(Day 1, LA) Come on down, stop on by... [Closed]

Otomo Nobuko

(Day 1, LA) Come on down, stop on by... [Closed]

Post by Otomo Nobuko » Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:34 pm

After the morning's... interesting event at the Inn, Nobuko could think of nothing better to help calm everyone's nerves - mostly hers - than to invite Moto Ichiro to explore Tsuma with her. An afternoon of touring the main districts and being told all about the places her Great Aunt liked to take her when she was not needed at school and when her father was able to visit ended with them entering the area called:

"Little Khanbulak!" she announced, perhaps a bit more excitedly than she needed to as they approached it, "I am told it holds many of the same wares sold in the markets of the great tent city! Exotic spices, strangely woven cloths, forigener toys, odd instruments that make little sense... and some of them are said to have powers and to be blessed by the kami despite their orgin."

Nobuko looked up at Ichiro, clearly pleased at this little slice of his culture - though she had no idea how watered down it was - being readily available for him to explore with her.

"I have not wandered far within it's borders. I thought perhaps you could tell me what curiosities are worth the stories told about them."
Imperial * Artisan * Courtier * Different School * Enlightened * Sacrosanct * Beautiful Soul * Experienced
Honor: Exceptional | Status: 3.5 | Glory: 4.5 | Final Topaz Points: 249
Beautiful Clothing, Fan, Gloves, Wicker Umbrella, Personal Chop, Knot of Happiness Netsuke, Bejeweled Lizard-Shaped Ear Cuff on Left Ear

Moto Ichiro

Re: (Day 1, LA) Come on down, stop on by... [Closed]

Post by Moto Ichiro » Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:55 pm

His initial mood would be determined by how events earlier in the day went but regardless he would not turn down an invitation from Nobuko. He arrived at the entrance to the section he had heard called Little Khanbulak and he admitted a small curiosity about the area and its similarity to a heavily gaijin influenced city. Especially in a Crane city where he wouldn't expect such a thing.

Ichiro approached Nobuko and gave her a bow "Nobu-chan good afternoon, I hope your day is getting better than this morning."
Unicorn Clan • Moto • Large • Confident * bushi
Honor: As Expected | Status: 2.0 | Glory: 3.2
Gear: Sturdy Clothing, Animal hide cloak

Zurui lizard pet TP: 254
speaking: Ujik, Mekhem, Senpet

Otomo Nobuko

Post by Otomo Nobuko » Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:54 pm

"It was better the moment you entered my sight," she said, clasping her hands in front of her to avoid the urge to reach out press them against his chest. She did not yet wear Unicorn colors. She could not quite get away with such a personal greeting.

"But I have spent the time between deciding exactly when I should surprise you with the very best surprise possible," she continued, a playful smile on her lips, "Which is not now. But soon. Right now, Little Khanbulak awaits us! Certainly the merchants will be thrilled to try and entice a man of the Moto with their wares."

She spun to face the district, the motion almost dance-like in it's flow as it somehow made it so she could stand next to him almost within touching distance, "Do you have opinions on foriegner gloves? Are they well made?"

She did have a habit of wearing them, after all.
Imperial * Artisan * Courtier * Different School * Enlightened * Sacrosanct * Beautiful Soul * Experienced
Beautiful Clothing, Fan, Gloves, Wicker Umbrella, Personal Chop, Knot of Happiness Netsuke, Bejeweled Lizard-Shaped Ear Cuff on Left Ear

Moto Ichiro

Post by Moto Ichiro » Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:19 am

Ichiro smirked a little "the very best surprise possible? You promise the moon Nobu-chan." He said with a chuckle relaying an idiom about setting high expectations. "But I know you are good for it."

He looks at he spin and then back to the market "I honestly have never given it much thought, the gloves are well made and do what gloves need to do. Beyond that I have little opinion of them." He replied honestly, and likely frustratingly.

Otomo Nobuko

Post by Otomo Nobuko » Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:33 am

A little frustratingly. She had hoped to gain an insight into a style or fashion he might enjoy that she could also enjoy - the leather was not this and she wasn't really familiar with what foreign elements those of the Unicorn found favorable in patterns or colors or cuts.

