A Touch of Home (D1, EE, Open)

Utaku Ichiro

Re: A Touch of Home (D1, EE, Open)

Post by Utaku Ichiro » Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:29 am

"Originally in the steppes outside the Empire where the Ki-Rin first met the Ujik, though it wouldn't surprise me if some had grown in its borders and just gone unnoticed. They are much the same as any other pine tree in terms of growth just some are more fit for eating than others."
Unicorn • Bushi • Experienced • Enlightened • Ascetic • Heroic Muse
Honor: What is Expected • Status: 2.0 • Glory: 5.2 • Infamy: 0.5 • Topaz Points: 229

Gear in Tsuma: Poorly sized purple and ivory utilitarian travelling clothes, charred gold scarf, daisho, jade
Outside Tusma: Unicorn riding horse, riding armor, scimitar, daisho, ono, han-kyu and arrows, jade
Description

Before the thunder can roar the lightning must strike

Kaito Haruki

Post by Kaito Haruki » Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:53 am

D1 EE: Lore (Nature)/Intelligence, TN 15: 4d10o10k3 22

"If they grew in Rokugan naturally, there would be no reason for us to not harvest them. The edible parts are hidden in a shell usually, could I see one of those? Perhaps I could find some when I go back home."
Proper full name is Isawa Kunio of House Kaito: Bushi,Courtier Mons: Chest: Phoenix R Shoulder: Isawa L Shoulder: Kaito Honor: 6.1 Glory: 4.9 Status: 2 Wound Status: Healthy Phoenix Clan TP: 224
Water Bottle, Coin Purse, Fan, Jade Finger

Utaku Ichiro

Post by Utaku Ichiro » Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:38 pm

"I'm not sure the merchant would have them unshelled, more bulk to transport, but you could ask. If not then I am sure if you reached out to the Ide or maybe even the Moto they could provide some."
Honor: What is Expected • Status: 2.0 • Glory: 5.2 • Infamy: 0.5 • Topaz Points: 229

Gear in Tsuma: Poorly sized purple and ivory utilitarian travelling clothes, charred gold scarf, daisho, jade
Outside Tusma: Unicorn riding horse, riding armor, scimitar, daisho, ono, han-kyu and arrows, jade
Description

Kaito Haruki

Post by Kaito Haruki » Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:30 pm

"Fair point, I'll ask when I buy a small portion, just enough to sample all the different ones while we keep moving. I need to see about materials for my clansmen too." Haruki waits for the servant to finish writing his thoughts, then with a fan out gives the request to buy for him. The bag he gets has many different foreign nuts and dried fruit.
Proper full name is Isawa Kunio of House Kaito: Bushi,Courtier Mons: Chest: Phoenix R Shoulder: Isawa L Shoulder: Kaito Honor: 6.1 Glory: 4.9 Status: 2 Wound Status: Healthy Phoenix Clan TP: 224

Utaku Ichiro

Post by Utaku Ichiro » Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:46 pm

"I think some would be surprised to see a prodigy of the Ruby Dojo so focused on the culinary arts. It must be a passion indeed."

Description

Kaito Haruki

Post by Kaito Haruki » Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:53 pm

"It's part of my sensei's training program at home. Since we're training near a border, there's a lot of people who need to do something in the months of quiet. So sensei takes care of that by making everyone learn an art, and since I can't disappoint anyone as top of the Ruby Dojo training, it's only natural I would learn how to do it well. Besides, it's winter for over 6 months near where I live, any excuse to make another fire is welcome."

Utaku Ichiro

Post by Utaku Ichiro » Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:02 pm

Ichiro nods and laughs, "I suppose so. Perhaps I should learn. The mountains will likely be similar."

Description

Kaito Haruki

Post by Kaito Haruki » Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:38 pm

"Similar, but keep in my I live near the Cliffside Shrine. It's famous for being harsh conditions, even for mountain natives. I doubt you will have 6 months of winter, but you would probably need to consider the distance to the next settlement. Invest in some humming bulb arrows before you are posted there; they make the greatest difference when danger comes up and you need reinforcements or for someone to meet you half way."

Utaku Ichiro

Post by Utaku Ichiro » Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:29 am

"I shall have to keep that in mind. Thank you for the advice Kaito-san. So, if cooking is due to training and duty what is your personal passion? What do you hope for your future?"

Description

Kaito Haruki

Post by Kaito Haruki » Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:48 am

"I'll figure that out once I know my place as an adult, there are too many options right now. I might grow into cooking as a passion, I might have to travel as a magistrate. Regardless though, my duty to my clan will be my passion." Another stand catches Haruki's eye, filled with various metal devices. They look to be gold, but more orange in color. Strange.

(OOC stuff made from copper like the astrolabe)

Utaku Ichiro

Post by Utaku Ichiro » Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:51 am

"Always an honorable intention. They are lucky to have such a dutiful son then." He peers over the various trinkets.

Description

Kaito Haruki

Post by Kaito Haruki » Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:27 am

A metal tube with glass on either side catches Haruki's attention. "That is a strange design for a decoration, it's narrow on one end and it's too small to be seen unless you are up close. I assume it is more functional then?"

(Ooc, looking at a copper spyglass)

Utaku Ichiro

Post by Utaku Ichiro » Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:32 am

"Ah yes, I've seen an Ide caravan make use of one though I never got to try it first hand. You put the narrow piece to the eye."

Description

Kaito Haruki

Post by Kaito Haruki » Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:00 am

"I assume the context was to help see further ahead, interesting. I assume if the glass is damaged the whole device is ruined. How hard would it be to repair?"

Utaku Ichiro

Post by Utaku Ichiro » Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:35 am

"I'm afraid you have me at a loss there Kaito-san. I know that it isn't magic but it might as well be when it comes to my understanding of it." He takes another look at the spyglass, "The tube doesn't look special so I imagine the glass pieces are the important part. But looks can be deceiving."

Description

Kaito Haruki

Post by Kaito Haruki » Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:52 pm

"Doesn't look to be too hard to do, but you would need to be in town to have the right tools to fix it. Oh well, Isao-san could you take care of this?" The servant does some haggling, gets a final price of 2 koku, and transfers the money from Haruki's extended fingers to the merchant.

Utaku Ichiro

Post by Utaku Ichiro » Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:27 am

Ichiro can't help but watch the strange ritual with some amusement. Some Rokugani customs still made no sense to him even if he did try to abide by them.

Description

Kaito Haruki

Post by Kaito Haruki » Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:29 am

"Anything at this stand catch your eye? There's so much here and it all seems new to me."

Utaku Ichiro

Post by Utaku Ichiro » Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:37 am

Ichiro reaches out to, but does not touch, a palm sized circle of copper containing a number of intricate parts.

"I know that this is rare. What was the name again... sitar... sitara yab. I think that is it. A 'star taker' though I do not quite understand what that means or how it is used."

(OOC: Astrolabe)

Description

Kaito Haruki

Post by Kaito Haruki » Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:50 am

"With all those fiddly bits, it would probably take a bit of time to use it correctly. That combined with how small it is . . . I'm guessing it's used for sea travel, navigation perhaps?" The merchant nods and offers an explanation if you buy it.

Return to “Little Khanbulak”