Event: The Hirosaka Go Tournament

Utaku Nesrin

Re: Event: The Hirosaka Go Tournament

Post by Utaku Nesrin » Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:34 am

The smooth stones were terribly satisfying to handle and clack upon the board. So despite coming to the game with no experience, Nesrin enjoyed her matches and beginning to see the outlines of strategies.

(+ for a win, - for a loss, will edit as they come in for ease of reading)

-Bayushi Jiro 8
Tie toritaka Sasaiko 10
-Miya Wyn 8
+Kaiu Aiichiro [ur=https://orokos.com/roll/826040l]17[/url]
+Yasuki Ginkarasu 12
-Utaku Ichiro 12
-Iuchi Prashant 11
-Kaito Haruki 7

2 wins
5 losses
1 tie
Last edited by Utaku Nesrin on Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Unicorn Clan * Bushi * Battle Maiden * Honest and Fair * Hard to pronounce name
Honor: A Soul Above Question * Status: 1 * Glory: 3

Description

"Every day is a journey, and the journey itself home" -Bashō
Speaking Tegensai

Bayushi Jiro

Post by Bayushi Jiro » Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:16 pm

It turns out that for someone who has never touched a Go board before, or so he professes, Bayushi JIro is not half bad at this.

Hirosaka Go Tournament rolls

Kaiu Aiichiro: 21 [loss] Aiichiro was just too amazing for even the wily Scorpion.

Toritaka Sasaiko: 23 [Win]

Miya Wyn: 22 [Win] A rather successful game against the Miya, who found fate working against him this time.

Yasuki Ginkarasu: 18 [Win] As with a couple other players, Ginkarasu had his best game against Jiro, but the Scorpion managed to scratch out a victory from a position of weakness in the end.

Utaku Nesrin: 18 [Win] A respectable, well-fought game.

Utaku Ichiro: 26 [Win] Jiro felt a little weird about his performance in this game, so he did his utmost to be sporting. Certainly he wished he had pulled out these kinds of stops against Aiichiro or Haruki. Ah, well. Such is life.

Iuchi Prashant: 15 [loss] Jiro's worst game came against one of the best players. Oddly, he didn't feel as crushed as during the game against the Kaiu, but game recognized game. Prashant was plain brilliant.

Kaito Haruki: 18 [loss] A painful one. It seemed mere mind games were not enough with this one.

4 wins, 3 losses. Mid-range performance.
Last edited by Bayushi Jiro on Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
* Scorpion Clan * Courtier * Rich Baritone * Twin * Terminally Pretty * Adult Name: Bayushi Tomohiro
Honor: Untrustworthy, Infamy: 1, Status: 2, Topaz Points: 254

Wearing: a lovely scarf, wakizashi, extravagant clothing This mask

Toritaka Sasaiko

Post by Toritaka Sasaiko » Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:36 pm

Edited to add fluff.

Sasaiko is unsure how to proceed, really, though she acquits herself decently enough.

She accepts her losses with grace and extends the same to those she beats.

v. Aiichiro, TN 15, tied at 15, https://orokos.com/roll/826236
v. Haruki, TN 10, won at 14, https://orokos.com/roll/826238
v. Ichiro, TN 7, won at 9, https://orokos.com/roll/826239
v. Wyn, TN 17, lost at 6, https://orokos.com/roll/826240
v. Ginkarasu, TN 1, won at 9, https://orokos.com/roll/826241
v. Prashant, TN 30, lost at 14, https://orokos.com/roll/826242
v. Nesrin, TN 10, tied at 10, https://orokos.com/roll/826243
v. Jiro, TN 23, lost at 6, https://orokos.com/roll/826244

3 wins
2 ties
3 losses
Last edited by Toritaka Sasaiko on Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Toritaka Noriko
Falcon * Phantom Hunter (Shug)
S 2.0 * G 2.1 * H As Expected

On-site: robes, sandals, and scroll satchel and scrolls, Seppun blade, Miya-made map of Tsuma; might have money
Off: the above + loaded traveling pack

Kakita Kenji

Post by Kakita Kenji » Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:46 pm

"It looks like we have some equally good go players in the preliminary round. I ask you to play your ties again and find a winner." Kenji announced, drawing attention to Sasaiko, Nesrin, Aiichiro and Prashant
Crane Clan | Bushi & Artisan | Your friendly&idealistic neighbourhood Samurai | UTC +2 | Profile
Honour: Exceptional | Status: 2.0 | Glory: 5.0 | Infamy: 1.0 | Topaz Points: 95
Gear: Sturdy Clothing, Sandals, Travelling Pack

"You own every word you speak" - Shinsei

Toritaka Sasaiko

Post by Toritaka Sasaiko » Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:04 pm

Bidden play again by the tournament host, Sasaiko sits down with the opponents she had ties previously.