"I do not promise the moon," she replied, "but something far more obtainable, while still being the best." She could not wait to show him! Well, yes, she could. The timing had to be perfect!

"Alright, if not gloves... then jewelry? Do you have any you would wear? That perhaps... we could find a matching set of?" And subtly show that they were a pair.

Moto Ichiro

Post by Moto Ichiro » Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:19 am

ichiro chuckled "Nobu-chan, you know i am not one for jewelry but I am one for making you happy. Something simple not too flashy we can pair together. I leave such things to your discretion you are the artisan after all."

Otomo Nobuko

Post by Otomo Nobuko » Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:00 am

That pleased her. Not that he had no real care one way or the other, but that he was happy to allow her to pick something for the both of them.

"Would you be opposed to something you could wear in your beard?" she asked as they walked and her eyes started to scan the stalls. "Or would you prefer an earring? Or something for your hair? Where would you want to wear it so it does not distract you or be a problem should you need to fight?"

Moto Ichiro

Post by Moto Ichiro » Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:00 pm

He thought for a moment "an earring could serve, or something for my hair, or worn on the wrist or finger. Nothing dangling that could get caught while riding through trees."

Otomo Nobuko

Post by Otomo Nobuko » Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:52 pm

"Close to the skin or bound tightly in the hair," she said, defining the terms to herself while she thought... "A ribbon with beads on it that can be braided into the hair might do. It is simple in appearance, but makes a statement. So, too, would a bracelet. Though I would not want something that might go hidden or be uncomfortable if covered by a glove when needed. So a ring could work. But an earring or earcuff might be best..."

Nobuko decided to keep that in mind while they walked, but then changed the topic so they weren't just discussing fashion, "Tell me how your life has been since Hirosaka. We saw each other while visiting Kokyou, but didn't really have the chance to speak."

Mostly because she couldn't stop blushing and getting 'heat sickness' from the sight of him all muscly and covered in water half the time. But that was neither here nor there!

Moto Ichiro

Post by Moto Ichiro » Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:15 pm

Ichiro snorted "couldn't talk because you avoided me like I was carrying plague." He teased as they walked through the market.

"But I have been well, I spent the time between Hirasoka and now studying, martial techniques but also languages and some theology. We had Nadaam, sort of like a Unicorn only Topaz held after our gempukku. New samurai, ashigaru, and even peasants compete. I actually was named victor of the tournament winning two out of the three events." He recounted the events in an even tone as if the results were unsurprising his confidence was great but not boastful more that victory is assured so there is no need to talk about it.

Otomo Nobuko

Post by Otomo Nobuko » Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:37 pm

"I did not avoid you, I was simply effected by the heat more than I expected to be," she replied, clearly flustered as her cheeks heated up at the memory of what lay beneath his shirt.

The blush remained, but cooled slightly as he spoke and described the events that took place. She paid very close attention to the details he gave as those customs would one day be hers to promote.

"It is good to know you have proven yourself so thoroughly," she replied. "And a shame that it does not count as a gempukku in the eyes of others. I'm certain if the only trials you were required to pass to gain my father's signature on the marriage contract were your Nadaam, then he would have no hesitation to do so. But he insists on witnessing your performance here... not that he will be here until the final days when the Iai duels begin, but so long as you take part in them, he will be satisfied. And then we can start planning the wedding in truth. I was doing some reading and spoke to some fortune tellers, and the most auspicious days to get married in the year are already past us. So we will need to plan it to take place next year just as spring begins to break winter's hold. I was... hoping... that in the time between... when duties do not draw either of us away... we might travel together to the shrines of the Empire to ask the fortunes their blessings on our marriage."

She paused only briefly and added in an excited hiss, "We could end our pilgrimage at the Shrine of the Ki-Rin and, if the monks are wiling, hold our ceremony there."

Moto Ichiro

Post by Moto Ichiro » Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:56 pm

"mhm certainly just the heat." he said with a smirk not entirely believing the weak excuse but not pressing further.

