D4:EE The Art of Chill (Open)

Akodo Kichiro

D4:EE The Art of Chill (Open)

Post by Akodo Kichiro » Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:15 am

A letter would find Hitoshi with instruction to meet Akodo Kichiro at the house of the red lotus for a lesson in Go. It expresses an importance for him to do well in the coming event and a desire for him to succeed in the championship. Although just a courtly game, all recognize the Akodo family as the empire's leading strategists in the art of war and this renown proficiency often sends to the game of Go. A lesson first hand from such an Akodo could do some good.

Waiting alone at a table Kichiro sips his tea with an aura of tranquility about himself. The Go board already in place with two jars of black and white pieces set aside. Happily Kichiro continues sipping his tea and enjoying the silence of this place.
Last edited by Akodo Kichiro on Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lion Clan • Bushi • Akodo Commander • Tactician
Honor: Exceptional - Glory: 1.0 - Status: 1.0 - Topaz Points 299 (Please donate a TP point to the needy)

Vutall

Re: D4:EE The Art of Chill (Open)

Post by Vutall » Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:21 am

After enough time has pas where Kichiro may think Hitoshi is not coming, the mantis slumps his way over and gives a bow. He looks exchausted and frustrated.

"Hello, Akodo-san. I hope this evening finds you well?"
Trickling down while we're dying of hunger.

Akodo Kichiro

Post by Akodo Kichiro » Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:58 pm

"Hai it does Hitoshi-san. Have you eaten your rice today?" Kichiro asks the common greeting and gestures towards the cushion opposite to him after returning the bow. His On absolutely strict but voice warm and welcoming.
Honor: Exceptional - Glory: 1.0 - Status: 1.0 - Topaz Points 299 (Please donate a TP point to the needy)

Vutall

Post by Vutall » Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:01 pm

"Indeed, and yourself? Blessed by Inari?"

He takes a seat and rolls his shoulders a a little, stretching and relaxing.

Akodo Kichiro

Post by Akodo Kichiro » Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:15 am

"Yes I have." He replies back waiting for Hitoshi to finish taking a seat. "Are you familiar with the courtly game of Go? An expression of the great Sun Tao's lessons of war it is a favorite among the lion and much of the empire as well. Sure to be highlighted significantly in tomorrow's games event." Kichiro passes forward the jar of white pieces while keeping the black stones for himself.

Vutall

Post by Vutall » Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:35 am

“I know of it, but don’t play much. Difficult to do so on a ship.”

Hitoshi takes the stones and places a finger in the bowl, idly stirring it as the two talk

Akodo Kichiro

Post by Akodo Kichiro » Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:56 am

"The rules are simple. Starting with you, we are to place one piece down at a time with each piece representing a point. The aim is to surround your opponent's pieces to capture them and awarding yourself with an additional point per piece." Kichiro continues on explaining and demonstrating the basics of the game with a strong passion. He encourages Hitoshi to try his hand at playing and coaching him on some basic tactics to lead him to success.

"You see Hitoshi-san we have three separate battles across the field now. The more you dedicate yourself to one the more I might take the advantage else where. There is a lesson to be taken. To understand the bigger picture that it is not three separate but all one whole. To find balance in your attention across the field and aware of how each interaction changes the whole. To bare control of the larger picture and but be consumed only on one part." Kichiro happily teaches the basic. A strange game for those living on the outskirts of the empire sure but simply understanding gives Hitoshi a fighting chance come the games event.

Vutall

Post by Vutall » Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:00 am

"It seems relatively simle enough, though I get that there is a depth of strategy to it. If I am honest, I would rather play Shogi though, as each piece has their own unique moves that I feel represent warfare much better."

Akodo Kichiro

Post by Akodo Kichiro » Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:15 am

There is an eye twitch from Kichiro at Hitoshi's preference of Shogi. A clearly inferior game. He tries his best to hide that small detail and maintain a strict On.

"Ah so you do possess hidden talent. I'm sure Shogi will have some form of representation during the games event if that be your comfort zone. Suppose we should pass the time with pleasant conversation?" Kichiro asks.

Vutall

Post by Vutall » Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:21 am

“We can still play Go, Akodo-San.”

