(Day 1, EM) A Meeting On The Road

Vutall

(Day 1, EM) A Meeting On The Road

Post by Vutall » Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:03 am

As a group of candidates traveling to Tsuma for the Topaz Championship approach the town, they find their path into the city blocked. On their right, the river flows swiftly, anyone trying to enter it being caried away from Tsuma by the strong current. To the left is a dense and overgrown section of woods, making any movement through it extremely difficult and sure to ruin their clothing.

In the road, a large cart full of goods has turned over onto its side and a tired, weary looking older peasant man sits next to it, clearly looking exhausted and overworked.
This is a Limited Event. Only 6 players may participate. If you have participated in a limited event this session, you must wait 24 real life hours after this event is unlocked to participate.

This event is a Roleplaying event. Please post once and wait for all other characters to post including the GM before posting again
Trickling down while we're dying of hunger.

Kaito Haruki

Re: (Day 1, EM) A Meeting On The Road

Post by Kaito Haruki » Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:36 am

Haruki tries his best to hide evidence of his status, but the swords are too bulky and the bow on his back can't be hidden no matter how hard he tries. So as he approaches, he looks concerned for the man, but observes and waits before approaching.
Proper full name is Isawa Kunio of House Kaito: Bushi,Courtier Mons: Chest: Phoenix R Shoulder: Isawa L Shoulder: Kaito Honor: 6.1 Glory: 4.9 Status: 2 Wound Status: Healthy Phoenix Clan TP: 224
Water Bottle, Coin Purse, Fan, Jade Finger

Matsu Qiang

Post by Matsu Qiang » Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:42 am

"Eh, what's this?" said a young man in Lion colors as he approached the overturned cart. His clothes were sturdy but not rich looking; a traveler's pack was slung over one shoulder and a wooden sword was at his side. "Something wrong, grandfather?" he asked.
Lion Clan • Competitor • Crab Hands • Strong • Betrothed
Status 1.0 • Glory 5.3 • Exceptional Honor

Isawa Tanshin

Post by Isawa Tanshin » Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:47 am

Tanshin was traveling with Haruki. Tanshin had made a name for himself by helping the common folk, and was eager to le d aid.
Still, he kept an eye to the wooded area nearby.
Tanshin approaches the Lion and the old man.
AKA Isawa Saiguren 最紅蓮
Phoenix Clan * Shugenja * Hero of the People
Honor: Exceptional 🐲 Status: 1.0 🐲Glory: 3.0 🐲 Topaz Points: 317 (Day 6)
Wears: Robes, Prayer Beads, Travelling Pack
Carries: Sturdy Walking Staff (Bo)

Miya Wyn

Post by Miya Wyn » Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:56 am

Another traveler also approaches the road block. He is dressed in a jingasa and strawcloak, and seems to be in good spirits. A horse follows him sedately. He takes a few moments to access the situation "Are you ok sir?"
Last edited by Miya Wyn on Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Imperial Family * Artisan * Courtier * Benton's Blessing * Short * Idealistic * Prodigy
Dojo Points: 104 | Status 1.5 | Glory 6.0 | Honor: Above Question
| Topaz Points: 166
Equipment: Kimono, Ink Brush Kit, Journal, Several Scrolls

Yasuki Ginkarasu

Post by Yasuki Ginkarasu » Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:11 pm

Ginkarasu throws up his hands and starts running. "Oh man! Your cart's over turn! Let's get that sorted! What happened?"
Crab Clan • Bushi • Yojimbo • Disfigured • Profile • Fire Brigade
Honor: What is Expected • Status: 1.0 • Glory: 3.7 (2.7 w/Crabs) • Infamy: 1.0 • Topaz Points: 209
Gear: Sturdy Clothing, sandals, coin purse, water bottle, small knife, map of Tsuma
“Strive for progress, not perfection.”

Kaiu Aiichiro

Post by Kaiu Aiichiro » Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:13 pm

Upon hearing Ginkarasu, he looks up to see more students and a fallen heimin, accompanying him.
◘ Crab Clan ♦ Bushi/Artisan ♦ ProfileJournal ♦ UTC -4 ♦ Rolls List Status | 2.0 ♦ Glory | 3.5 ♦ Topaz Points | 208
Health › Healthy (15) ♦ Honor › What is expected.
Carry › Sturdy clothing, sandals, haori, finger of jade, war fans, water bottle, fan, coin bag, 1 koku and 10 zeni.
Mons › Back: Crab Clan | Left shoulder: Kaiu | Right chest: Personal mon

Vutall

Post by Vutall » Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:41 pm

Seeing the group of samurai approach, the old man quickly went from resting against his cart to having his face pressed to the ground, prostrated the n a deep bow.

“A thousand pardons, samurai-sama. I was on my way into town when a strong gust of wind overturned my cart. If you would wait a moment, I will clear the road shortly”

As the man speaks, another gust of wind blows a piece off paper and what appears to be a letter lands at the feet of Isawa Tanshin.

When the gust is over, there is an interesting shimmer that passes over the river, and it almost seems like something is there, standing on the water surface

Isawa Tanshin

Post by Isawa Tanshin » Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:59 pm

Tanshin removed the paper that had wrapped around his ankle and took a moment to read its content.

He shifted uncomfortably as the man was prostrate before him. He would ask the man to rise, but looking at the company about him, he thought better of it for the moment.
AKA Isawa Saiguren 最紅蓮

Yasuki Ginkarasu

Post by Yasuki Ginkarasu » Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:37 pm

Ginkarasu dips his head. "I'm Yasuki Ginkarasu, and it's my future duty to help people cross the empire. I would like to help Grandfather."