He listened attentively a small smile forming as they "Travelling with you would be a wonderful thing, I have always wanted to see more of the Empire that trip sounds like a great chance to do so with someone I care about." He replied in an even tone but the smile on his lips was genuine.

Otomo Nobuko

Post by Otomo Nobuko » Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:47 pm

"I am pleased to be kept in such good company in your heart," she teased him, "Between your horse and Zurui, I worried there would be no room."

Moto Ichiro

Post by Moto Ichiro » Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:46 am

As if summoned the little lizard peeked his head out from under Ichiro's vest and scurried across the young man's broad shoulders and looked down at Nobuko. Ichiro chuckled "what can I say I'm a big man with a big heart there is plenty of room for you next to Zurui and Sanda" he replied

Otomo Nobuko

Post by Otomo Nobuko » Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:31 am

Nobuko reached up to pet Zurui carefully with a finger, cooing at the boy.

"I hope there will be enough room for another," she said cryptically before her eyes fell on the jewelry on display at a stall they were passing. She was immediately gone from his side, gleefully admiring the works for sale. "Ah, there is so much fine craftsmanship! I want it all!"

The merchant perked up at that, though his face fell right after as she continued:

"But no. I am looking for only one thing today. Now... what here can be made a matching set..."

Moto Ichiro

Post by Moto Ichiro » Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:06 am

He looked at her curiously and filed away a mental note to discuss the topic later when they had the chance, perhaps when they were not in such a public venue and could be more open.

Pushing confusion aside Ichiro smiled at Nobuko's exuberance and nodded to the shop keeper "As I said with this I trust you." He spoke with a small smile on his lips.

Otomo Nobuko

Post by Otomo Nobuko » Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:34 pm

She looked up at him and smiled, a hand clandestinely brushing against his beneath the line of the counter before returning her attention to the jewelry. It did take her some time to pick. She held up several items over the course of her decision making to see how they might look on him before settling on an ear cuff cleverly worked to look like a bejeweled lizard.

There was only one, however, so an order had to be put in.

"Two of these, made to fit one each of our ears," she said to the merchant. "When they are done, have them delivered to the estate of Kakita Aoi for her niece, Otomo Nobuko."

The merchant bowed to them, happy to have made a sale to someone who clearly had the money to spend and not a care for the price. "They will be delivered at the end of the tournament, samurai-samas."

She nodded her head in thanks and spun around so she and Ichiro could get back to walking, "Ah, this place is so different than the usual row shops you find in Otasan Uchi or even in the main streets of Tsuma. It's... more enclosed, it feels like. And it smells odd, as well. Not badly, but I do not recognize the spices..."

Moto Ichiro

Post by Moto Ichiro » Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:44 pm

Ichiro listened to the order and nodded satisfied with it. as they continued walking he smiled to her "There are some of the spices of the gaijin here but the real thing is a bit more....aromatic. I have acquired a taste for some of their strange dishes, many of them have a spice to them, a bite, more than any rokugani dishes. Better we start you off on a more mild introduction, this may be a good place to do so." he said with a smile.

Otomo Nobuko

Post by Otomo Nobuko » Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:52 pm

She pouted a little, but did not question the advice, instead taking it as an opportunity to learn more from him, "Then you will have to tell me how much more bite the spices you are used to have. Pick something for us to share. Teach me about the dishes I will find most common in Khanbulak so that I do not make a fool of myself in ignorance."

Moto Ichiro

Post by Moto Ichiro » Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:02 pm

"In the city proper the food is not so different, in some taverns and in the markets you will find the real exotic fair. We are not so different from the rest of the empire. Except in the ways that we are." he said with a chuckle.

they strolled through and Ichiro looked around his surroundings seeing a food stand that had some of the aforementioned strange smells coming from it he purchased a couple of sticks stacked with meat, not red meat of course it looked like chicken with vegetables, onions, peppers, small red things it had been cooked on a grill and had a sharp savory smell to it "This is a kabab food designed to be eaten on the move portable but we can find a secluded spot to eat it." he said holding the two meat skewers

Return to “Little Khanbulak”