Rematch v Aiichiro, 14, https://orokos.com/roll/826255
Rematch v. Nesrin, 11, https://orokos.com/roll/826256
Toritaka Noriko
Falcon * Phantom Hunter (Shug)
S 2.0 * G 2.1 * H As Expected

On-site: robes, sandals, and scroll satchel and scrolls, Seppun blade, Miya-made map of Tsuma; might have money
Off: the above + loaded traveling pack

Kaiu Aiichiro

Post by Kaiu Aiichiro » Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:06 pm

◘ Crab Clan ♦ Bushi/Artisan ♦ ProfileJournal ♦ UTC -4 ♦ Rolls List Status | 2.0 ♦ Glory | 3.5 ♦ Topaz Points | 208
Health › Healthy (15) ♦ Honor › What is expected.
Carry › Sturdy clothing, sandals, haori, finger of jade, war fans, water bottle, fan, coin bag, 1 koku and 10 zeni.
Mons › Back: Crab Clan | Left shoulder: Kaiu | Right chest: Personal mon

Kakita Kenji

Post by Kakita Kenji » Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:20 pm

(Since the top 4 are clear I prefer to advance this event a bit)

"I am pleased to announce that Kaito Haruki-san, Bayushi Jiro-san, Kaiu Aiichrio-san and Iuchi-san are allowed to enter the semi-finals. In the next round Kaito Haruki-San Bayushi Jiro-San and Kaiu Aiichiro-san Iuchi-san will meet. I am looking forward to a good game"
Playing in the semifinals:

Kaito Haruki against Bayushi Jiro

and

Kaiu Aiichiro against Iuchi Prashant

Please make one Roll of Go/Intelligence against each other.

For anyone wondering
Crane Clan | Bushi & Artisan | Your friendly&idealistic neighbourhood Samurai | UTC +2 | Profile
Honour: Exceptional | Status: 2.0 | Glory: 5.0 | Infamy: 1.0 | Topaz Points: 95
Gear: Sturdy Clothing, Sandals, Travelling Pack

"You own every word you speak" - Shinsei

Kaiu Aiichiro

Post by Kaiu Aiichiro » Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:31 pm

◘ Crab Clan ♦ Bushi/Artisan ♦ ProfileJournal ♦ UTC -4 ♦ Rolls List Status | 2.0 ♦ Glory | 3.5 ♦ Topaz Points | 208
Carry › Sturdy clothing, sandals, haori, finger of jade, war fans, water bottle, fan, coin bag, 1 koku and 10 zeni.

Kaito Haruki

Post by Kaito Haruki » Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:52 pm

D8 rooster: go/intelligence untrained, contested vs Bayushi Jiro: 3d10 18

"Good game, was fun while it lasted."
Last edited by Kaito Haruki on Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Proper full name is Isawa Kunio of House Kaito: Bushi,Courtier Mons: Chest: Phoenix R Shoulder: Isawa L Shoulder: Kaito Honor: 6.1 Glory: 4.9 Status: 2 Wound Status: Healthy Phoenix Clan TP: 224
Water Bottle, Coin Purse, Fan, Jade Finger

Bayushi Jiro

Post by Bayushi Jiro » Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:36 pm

Go/Intelligence=21

Jiro played the long game with Haruki and stole a win at the last possible moment.
* Scorpion Clan * Courtier * Rich Baritone * Twin * Terminally Pretty * Adult Name: Bayushi Tomohiro

Utaku Nesrin

Post by Utaku Nesrin » Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:23 am

The tied game was a surprise. Nesrin came close, but lost the tiebreaking game in the end.

https://orokos.com/roll/826400 10

Description

Speaking Tegensai

Iuchi Prashant

Post by Iuchi Prashant » Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:46 am

Prashant was actually very pleased with his tied game against the Kaiu - a very fun and challenging game. The Tie Breaker between them was equally challenging, but he managed to conquer a victory by a mere few stones at the very end.

His warm smile turned to almost a laugh when Kenji announced the rounds for the SemiFinals and he bowed to the Crab again for another game. Not that it was uncomfortable at all - in fact, with a third game in sequence, it seemed almost as if he was playing an old friend.

