Critiques/Feedback/Suggestions 2

Public GM questions concerning New Winds Part 2
Vutall

Critiques/Feedback/Suggestions 2

Post by Vutall » Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:00 pm

Due to a discussion on Discord, the Kuni Purifier School has had the following rules added to it as part of its Technique.

-Due to their unique training, Kuni Purifiers may not take Multiple Schools to enter any other Shugenja or Bushi school, and no Bushi or Shugenja may take Multiple Schools to become a Purifier.Additionally, when you select this school, please note Bushi or Shugenja
--If you select Shugenja, you do not gain the Bushi discounts for Advantages or increases for Disadvantages, and may not buy Kata.
--If you select Bushi, you do not gain the Shugenja discounts for Advantages or increases for Disadvantages, and you may not buy Kiho (Essentially rendering Friend of the Brotherhood mechanically useless)
Trickling down while we're dying of hunger.

Iuchi Prashant

Re: Critiques/Feedback/Suggestions 2

Post by Iuchi Prashant » Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:55 am

Just out of curiosity - is the intent here to prevent them from getting both Kata and Kiho?

And if so - is there a reason you thought why that might be potentially game breaking? I mean, I tend not to see that as such a big deal, as it would mean spending quite a bit of XP for the abilities, and I don't remember any obvious interactions between these abilities that might make things go out of hand... But I haven't looked for those interactions thoroughly, and I may be missing something obvious :D
Adult name: Iuchi Prashstam
Unicorn Clan * Shugenja/Artisan * "Pu-ra-what?" * Ascetic * Friendly smile * Monk-y

Honor: Exceptional * Status:1 * Glory:2.9 * Infamy: 0.5 * Topaz Pt: 211 (End D5)
Items: Purple/gray robes, sandals, trinket satchel, copy of the Tao, stone with 'cup' kanji.
Description Pt2
Theme
Speaking in Tegensai
Speaking in Ujik

Kaito Haruki

Post by Kaito Haruki » Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:02 am

It's a piece of advice regularly given in the book, sure we don't have a specific example just yet, but the designers didn't build with this in mind and it's better to be safe than sorry.
Proper full name is Isawa Kunio of House Kaito: Bushi,Courtier Mons: Chest: Phoenix R Shoulder: Isawa L Shoulder: Kaito Honor: 6.1 Glory: 4.9 Status: 2 Wound Status: Healthy Phoenix Clan TP: 224
Water Bottle, Coin Purse, Fan, Jade Finger

Utaku Ichiro

Post by Utaku Ichiro » Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:16 am

The concern some raised was that it gave them access to spells, kiho, kata and, under the new rules, simple attacks as well.
Unicorn • Bushi • Experienced • Enlightened • Ascetic • Heroic Muse
Honor: What is Expected • Status: 2.0 • Glory: 5.2 • Infamy: 0.5 • Topaz Points: 229

Gear in Tsuma: Poorly sized purple and ivory utilitarian travelling clothes, charred gold scarf, daisho, jade
Outside Tusma: Unicorn riding horse, riding armor, scimitar, daisho, ono, han-kyu and arrows, jade
Description

Before the thunder can roar the lightning must strike

Doji Kotomi

Post by Doji Kotomi » Sat Jul 25, 2020 1:53 am

As they were previously they had access to:

Kata
Kiho
Spells
Every discount for bushi (and any bushi-only advantages)
Every discount for Shugenja (and any shugenji-only discount)
Simple action attacks

They had access to everything, which was unbalancing
Crane Clan * Duelist * Prodigy * Smart * Smug * Better than Kazuko * Not very Courteous * Profile
Equipment: Better quality clothes, Umbrella, mirror, Daisho/No-dachi/Light armour where allowed

Kaiu Aiichiro

Post by Kaiu Aiichiro » Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:05 am

I must say the new crafting rules are great. GJ.
◘ Crab Clan ♦ Bushi/Artisan ♦ ProfileJournal ♦ UTC -4 ♦ Rolls List Status | 2.0 ♦ Glory | 3.5 ♦ Topaz Points | 208
Health › Healthy (15) ♦ Honor › What is expected.
Carry › Sturdy clothing, sandals, haori, finger of jade, war fans, water bottle, fan, coin bag, 1 koku and 10 zeni.
Mons › Back: Crab Clan | Left shoulder: Kaiu | Right chest: Personal mon

Kokyou

Post by Kokyou » Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:35 am

Since this happened to Kokyou on the Bar Fight, I think it would be good to have it clarified for future reference.

The Jiujutsu skill says the following:
“...Jiujutsu can be used as a Weapon Skill, rolling Jiujutsu / Agility against an opponent's Armor TN to hit and rolling a number of dice equal to your Strength, keeping one for damage (so if you had Strength 3, you would roll 3k1 damage for an unarmed attack). Jiujutsu is also used for initiating and maintaining Grapples. The Improvised Weapons Emphasis allows you to use almost anything you can get your hands on to increase your capacity to inflict damage. The GM is the final arbiter of what damage a particular improvised weapon inflicts, but generally it should grant additional rolled or kept dice, but not both.“
Since the Mantis Bushi does have Improvised Weapons as an Emphasis, it would be good to have a better definition if it is considered unarmed damage, or not, since it is a Jiujutsu based attack.
Mantis • Bushi • Shugenja • Jock • Charismatic • Dashing • Buff • Stud • Proud • Smug • Hero • Unique
DescriptionTheme • Honor: A Soul Above Question • Status: 2.0 • Glory: 6.1 • Infamy 1.0

TN to be recognized: 15
Wears: Sturdy Clothing, Coin Purse, Pipe, Fan
Combat: Light Armor, 2 Kama, 2 Tanto

Bayushi Kaidan

Post by Bayushi Kaidan » Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:42 pm

This is a suggestion for future games. Add a day for tying loose ends. Concluding the game on a climax day feels incomplete. I understand not wanting to do it for scheduling issues but read this out. An RPG is sort of like an open ended story. So... we have an introduction... Day 1 we got the celebration. Presenting the conflict the Tea Visitation. The twists and complications on the main plot... it was nice. The Climax was Day 7... and then...what is the conclusion? The Gempukku Ceremony felt empty... what happened to Hitoshi? Will Toshimoko accept the Mantis? Will Doji Mushikage feel safe now? Will the Scorpion and the Lion will be now in unfavorable ground with the Crane because they won Courtier and the Iai competition?

What about individual plots? Some people don't feel compelled to play a post game day but if there is one extra day for conclusion of personal stories and plot makes it feel a bit more complete.

I am sorry if this looks like a rant... it is not... it is just a suggestion. =P
Chosen Name: Bayushi Gakihiro
♦ Scorpion ♦ Bushi ♦ Androgenous ♦Hated by Ghosts ♦Hates Frogs ♦Random Samurai #46 ☆Insensitive ☆Wanderer ☆Silent ☆Dr. Antidote ☆Experienced 1
Only wears the Scorpion Mon
Honor: Untrustworthy Status: 1 Glory: 1
Cat:Ninya
"I wear many mask, none is me"

Return to “New Winds Part 2 Questions”