He glances at the water. Nah, can't be.
Honor: What is Expected • Status: 1.0 • Glory: 3.7 (2.7 w/Crabs) • Infamy: 1.0 • Topaz Points: 209
Gear: Sturdy Clothing, sandals, coin purse, water bottle, small knife, map of Tsuma

Kaito Haruki

Post by Kaito Haruki » Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:49 pm

"This cart isn't going to move itself. Allow me to help Ginkarasu-san." Haruki then moves over to the cart and gets a good look at the peasant, trying to see if there's anything to indicate who he serves.
Proper full name is Isawa Kunio of House Kaito: Bushi,Courtier Mons: Chest: Phoenix R Shoulder: Isawa L Shoulder: Kaito Honor: 6.1 Glory: 4.9 Status: 2 Wound Status: Healthy Phoenix Clan TP: 224

Miya Wyn

Post by Miya Wyn » Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:55 pm

The Imperial smiles, one eye watching the Lion, "It's not your fault the Kami have decided to be playful today, please rise. Do you need some water, are you well?"
Imperial Family * Artisan * Courtier * Benton's Blessing * Short * Idealistic * Prodigy
Dojo Points: 104 | Status 1.5 | Glory 6.0 | Honor: Above Question
| Topaz Points: 166
Equipment: Kimono, Ink Brush Kit, Journal, Several Scrolls

Matsu Qiang

Post by Matsu Qiang » Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:19 pm

"The wind blew your cart over?" Qiang asked, eyeing the peasant a little skeptically. How strong a wind would it take to do that?

"Well, it looks like you'll be able to get your cart moving again soon," he commented as the others moved to set things right. "I'll just have a look around in the meantime, eh?"

It didn't seem likely to Qiang that the old man was the leader of a gang of bandits, but he knew that his teachers would be disappointed if he didn't at least entertain the possibility. So the young Lion did a quick patrol of the perimeter, looking for anything amiss. Something about the river seemed odd? Had he seen something there?

-
Quick look around: Day 1 Meeting on the Road, what's going on here? PER/Investigation: 9d10o10k4 25

Kaiu Aiichiro

Post by Kaiu Aiichiro » Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:38 pm

He nodded and noticed the shining over the river, but does not go to investigate as the Lion did exactly that. He had his suspicions, though he did not want to make them verbal in case it was a test of some sorts.
"Who do you serve?"
He approaches the cart and looks what was the damage the cart suffered. Sensei told him he lacked compassion. This was the opportunity to train it.
◘ Crab Clan ♦ Bushi/Artisan ♦ ProfileJournal ♦ UTC -4 ♦ Rolls List Status | 2.0 ♦ Glory | 3.5 ♦ Topaz Points | 208
Carry › Sturdy clothing, sandals, haori, finger of jade, war fans, water bottle, fan, coin bag, 1 koku and 10 zeni.

Vutall

Post by Vutall » Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:28 am

The paper Tanshin holds reads:

"You have often told me you are a better father to my children than I am. I can only hope the Fortunes bless you—or curse you—with children of your own one day, that you could see the true challenges of fatherhood.” It appears to be addressed to the writer’s brother-in-law, Kakita Toshimoko

Hearing the offer for help, the peasant looks completely astounded and prostrates himself even lower.

"I am not worthy of such assistance, Yasuki-sama, Isawa-sama. You are most compassionate!"

And the offer from Wyn, the mans eyes tear up, clearly overwhelmed by the kindness he is being shown.

"I am quite fine, Miya-sama, thank you."

As Qiang investigates the surroundings, nothing seems out of place. That is, except for the ghostly figure of a man standing on top of the water, looking at the scene.

To Aiichiro, he responds reverently and with the fondess of speaking of a dear friend:

"I was honored to be the servant of Doji Satsume, the great Emerald Champion who enforced the law across the Empire. But sadly, my master died some weeks ago. Now I bring his personal effects to his brother-in-law, Kakita Toshimoko. Toshimoko-sama is the honored head of the Kakita Dueling Academy in Tsuma."

Yasuki Ginkarasu

Post by Yasuki Ginkarasu » Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:38 am

"Aiichiro-sama, do the wheels and frame look like they're take the weight when we put it upright?" Ginkarasu is listening, but the servant's words only make it seem more imperative that they get the cart back on track.

Kaiu Aiichiro

Post by Kaiu Aiichiro » Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:39 am

A servant of the evil in disguise would probably get Toshimoko's surname right, but nevertheless the heimin did not answer the wind question. It made good for crabs to have paranoia. He looked to Ginkarasu. "I will see it soon."
"Take care of this whilst I see if the wagon is damaged." He says, untying the jade finger from his arm and handing it over to the peasant. Then he analyzed the wooden structure.

Isawa Tanshin

Post by Isawa Tanshin » Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:18 am

"I do not believe that ordinary wind was to blame for the mishap, Kaiu-san. I believe someone is sending a message."
Tanshin holds out the note for any to see and take.

"I believe that we are in the presence of the author."
Tanshin bowed at the waist to the figure on the water.
AKA Isawa Saiguren 最紅蓮

Kaito Haruki

Post by Kaito Haruki » Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:25 am

"If one paper flew out of the cart, it is possible more did as well. Those documents could be important, do you need something to hold them in while we do an inventory check?"

Matsu Qiang

Post by Matsu Qiang » Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:39 am

Isawa Tanshin wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:18 am
"I believe that we are in the presence of the author."
Tanshin bowed at the waist to the figure on the water.
"I... had thought ghosts could not abide running water," the Lion commented, attempting to conceal his startlement at encountering this apparition. "Do you truly believe this could be the spirit of the Crane lord? It seems a dire portent, if so."

Qiang turned back to the old peasant. "How did your master die?" he demanded. "Did he have some... unfinished business, that might tie his soul to this plane?"

Return to “Outskirts”