Hitoshi looks a bit apologetic

Akodo Kichiro

Post by Akodo Kichiro » Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:28 am

"Of course. I had hoped to continue while carrying on our conversation." Kichiro takes his turn placing a black stone.

"How have you been holding up? Some of these events have proven to be difficult but its important to remember that we are bound to compassion. To support our peers and push them hard to succeed. Regardless of clan loyalty." Kichiro speaks to his desire for none to fail. Even on the brink of war he does not wish failure on any crane.

Vutall

Post by Vutall » Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:20 am

“I had thought things were going well, but then your Clan’s judge has set me back an insurmountable way”

He sighs and places a stone, seemingly at random.

“Why me? What did I ever do?!”

Frustration creeps into his voice

Akodo Kichiro

Post by Akodo Kichiro » Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:01 am

"I can not speak for my cousin. He is beyond direct reproach and I do not have same rapport as these ruby dojo students." Kichiro shrugs it off in a laid back fashion. "Why you I do not know. As far as I can surmise smallest harm about you is an imbalanced flame to your spirit. Certainly nothing abnormal for those our age. Especially common among my cousins the Matsu." Kichiro places but does not take advantage of Hitoshi's foolish play. He maintains the pace of the game and lets Hitoshi come to terms with his struggles on his own time.

"I will be blunt and say you don't deserve the treatment you are receiving. Hopefully someone admitting that directly brings you some comfort. If you believe the rumors I am far from the only one that believes so. Are far as a direct solution? Retribution? That's out of our hands and beyond our station." Kichiro rests both his hands on the side of the board as if to frame it in view. "Just as I told you those three battles are interlinked and you must focus on the bigger picture, you must also come to terms with your limitations and focus on what you can control. There are larger games being played at this championship between great leaders, between different clans, that we have little control over. We are but yet another small stone on the board."

Kichiro inspects a single stone up towards his eye. "You need to win Hitoshi-san. The odds might be stacked against you but I have faith you can still succeed. You are just a capable as any one in this contest and on our honor we all want to help you cross that finish line. You are not alone."

Vutall

Post by Vutall » Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:03 am

"My greatest skill is Archery. There is no way I can fail there. Hopefully it will be enough of a performance to overcome the setbacks. I do thank you for your words and concern. It helps knowing others can see the plight of not just me, but of those in a Minor Clan who have constantly been stepped on and talked over."

Akodo Kichiro

Post by Akodo Kichiro » Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:53 am

"We are both samurai through and through. The separation of great or minor clan makes no difference in our service to the emerald empire." Kichiro nods his head proudly. "Knock'em dead."

Vutall

Post by Vutall » Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:56 am

"If only that were the truth though, Akodo-san. That is how it should be, after all, a minor clans creation comes from a deed so important that the Emperor deemed a clan be created to handle that duty. But in practice, everyone looks down on the Minor clans, and only those who wear a mon from one of the Seven are taken seriously these days. It is why our lord, Yoritomo-dono, seeks to elevate us to Great Clan status."

Akodo Kichiro

Post by Akodo Kichiro » Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:06 am

"Remember when I said we can only focus on what is within our ability to change? Yoritomo-dono may very well call on you directly to serve that higher ambition and elevate your clan but I think we can both agree that's a bit further out than the present hai? If it as it should be then it is what we should strive for. Our generation's responsibility to lead by example. To live life guided by honor." Kichiro speaks with a reserved criticism of the Mantis's actions. Out on the outskirts proper tradition is way too often discarded for pragmatism.
Last edited by Akodo Kichiro on Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Vutall

Post by Vutall » Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:25 am

Hitoshi is silent as the words sink in. He studies the board and after some time, places a piece to encircle many of the Akodo's.

"I believe I know what you are saying. I must not let these setbacks allow me to fail, then"

Akodo Kichiro

Post by Akodo Kichiro » Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:29 am

"Exactly." Kichiro can't help but smirk briefly as he watches Hitoshi collect the many captured pieces.

Vutall

Post by Vutall » Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:28 am

((I'm drawing a blank how to continue here))

Return to “The House of the Red Lotus”