Serenading the Carp (Closed)

Otomo Nobuko

Serenading the Carp (Closed)

Post by Otomo Nobuko » Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:52 am

As promised, Nobuko sent the servants of the dojo to assist Ginkarasu in finishing his chores early. This meant that about ten minutes after he started they had completely taken over and insisted that Otomo-sama was waiting for him. He could, of course, stay to oversee the job and make sure it was finished properly, which would mean he met up with Nobuko about twenty minutes later. Or he could go and not keep the Otomo waiting.

Either way: when he did arrive, she was already sitting with her koto in front of her in a room that was not unused, but was rarely used at the current hour.
Imperial * Artisan * Courtier * Different School * Enlightened * Sacrosanct * Beautiful Soul * Experienced
Honor: Exceptional | Status: 3.5 | Glory: 4.5 | Final Topaz Points: 249
Beautiful Clothing, Fan, Gloves, Wicker Umbrella, Personal Chop, Knot of Happiness Netsuke, Bejeweled Lizard-Shaped Ear Cuff on Left Ear

Yasuki Ginkarasu

Re: Serenading the Carp (Closed)

Post by Yasuki Ginkarasu » Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:01 am

He split the difference and arrived 15 minutes later, having taken his time figuring out which shiny rock to bring, with the extra time they'd given him.

He bows, hoping he's not too late!

"Hi!"
Crab Clan • Bushi • Yojimbo • Disfigured • Profile • Fire Brigade
Honor: What is Expected • Status: 1.0 • Glory: 3.7 (2.7 w/Crabs) • Infamy: 1.0 • Topaz Points: 209
Gear: Sturdy Clothing, sandals, coin purse, water bottle, small knife, map of Tsuma
“Strive for progress, not perfection.”

Otomo Nobuko

Post by Otomo Nobuko » Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:03 am

She had settled into something of a not-quite meditative state prior to his arrival and his entrance brought her out of it. Nobuko lifted her head and smiled gently, then gave a shallow bow, "Yasuki-san. Hello. Thank you for joining me."
Imperial * Artisan * Courtier * Different School * Enlightened * Sacrosanct * Beautiful Soul * Experienced
Beautiful Clothing, Fan, Gloves, Wicker Umbrella, Personal Chop, Knot of Happiness Netsuke, Bejeweled Lizard-Shaped Ear Cuff on Left Ear

Yasuki Ginkarasu

Post by Yasuki Ginkarasu » Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:25 am

"Otomo-sama! You're welcome, and thank you for inviting me! Is it proper to give a gift to a musician before or after they play, when they are hosting you for a private performance?" He asks.
Honor: What is Expected • Status: 1.0 • Glory: 3.7 (2.7 w/Crabs) • Infamy: 1.0 • Topaz Points: 209
Gear: Sturdy Clothing, sandals, coin purse, water bottle, small knife, map of Tsuma

Otomo Nobuko

Post by Otomo Nobuko » Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:02 pm

"That depends on the manner of the performance and the performer. If it is a private audience arranged for someone of great importance, the gift is the performer having the opportunity to display their skill before them. If it is between friends, it depends on the nature of the friendship."

Nobuko gestured for him to seat himself, "If you wish to offer a gift before we begin, I will be happy to hear your offer."

Yasuki Ginkarasu

Post by Yasuki Ginkarasu » Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:57 am

He finds a seat and then offers up the shiny rock.

"I'm a big fan of shiny rocks like this one. Or rocks you can use to skip across water. When you said you'd spent all that time training with the Crane, I thought you might like it."

Otomo Nobuko

Post by Otomo Nobuko » Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:29 am

"It is a lovely rock, very beautiful in its state between natural and shaped. But I cannot accept. To deprive you of something you have spent time and effort to add to a collection you have surely curated with much thought would be to deprive the very arts themselves of a budding muse," she refused, the first of two.

