D7, LA, Round 3 - Matsu Qiang vs Iuchi Prashant

Iuchi Prashant

D7, LA, Round 3 - Matsu Qiang vs Iuchi Prashant

Post by Iuchi Prashant » Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:37 am

Prashant walks slowly as he goes towards the ring for the third time in the day, his face friendly and serene. As his opponent appears, he bows respectfully to him, still with that friendly smile on his face.

A non-bushi getting so far in the Iaijutsu tournament was somewhat of a surprise. But the Iuchi showed no fear and no uncertainty. The kami had blessed him twice this day, Ichiro had said. First, and most importantly, by bringing all of his friends and companions alive after the altercation with Sugai and his followers. Second, by bringing him so far into the competition.

If the spirits had taken him there, this was his path to walk. And as Shinsei said - there are but two rules to follow one's path:

Begin and Continue

"Matsu-san. I regret it that we had little chance to know each other better here and in Hirosaka. It is well known that our clans are not always the closest and... I must say I had some doubts about you after that match with Kakita-san." he lowers his head a bit and the smile fades for a moment, as if apologising. "But standing beside you this afternoon has dispelled any doubts that might still remain. It has been a great honour to fight alongside you, Matsu Qiang-san. And a great honour it'll be to face you here."

With that, he bows again and waits for Qiang to set into position to do so as well, his earthy eyes looking straight into the Lion's.

"Ganbatte!!"

OOC
Day 7 LA - Round 3 Duel vs Matsu Qiang. Init: 4d10o10k3 11 - Hoping Orokos doesn't repeat rolls like that after Init :p
Adult name: Iuchi Prashstam
Unicorn Clan * Shugenja/Artisan * "Pu-ra-what?" * Ascetic * Friendly smile * Monk-y

Honor: Exceptional * Status:1 * Glory:2.9 * Infamy: 0.5 * Topaz Pt: 211 (End D5)
Items: Purple/gray robes, sandals, trinket satchel, copy of the Tao, stone with 'cup' kanji.
Description Pt2
Theme
Speaking in Tegensai
Speaking in Ujik

Matsu Qiang

Re: D7, LA, Round 3 - Matsu Qiang vs Iuchi Prashant

Post by Matsu Qiang » Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:07 am

The Matsu’s eyebrow quivered momentarily as Prashant began his speech, but his composure returned after it became clear the Unicorn’s words were well-intentioned.

“The Unicorn fought valiantly on the docks today,” Qiang replied, bowing his head with hands clasped together in respectful acknowledgement. “I am glad my own performance has met with your approval. It will be an honor to face you today.”

Stepping back, the young Lion assumed a dueling stance. To the casual observer, it seemed quite a respectable stance, with the correct, traditional-looking form. A more insightful observer might notice a faint tension in Qiang’s shoulders, hinting at the direction the Lion might move.

Center stance
Day 7 duel with Prashant, initiative REF/rank: 4d10o10k3 12 kata activated
Day 7 duel with Prashant, assessment with no raises AWA/Iaijutsu (Assessment) +kata TN15: 10d10ro1o10k5+5 48 succeeds with 3 exceptional successes
Will ask for: TN to be hit, Void ring, Void remaining, Emphasis
Lion Clan • Competitor • Crab Hands • Strong • Betrothed
Status 1.0 • Glory 5.3 • Exceptional Honor

Iuchi Prashant

Post by Iuchi Prashant » Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:57 am

The Shugenja mirrored the Lion, falling into a stance that was practiced, but not nearly as traditional - to one who knew what to look for, it was clear his pose showed some influence from a foreign fighting style from the mountains to the west of Rokugan.

As in the previous duels, he kept his brown eyes focused directly on his opponent's. He could feel a good deal of Qiang's strengths and weaknesses - but his own were also transparent in his eyes.