The game was once again a hard one - but a fun one, at least for Prashant. Both gave it their best, and had learned from the previous games and their own mistakes. In the end, however, the Unicorn managed to pull of some Ko feints, and had a slightly more comfortable win than he had in the second game.

After the game, he bowed slightly lower than usual to the Kaiu. "Kaiu-san, it has been a great pleasure to have you as my partner for three games today. I barely gave games any thought before coming here... but they gave me much to think about, even more to respect about my opponents. And perhaps acquaintances whose memory I may carry forward as those of a friend. Doumo arigatou gozaimasu".

OOC
Day 8 Rooster - Games Go/Int - Tie Breaker vs Kaiu Aiichiro - unskilled: 4d10k4 20

Day 8 Rooster - Games Go/Int - SemiFinal vs Kaiu Aiichiro - 1VP for +1k1; unskilled: 5d10k5 25
Adult name: Iuchi Prashstam
Unicorn Clan * Shugenja/Artisan * "Pu-ra-what?" * Ascetic * Friendly smile * Monk-y

Honor: Exceptional * Status:1 * Glory:2.9 * Infamy: 0.5 * Topaz Pt: 211 (End D5)
Items: Purple/gray robes, sandals, trinket satchel, copy of the Tao, stone with 'cup' kanji.
Description Pt2
Theme
Speaking in Tegensai
Speaking in Ujik

Utaku Nesrin

Post by Utaku Nesrin » Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:52 am

Very obviously not advancing, which was expected, Nesrin settles to the side to cheer on Prashant... um, quietly since this doesn't seem to be a shouting kind of game like buzkashi.

But she totally hopped up to clap him on the back in congratulations and pass him her lucky stone for the finals.

Description

Speaking Tegensai

Kaito Haruki

Post by Kaito Haruki » Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:54 am

Haruki joins the sidelines after losing to Jiro-San, "shame my luck ran out now".
Proper full name is Isawa Kunio of House Kaito: Bushi,Courtier Mons: Chest: Phoenix R Shoulder: Isawa L Shoulder: Kaito Honor: 6.1 Glory: 4.9 Status: 2 Wound Status: Healthy Phoenix Clan TP: 224
Water Bottle, Coin Purse, Fan, Jade Finger

Kakita Kazuko

Post by Kakita Kazuko » Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:02 am

Playing in the finals:

Bayushi Jiro versus Iuchi Prashant

Please make three rolls of Go/Intelligence against each other. In the case of any ties, the winner will be whoever has the greater difference in rolls. If there is still a tie then roll one more time. (hopefully there shouldn't with 3 rolls though)
"Bayushi Jiro-san and Iuchi Prashant-san advance to the finals! The student Go master of Hirosaka shall be decided after this match!"
Crane Clan | Bushi | Profile | Way Better than Kotomi
Honor: Exceptional | Status: 1.0 | Glory: 2.4 | TP: 252 (ty oleanderpoison!)
Equipment: Daisho/Light Armor where allowed, Fancy Clothes, Expensive Crane Hairpin (5 koku) and Earrings (2 koku), Fan

Yasuki Ginkarasu

Post by Yasuki Ginkarasu » Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:58 am

"Yay Go players! Pick the right space!" Ginkarasu yells out in support of the players.
Crab Clan • Bushi • Yojimbo • Disfigured • Profile • Fire Brigade
Honor: What is Expected • Status: 1.0 • Glory: 3.7 (2.7 w/Crabs) • Infamy: 1.0 • Topaz Points: 209
Gear: Sturdy Clothing, sandals, coin purse, water bottle, small knife, map of Tsuma
“Strive for progress, not perfection.”

Bayushi Jiro

Post by Bayushi Jiro » Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:55 am

Jiro clearly had some issues with the limelight. It was a common thing among the Scorpion, to choke when the spotlight was entirely on them. In any case, his first game was just pitiful.

Games: go=6

His second game was decidedly average for a player of his ability: which was to say, artless, unskilled, but still relatively wily. Hopefully it would be good enough!

Games: go=18

Because his third game was a little under-average. It looked like it was Prashant's game to lose, rather than Jiro's game to win.

Games: go=16

Kaiu Aiichiro

Post by Kaiu Aiichiro » Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:44 am

Iuchi Prashant wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:46 am
Prashant was actually very pleased with his tied game against the Kaiu - a very fun and challenging game. The Tie Breaker between them was equally challenging, but he managed to conquer a victory by a mere few stones at the very end.

His warm smile turned to almost a laugh when Kenji announced the rounds for the SemiFinals and he bowed to the Crab again for another game. Not that it was uncomfortable at all - in fact, with a third game in sequence, it seemed almost as if he was playing an old friend.

