A Touch of Home (D1, EE, Open)

Utaku Ichiro

A Touch of Home (D1, EE, Open)

Post by Utaku Ichiro » Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:16 pm

He had spent almost a month in Dragon lands following the gempukku ceremonies and naadam back home. While a wanderer at heart, and thus not given to homesickness, Ichiro would be lying if he said there were not things he missed of his homeland. As such, once he had unpacked his meager belongings and taken a late lunch the young Utaku found himself wandering through the closest facsimile. It did not hold a candle to the real thing, of course, but he could find some enjoyment in familiar sights, sounds, and smells.
Unicorn • Bushi • Experienced • Enlightened • Ascetic • Heroic Muse
Honor: What is Expected • Status: 2.0 • Glory: 5.2 • Infamy: 0.5 • Topaz Points: 229

Gear in Tsuma: Poorly sized purple and ivory utilitarian travelling clothes, charred gold scarf, daisho, jade
Outside Tusma: Unicorn riding horse, riding armor, scimitar, daisho, ono, han-kyu and arrows, jade
Description

Before the thunder can roar the lightning must strike

Kaito Haruki

Re: A Touch of Home (D1, EE, Open)

Post by Kaito Haruki » Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:25 pm

Considering that the markets here sell gaijin things but are ran by Rokugani, this would be one of the rare chances to get foreign wares with no clan having an excuse to accuse Haruki of wrong doing (hopefully). As such, he goes to Little Khanbulak after setting his things away, meeting with old friends ,and saying his prayers at the temples. A servant of the Phoenix clan follows him closely, a little book and quill in hand, taking notes about what all can be found here for official business later.
Proper full name is Isawa Kunio of House Kaito: Bushi,Courtier Mons: Chest: Phoenix R Shoulder: Isawa L Shoulder: Kaito Honor: 6.1 Glory: 4.9 Status: 2 Wound Status: Healthy Phoenix Clan TP: 224
Water Bottle, Coin Purse, Fan, Jade Finger

Utaku Ichiro

Post by Utaku Ichiro » Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:46 am

Spotting the Phoenix Ichiro raised a hand in greeting then offered a polite bow. His manners would still be rough by courtly standards but he had learned much in their time at the Ruby Champion's dojo.

"Hail and well met Kaito-san!"
Honor: What is Expected • Status: 2.0 • Glory: 5.2 • Infamy: 0.5 • Topaz Points: 229

Gear in Tsuma: Poorly sized purple and ivory utilitarian travelling clothes, charred gold scarf, daisho, jade
Outside Tusma: Unicorn riding horse, riding armor, scimitar, daisho, ono, han-kyu and arrows, jade
Description

Kaito Haruki

Post by Kaito Haruki » Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:13 am

"Well met indeed, I assume you are going to Little Khanbulak? It's been too long since we last met. I assume your clan has kept you busy as well?"
Proper full name is Isawa Kunio of House Kaito: Bushi,Courtier Mons: Chest: Phoenix R Shoulder: Isawa L Shoulder: Kaito Honor: 6.1 Glory: 4.9 Status: 2 Wound Status: Healthy Phoenix Clan TP: 224

Utaku Ichiro

Post by Utaku Ichiro » Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:51 pm

"Indeed they have, hence my desire to spend some time in Little Khanbulak. Most of the past month I have been in Dragon lands and a touch of home would feel welcome even if only a small one."

Description

Kaito Haruki

Post by Kaito Haruki » Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:53 pm

"Great, then could you show me around? It's not every day you get to find material you've never worked with."

Utaku Ichiro

Post by Utaku Ichiro » Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:12 pm

"It is my first visit as well so I can't be much of a guide I fear but perhaps I can spot things that might go unobserved. What sort of materials do you normally work with?"

Description

Kaito Haruki

Post by Kaito Haruki » Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:24 pm

"I personally work with food mostly, but I'm certain Isao-san can keep track of whatever we find just in case I want to dabble in other arts later." He looks around a find a cart showing off various dried fruit and nuts. "How about we start with that vendor?"

Utaku Ichiro

Post by Utaku Ichiro » Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:51 pm

Ichiro nods and moves to examine the wares.

He gestures to some dried fruit, "These may be of interest. They mainly grow around the Pillar of the Sky, before the Sands begin proper, though I believe the Ide have found some success at growing them within the empire. They are called figs - very sweet and somewhat earthy."

Description

Kaito Haruki

Post by Kaito Haruki » Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:45 am

Haruki takes a bite, not expecting all the juices. "For something so earthy, it still has a lot of juice. I assume this is more of a summer fruit?"

Utaku Ichiro

Post by Utaku Ichiro » Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:55 am

Ichiro rubs his chin before nodding, "I suppose one could say that. Though the Pillar of the Sky sees normal, if extreme, seasons, the Sands suffer under eternal heat. They are quite popular there from what I understand along with dates."

Description

Kaito Haruki

Post by Kaito Haruki » Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:11 am

"I presume those nuts are organized by kinds? They all have different shapes and seem so small compared to the fruit."

Utaku Ichiro

Post by Utaku Ichiro » Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:28 am

"I am not as well acquainted with nuts." He looks over those on display, "I know many have been brought by the Mantis from the islands."

He skips over hazel nuts as those most Rokugani would know. Gesturing to some small, oblong seeds, "These I know - they come from a type of pine. Rich and oily, sometimes a little bitter though."

Description

Kaito Haruki

Post by Kaito Haruki » Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:38 am

"Are they edible raw, or do they need to be processed first?"

Utaku Ichiro

Post by Utaku Ichiro » Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:42 am

"They can be used either way though the bitterness seems more common with raw than with cooked."

Description

Kaito Haruki

Post by Kaito Haruki » Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:46 am

(OOC, we talking walnuts here?)

"I've been looking for ways to add a little bitterness to things. Did you know just like there are five elements, there are five basic tastes: salty, sweet, sour, bitter, and umami?"

Utaku Ichiro

Post by Utaku Ichiro » Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:20 am

(Pine nuts)

Ichiro's head cocked slightly to the side, "I never thought about it like that but I suppose it makes sense. The balance of the elements is in all things after all."

Description

Kaito Haruki

Post by Kaito Haruki » Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:28 am

"Is this typically incorporated into a sauce?"

Utaku Ichiro

Post by Utaku Ichiro » Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:49 am

"They have many uses. I have seen them in a sauce, as a snack on their own, baked into bread, and used to top sweets."

Description

Kaito Haruki

Post by Kaito Haruki » Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:11 am

"And in what environment do the trees grow?"

Return to “Little Khanbulak”