D3 EE - Supplication to the Kami

Isawa Tanshin

D3 EE - Supplication to the Kami

Post by Isawa Tanshin » Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:29 am

Tanshin felt exhausted from the days trials. His muscles were sore from the Obstacle Course, other muscles he was scarcely aware of were sore from Horseback Riding, and his brain felt like porridge. Still, he must give thanks to the kami for aiding him in these tasks.

On his way to the shrine, he stopped by a merchant and purchases a rare bottle of Shochu (5bu spent) as an offering.

He knelt before the altar, and lit incense as he chanted his thanks. He filled two cups to overflowing with shochu, and placed them on the altar for the Water Kami. Then, he took a mouthful of shochu, and a lit rod of incense in the other. Careful to not catch anything else on fire, he sprayed the shochu from his mouth across the lit incense, causing the shochu to erupt in flame.
AKA Isawa Saiguren 最紅蓮
Phoenix Clan * Shugenja * Hero of the People
Honor: Exceptional 🐲 Status: 1.0 🐲Glory: 3.0 🐲 Topaz Points: 317 (Day 6)
Wears: Robes, Prayer Beads, Travelling Pack
Carries: Sturdy Walking Staff (Bo)

Ide Hazrat

Re: D3 EE - Supplication to the Kami

Post by Ide Hazrat » Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:08 pm

Hazrat entered silently, watching the Phoenix' actions with interest but not wanting to cause any disturbance. However, Tanshin's display of fire-breathing startled him, and he could not help but let out a small gasp. "Ah!"

"I am sorry," he said, bowing to Tanshin. "I did not mean to interrupt or disturb your prayers. I was just looking for a quiet place where I could listen to the spirits and this seemed like an ideal locale."
Unicorn • Priest • Prodigy • Sage • Traveler • Exotic • Gullible • Lucky * Out Sick
Honor: What is Expected • Status: 1 • Glory: 1 • Topaz Points: 80 • Profile
Gear: Unfashionable robes, Turban, Wakizashi, Scimitar, Lucky charm, Journal
Combat: Light Armor, Scimitar, Wakizashi
Speaking in Ujik
"If you are afraid, don't do it. If you do it, don’t be afraid."

Isawa Tanshin

Post by Isawa Tanshin » Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:02 am

"Not at all. I was just finishing my offering of thanks to the fire kami for aiding me in the tasks of the day.

I dont believe we have met. I am Isawa Tanshin."
AKA Isawa Saiguren 最紅蓮

Ide Hazrat

Post by Ide Hazrat » Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:59 am

Hazrat bows. "I am Ide Hazrat. It is a pleasure to meet you, Tanshin-san."

"Actually, as we are both here seeking contact with the spirits, do you mind if I ask you a question about your offering? It looks as if there are some differences between your style of magic and the traditions I was trained in. I would love to hear the perspectives of a member of the Phoenix."
Unicorn • Priest • Prodigy • Sage • Traveler • Exotic • Gullible • Lucky * Out Sick
Speaking in Ujik

Isawa Tanshin

Post by Isawa Tanshin » Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:32 pm

Tanshin smiled as he rose to his feet.

"I was just offering sacrifices to the Water and Fire kami for their assistance in the days trials. The kami are not crude tools to be grasped, used, and set aside. I try to ensure their continued cooperation, and friendliness through my offerings, as a friend.
I have seen the kami act unexpectedly to petitions in the past, so my perspective is a bit different. "

"What can you tell me of the Unicorn views? When I was being trained by the Ruby Champion, I noticed one of your clan-mates Pe-ru-shen-teru? had conjured the kami with an amulet. I did not have the opportunity to ask him about it. I was quite shy, then. "
AKA Isawa Saiguren 最紅蓮

Ide Hazrat

Post by Ide Hazrat » Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:22 pm

Hazrat nods as he listens to Tanshin's words on his relationship with the kami, considering them carefully. When it is his turn to answer, he does his best to give the clearest perspective he can.

"In the Unicorn Clan, approaches to magic are... 'diverse' would be the best way to describe them, I suppose. They were informed by dozens of cultures, from the Ujik's entreaties to the Lords of the Afterlife to the Name Magic of the Qamarists - which sounds a lot like Prashant-san's style."

"In places where the kami would not answer, people had to look for other methods, and the ones that worked were kept. So a spirit might be bound and commanded, named and invoked, or asked for help and thanked afterward, depending on the land it originated from - or the exact tradition the magician has studied."

He thinks for a moment more. "Perhaps that is the difference I am curious about," he muses quietly. Then, he gives the Phoenix a warm smile. "But, please, do not be shy today, Tanshin-san! Questions are how we learn more about the world and each other. For instance, how would you say you know the kami view you as a friend?"
Speaking in Ujik

Isawa Tanshin

Post by Isawa Tanshin » Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:15 am

"To put it simply, they respond when I ask them to manifest, and more importantly, that they respond to my request narrowly, without any unexpected effect that might harm others ... unless that is my intent.

"I suppose that is not unlike the creation of nemuranai where spirits are invited in to objects to grant them strength and new abilities. I think the difference is invitation vs command. Those lands must have been truly inhospitable to your ancestors. I have heard tales of a great desert... perhaps these practices of binding had caused the kami to leave their lands, rendering it unsuitable."
AKA Isawa Saiguren 最紅蓮

Ide Hazrat

Post by Ide Hazrat » Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:50 am

"I know only a little about the history of that area, but that seems like it could very well be the case, Tanshin-san. Or... maybe the only spirits who are able to remain in such a wasteland are so irritable that they cannot be relied upon to act without 'unexpected effects,' as you say."

Hazrat pauses to think for a moment. "It could be like the chicken and the egg. If the only way to deal with an uncooperative spirit is to bind it, the spirit could continue to resist any other methods. If a shugenja can befriend contented spirits then pleasant interaction might become the only relationship that shugenja is ever prepared for."
Speaking in Ujik

Isawa Tanshin

Post by Isawa Tanshin » Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:51 am

"An intriguing thought. I suppose that we are fortunate that the kami have been so well treated here in the Emerald Empire.
I would not want to entrap a kami, even a minor one for fear of what ripples it may cause throughout the elements. "

"If you will forgive me, I have another appointment to make. If you like, you re likely to find me here again tomorrow."
AKA Isawa Saiguren 最紅蓮

Ide Hazrat

Post by Ide Hazrat » Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:44 am

Hazrat bows. "Of course. Thank you for your time, Tanshin-san. It was very enlightening to speak with you. Until we meet again."

Then, thinking he hears the mewing of a cat, Hazrat investigates to another area of the temple complex.
Speaking in Ujik

Return to “Shrine to the Fortunes”