The game was once again a hard one - but a fun one, at least for Prashant. Both gave it their best, and had learned from the previous games and their own mistakes. In the end, however, the Unicorn managed to pull of some Ko feints, and had a slightly more comfortable win than he had in the second game.

After the game, he bowed slightly lower than usual to the Kaiu. "Kaiu-san, it has been a great pleasure to have you as my partner for three games today. I barely gave games any thought before coming here... but they gave me much to think about, even more to respect about my opponents. And perhaps acquaintances whose memory I may carry forward as those of a friend. Doumo arigatou gozaimasu".

OOC
Day 8 Rooster - Games Go/Int - Tie Breaker vs Kaiu Aiichiro - unskilled: 4d10k4 20

Day 8 Rooster - Games Go/Int - SemiFinal vs Kaiu Aiichiro - 1VP for +1k1; unskilled: 5d10k5 25
Aiichiro bowed at the same height. Prashant was not only skilled but also kind of heart. Those two things deserved respect. "I can say similar toward our games, Parashianto-san. I hope my memoirs will record of you dearly, and that after the championship we may be reunited again. At a good place at least. It would not be good to meet you again at the barracks of the damned." He bantered a little.

Iuchi Prashant

Post by Iuchi Prashant » Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:21 pm

Prashant keeps bowed as he answers the Kaiu. "May the Fortunes lead us to meeting at a good place, then - and if we do meet in a difficult situation, may the Fortunes help us stand strong against it". He smiles friendly, then proceeds to the finals against the scorpion. He smiles warmly at Nesrin, who stands behind him to cheer him up, and accepts her lucky stone with a hearty "Doumo arigatou wash...er.. Nesrin-san! I hope I do your lucky stone justice"

The first game is hardly the best one played by both Jiro and Prashant so far - either due to their nerves, or to tiredness, both make a number of mistakes, but Prashant manages to find some focus in the end, and beats the Scorpion.

"Thank you for the game, Bayushi-san", he says, and then proceeds to make some friendly, lighthearted comments on his own errors during the game. "I'm looking forward to our next game!", he says, finally, before starting the second game.

The second one is much better than the first - although the Scorpion doesn't seem happy with his own performance, Prash finds it a fun and challenging game. He makes some mistakes, and for some time it looks like it'll be Jiro's game. About halfway through the game, though, Prash manages to pull off a smart Ko feint - coincidentally using Nesrin's lucky stone! In the end, the game ends in a draw.

"Well, it seems it comes to the last game then, Bayushi-san. Let's do our best!"

And that he does. His final game is his best performance in the whole tournament, and after some fierce competition he manages to outdo Jiro and manages a quite good win.

He is clearly quite happy, and perhaps a bit surprised with the victory. He bows low to the Scorpion after the end of the game. "Bayushi-san, thanks for the games. I have learned a lot, and I look forward to playing with you again in the future should the opportunity arise", he says, with a friendly, easy tone.
Utaku Nesrin wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:30 pm
There's a whoop from Nesrin as the last game finishes. "Hooo! Great game, Prashant...um. Iuchi-san!"
He then bows to Nesrin, smiling happily and warmly, and extends his hand giving her back her stone. "Thank you for your support, Nesrin-san!", he says, then a bit more softly - "Kartse ynāñm!". Then more loudly again. "And... thanks a lot for sharing your lucky stone! It has made a difference!"

OOC
Day 8 Rooster - Games: Go/ Int - Final vs Jiri, Game 1. Unskilled: 4d10k4 14 - Prash wins by 8

Day 8 Rooster - Games: Go/ Int - Final vs Jiro, Game 2 . Unskilled: 4d10k4 18 - Aaaaand that's a tie

Day 8 Rooster - Games: Go/ Int - Final vs Jiro, Game 3 . Unskilled. VP for +1k1: 5d10k5 28 - Prash wins by 12 (and his best game in the tournament!)

EDIT: Sorry for the long time to write this. Tough times here IRL... I edited here to add a quote to Nesrin since I noticed only later I had reacted to her in a previous post... shouldn't make much of a difference, but I added the quote just to make sure the reference makes sense : p
Last edited by Iuchi Prashant on Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:20 am, edited 3 times in total.

Utaku Nesrin

Post by Utaku Nesrin » Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:30 pm

There's a whoop from Nesrin as the last game finishes. "Hooo! Great game, Prashant...um. Iuchi-san!"

Description

Speaking Tegensai

Return to “Rooster”