Yasuki Ginkarasu

Post by Yasuki Ginkarasu » Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:42 am

"Oh."

He thinks for awhile. "That was well said."

A look to the koto, and then back up to Nobuko. "I'd like to honor the hours of effort and training in your art, by sharing something the Earth made. Earthquake Fish Bay has unique geology and this came from close to my home."

Otomo Nobuko

Post by Otomo Nobuko » Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:06 am

"To gift something so close to your heart and home to one who is but a passing acquaintance seems too much when there are things far less personal that would better suffice. I cannot accept knowing the stone serves to remind you of your home." She refused a second time, the flattery coming easily.

Yasuki Ginkarasu

Post by Yasuki Ginkarasu » Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:45 am

He bowed his head at her words and stayed lower for a second while he thought.

"Oh!"

He smiles, remembering how Nobuko had found commerce distasteful, so he didn't fall back on the gifts being an exchange between them.

"But if it's better to think of a friend then a rock, and when I see the rocks of my home and wonder what happened to this one, how much better would it be to wonder at the well being of a friend who has it?"

Otomo Nobuko

Post by Otomo Nobuko » Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:46 pm

A bright smile parted her lips and she didn't bother bringing it under control as she clapped, "Well said, Yasuki-san! In that case, I would be happy to accept so that you might think fondly of me in your travels. And that I might think fondly of you as well."

Yasuki Ginkarasu

Post by Yasuki Ginkarasu » Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:19 am

He sits upright, proud from her words of praise.

"I'm glad!"

Otomo Nobuko

Post by Otomo Nobuko » Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:42 am

She reached out and took the stone, moving it to one side so that it would not interfere with her instrument. Then she returned her hands to her lap and looked at the Yasuki, "Are there any songs you've been told about - from the courts - that you would like to hear? If I know it, I will attempt my best to play it for you with grace and skill. If not, I will play another that fits the feel of the music you desire."

Yasuki Ginkarasu

Post by Yasuki Ginkarasu » Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:50 am

He shakes his head briefly. "I've no idea what they play in the courts. Sorry."

Otomo Nobuko

Post by Otomo Nobuko » Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:16 am

"There is no need to apologize," she replied, setting her hands over the koto. "Your training has kept you from much of the arts. Perhaps you will get more opportunities to experience them after your gempukku. For now...

She began with a something more traditional, a classic one might hear played in the background of many a court when music was needed but attention was not wanted to be drawn to it, and then shifted something a bit faster - though no less traditional. Songs that took skill, but were still well known as music that students were taught early on.

-----
OOC
D8 Monkey Perform: Koto/Awareness: 5d10o10k3 21

Yasuki Ginkarasu

Post by Yasuki Ginkarasu » Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:57 am

He doesn't know where to look during the performance, so closes his eyes to better hear it and not be anxious about where to look.

Otomo Nobuko

Post by Otomo Nobuko » Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:08 am

When she finished, she looked up to find Ginkarasu's eyes closed. Her own widened and her brows rose.

"Ah... Yasuki-san? Usually you are supposed to keep your gaze on the performer so you might better appreciate their form and technique. Or critique it," she said, keeping her tone gentle. "The sound is not the only part worth paying attention to."

Yasuki Ginkarasu

Post by Yasuki Ginkarasu » Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:17 am

He blinks, "Oh! I wasn't sure! It was very exciting, and critiquing seems hollow. I've already said I don't know courtly music and so could only compare it to things it does not compare to."

Otomo Nobuko

Post by Otomo Nobuko » Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:20 am

"Critiquing is an art form in and of itself. It can be done rudely... or it can be done as a game. Kakita-san was to speak with you about Sadane, was she not?"

Yasuki Ginkarasu

Post by Yasuki Ginkarasu » Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:09 am

He nods briefly at that. "Hai. Though I expect she's become busy and forgotten. They had a Go tournament they were helping run."

Return to “Monkey”