in ways that will assure an honorable gempukku. To that end, I suppose I should look to learning a little more of the skills those destined to learn the way of the bushi usually engage in. In exchange, I can help with a versatile base of knowledge, calligraphy, sadane, some of the arts, and... well, I am still only a beginner, but I do have some skill with the bow."

Yasuki Ginkarasu

Post by Yasuki Ginkarasu » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:02 am

Ginkarasu smiles, but doesn't interject. Nobuko wanted to do the negotiations.

He wasn't absolutely certain this wasn't a ploy to get free mochi.

But he did want to learn things.
Honor: What is Expected • Status: 1.0 • Glory: 3.7 (2.7 w/Crabs) • Infamy: 1.0 • Topaz Points: 209
Gear: Sturdy Clothing, sandals, coin purse, water bottle, small knife, map of Tsuma

Kakita Kazuko

Post by Kakita Kazuko » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:45 am

Learning about commerce isn't worth the time in her opinion, at least not when she still has training to complete in other subjects. She can still respect Nobuko for wanting to learn the basics as she handles herself quite elegantly, she supposes.

Kazuko takes a moment to carefully reflect upon her options before responding. Not too long, however, as she still wanted some of that mochi rumored to have been so tasty.

"In exchange for Otomo-san's knowledge about the arts and some mochi, I can reciprocate with my skills as a bushi and at Sadane. I particularly excel in dueling, if that interests you."
Equipment: Daisho/Light Armor where allowed, Fancy Clothes, Expensive Crane Hairpin (5 koku) and Earrings (2 koku), Fan

Otomo Nobuko

Post by Otomo Nobuko » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:13 pm

Nobuko looked to Ginkarasu, "Would such an exchange of knowledge and favors be acceptable to you, Yasuki-san? This is now a three-sided negotiation. I have no issue trading my skills, but you would be the one benefiting from learning Sadane."

Yasuki Ginkarasu

Post by Yasuki Ginkarasu » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:47 pm

He nods. "Sadane...and dueling are both things I would like to know. I think they would be good for a yojimbo. I know uhm, kenjutsu pretty well. And athletic things? And Bushido!"

He thinks a moment, "Oh! I'm not real good at etiquette, but I do know the basics about intimidating people. And I've gotten good at meditation!"

Kakita Kazuko

Post by Kakita Kazuko » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:48 pm

"I am also willing to teach you etiquette if that's what you desire, Ginkarasu-san. By the way, try to not mention the topic of intimidation or threats so overtly as it is seen as crass and dishonorable. Not that you are that, of course."

Hopefully her words aren't taken as offense as Kazuko only means the best for her friend, although they could appear a bit cutting to some.

"So it's a deal then?"

Yasuki Ginkarasu

Post by Yasuki Ginkarasu » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:59 pm

He frowns.

"But my sensei taught me how to intimidate in order to keep my charge alive. It's about making sure the enemy stays focused on me, instead of the person I'm guarding. How is that dishonorable?" He looks to the two, then down to his mochi.

"And it depends on how much mochi."

Otomo Nobuko

Post by Otomo Nobuko » Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:38 am

"That may be so-" and it was certainly something a good yojimbo should be able to do, she could not argue the logic "-but it is still something you should not speak of outside of, perhaps, your fellow bushi or yojimbo. Such talk is rather unbecoming in pubic and among those of us who are... more sensitive."

Such as herself. Having to address it so openly and not roundabout, particularly in front of another person, was rather distressing. Still, she did try to make it not sound accusatory or as if she were berating Ginkarasu. As such, she quickly moved on to the topic of the number of Mochi.

"One mochi," Nobuko. "My lesson on the arts as well as one mochi, for Kakita-san's lessons on Sadane and Dueling. With our meals being so disparate, any small treat becomes a greater commodity to have. Particularly when it's rumored some of the Sensei are fond of them."

-----
ooc:
D3 Dog Courtier/Awareness: 3d10o10k2 13 to politely deflect the conversation away from the topic of intimidation and on to Mochi

Kakita Kazuko

Post by Kakita Kazuko » Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:45 am

"Guarding your charge and is never dishonorable, but it depends on the way you use intimidation that is dishonorable. The topic of intimidation is often associated with those who bully to get what they want which is why it is considered to be a... less honorable skill than others."

(How many mochi are there and what flavors? Will respond to Nobuko in next post)

"So what flavors of mochi are left?"

Yasuki Ginkarasu

Post by Yasuki Ginkarasu » Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:14 am

"I have Daifuku mochi left, 2 Matcha, 3 Red Bean, and 2 White Bean." He waves his hand to the 'table'.

Kakita Kazuko

Post by Kakita Kazuko » Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:07 am

Looking over the options, Kazuko thinks that there isn't a need to hoard the mochi this strongly but she doesn't voice it.

"I'll take a red bean one then."

Yasuki Ginkarasu

Post by Yasuki Ginkarasu » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:53 am

Ginkarasu smiles, "Excellent! Those are my uncle's favorite, and the very ones that got my family invited to bring their best to Otosan Uchi, so the Emperor might try their best! They are likely there right now securing a supply for the Emperor's Winter Court. So you get to try the mochi that changed my family's fortune!"

Kakita Kazuko

Post by Kakita Kazuko » Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:58 pm

"Wow, I will save this mochi for a special occasion later since it will probably taste amazing! Thank you, Ginkarasu-san and Nobuko-san!"

Kazuko pockets the mochi and bows before heading out, pleased at the deal that took place.

/scene?

Otomo Nobuko

Post by Otomo Nobuko » Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:11 pm

After Kazuko left, and once it became clear they weren't likely to have any more customers for the day, Nobuko stood and bowed to Ginkarasu and said her own polite goodbye.

Once she was gone, he would find a small, simple, origami bird sitting where she had sat. When picked up, he would soon realize it was far heavier than it should be. A shake would reveal that there was something inside it's belly. If he unfolded it, he would find 4 zeni that was absolutely not a payment of any sort. Obviously.

/scene

Yasuki Ginkarasu

Post by Yasuki Ginkarasu » Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:25 am

Ginkarasu is very surprised at the origami bird having been left behind.

He'd have to figure out something nice to do for Nobuko. That was really, really kind.

/scene.

Return to “Dog”