OOC
TN 20, Void 4, 1 Void remaining, no emphases

Day 7 LA - Round 3 Duel vs Matsu Qiang, Assessment. Map for +1k0, 1 Raise called, TN 20: 7d10o10k3 37 - 1 Raise, 1 Exceptional success. Asking for Void, Emphases and Void remaining. Still grants Qiang +1k1 for Focus roll though : p

Waiting on your answer before I choose whether or not to bow out, so you can post only the answers if you want to wait before you roll : )
Unicorn Clan * Shugenja/Artisan * "Pu-ra-what?" * Ascetic * Friendly smile * Monk-y

Honor: Exceptional * Status:1 * Glory:2.9 * Infamy: 0.5 * Topaz Pt: 211 (End D5)
Items: Purple/gray robes, sandals, trinket satchel, copy of the Tao, stone with 'cup' kanji.
Description Pt2
Theme
Speaking in Tegensai
Speaking in Ujik

Matsu Qiang

Post by Matsu Qiang » Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:32 am

Qiang cleared all thought from his mind except for studying his opponent. The Iuchi's stance was curious, unconventional to be sure; but with the way his weight was distributed, the Matsu had a good guess as to his likely line of attack.

Qiang’s Void is 4. Emphases are Assessment, Focus and Strike. Void remaining 3.

Iuchi Prashant

Post by Iuchi Prashant » Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:08 am

The Shugenja kept his eyes focused on Qiang's for what seemed to be a long time. His own breathing was calm, his body almost still.

So was the Lion's.

He shifted his gaze from the Matsu's eyes to his hand for one moment. He could see the Bushi's stance was carefully practiced. Looking back to his eyes, he saw the eyes of a beast ready to pounce.

He had no fear, of course. Mountains never learned to fear.

Nor did they learn to step aside - so said Shinsei.

But the little teacher also said: 'Courage is not the chance to challenge fear, but the chance to do what is right'.

Between drawing blades and blood to prove one's mettle and drawing none when none is necessary, he felt he knew what the right path was.

It took a long while, and the Shugenja was the first to move. Not to draw his blade, but to place his hands beside his body and bow low.

"Matsu-san.", he says, his head still low. "Your skills are clearly above mine this day. Thank you for this chance to test myself against you." As he stands again, he is smiling friendly. "May the Fortunes guide your blade, Matsu-san. Perhaps, if one day Fortune gives us another test, I'll have had thechance to raise my skills to your level." It might sound a bit odd, but the last words are said with the same friendly face - perhaps as a challenge to himself, as well as further recognition of Qiang's skill.

He then bows to the judges, waiting for them to confirm the results.

Description Pt2
Theme
Speaking in Tegensai
Speaking in Ujik

Matsu Qiang

Post by Matsu Qiang » Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:23 am

Matsu Qiang tensed as the Iuchi moved, but relaxed once he saw Prashant had dropped out of his dueling stance. Lowering his hands to his sides, the Lion calmed himself and bowed respectfully in turn to Prashant.

"Thank you, Iuchi-san, for honoring me with this match," Qiang said courteously. "Your swordsmanship style is very unusual. If it would not be too much trouble, may I ask who you studied under?"

Iuchi Prashant

Post by Iuchi Prashant » Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:19 am

Slightly surprised at the Lion's question, but still smiling, Prashant answers with a friendly voice - unworried about what the Lion might think about it.

"I've had the chance to take some classes with Utaku and Shinjo Calm Heart duelists visiting the Iuchi lands. But... my first sensei in the art of the sword and the reason I pursue it is my ammaki - ah... my mother, Iuchi Eprete. Much of my style is probably due to her influence."

Description Pt2
Theme
Speaking in Tegensai
Speaking in Ujik

Vutall

Post by Vutall » Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:44 am

Iuchi Prashant is eliminated
Matsu Qiang advances, earns 12 points for a new total of 321
Trickling down while we're dying of hunger.

Return to “Iaijutsu Tournament”