(D2, EM) Outside the Private Rooms (Open)

Otomo Nobuko

Re: (D2, EM) Outside the Private Rooms (Open)

Post by Otomo Nobuko » Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:31 am

Nobuko's eyes moved to Erina when Kokyou smiled at her and frowned a bit before pushing the bowl of rice in front of the girl a little closer to her to encourage her to eat more. She was being given the privilege of partaking in the morning meal with two samurai. She had no reason not to enjoy the rice in front of her.

Nobuko's attention returned to Kokyou and she took a couple bites before answering him, "I had not exactly considered myself for the position. I know that, historically, there have been some who were not bushi, but the tournament favors those who have the broadest of training. And priests of the kami and the warriors of the courts tend to be more specialized. I would be more than honored if the title fell to me, but it is not my expectation."

A pause, and the somewhat softer, "And it would interfere with my marriage."
Imperial * Artisan * Courtier * Different School * Enlightened * Sacrosanct * Beautiful Soul * Experienced
Honor: Exceptional | Status: 3.5 | Glory: 4.5 | Final Topaz Points: 249
Beautiful Clothing, Fan, Gloves, Wicker Umbrella, Personal Chop, Knot of Happiness Netsuke, Bejeweled Lizard-Shaped Ear Cuff on Left Ear

Vutall

Post by Vutall » Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:38 am

The girl takes the food with a seated bow in thanks.
Trickling down while we're dying of hunger.

Kokyou

Post by Kokyou » Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:42 am

He nods, "Yes. Marriage is an important thing, indeed. The Mantis values greatly, in may forms. We are expected to bring many, many children to serve Clan and Emperor."

After a silent though, he takes a bite of the fried fish. The inn surely had outdone themselves with the level of the food.
Mantis • Bushi • Shugenja • Jock • Charismatic • Dashing • Buff • Stud • Proud • Smug • Hero • Unique
DescriptionTheme • Honor: A Soul Above Question • Status: 2.0 • Glory: 6.1 • Infamy 1.0

TN to be recognized: 15
Wears: Sturdy Clothing, Coin Purse, Pipe, Fan
Combat: Light Armor, 2 Kama, 2 Tanto

Otomo Nobuko

Post by Otomo Nobuko » Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:01 am

"I was not thinking of the fact that children are expected," she said after a few more moments of eating in silence. "They can be expected regardless of position. More that being given the title might cause-"

Her father to reconsider the marriage proposal from Ichrio's family.

"-me to be assigned somewhere outside of where my spouse's home is and make travel and spending time with them difficult."
Imperial * Artisan * Courtier * Different School * Enlightened * Sacrosanct * Beautiful Soul * Experienced
Beautiful Clothing, Fan, Gloves, Wicker Umbrella, Personal Chop, Knot of Happiness Netsuke, Bejeweled Lizard-Shaped Ear Cuff on Left Ear

Kokyou

Post by Kokyou » Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:10 am

Koyou stops eating looking a bit surprised at her comment. An Imperial that valued a relationship more than duty.

He grins nearly devilishly.

"I wasn't raised by my father... directly. As long as you have someone to take care of your children, I think duty is served. Isn't that the pragmatically correct and expected?"
Mantis • Bushi • Shugenja • Jock • Charismatic • Dashing • Buff • Stud • Proud • Smug • Hero • Unique
DescriptionTheme • Honor: A Soul Above Question • Status: 2.0 • Glory: 6.1 • Infamy 1.0

Otomo Nobuko

Post by Otomo Nobuko » Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:17 am

She set her bowl and chopsticks down and folded her hands into her lap.

"It is not about the children, Kokyou-san. I have trained all my life toward a singular goal: to be the exactly the wife my spouse needs me to be, in whatever form that takes. I have been under the expectation that I shall enter my spouse's home and care for it, supporting them and their career while having no other for my own. To be given a posting would create a conflict."

Nobuko didn't quite visibly deflate, but there was a clear melancholy to her next words, "In my efforts towards perfection in role of wife-to-be, I may have become too good in other fields to be ignored by my superiors when consideration for postings and duties take place."

Vutall

Post by Vutall » Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:19 am

"I'm sorry, samurai-sama's, but you speak as if you have no idea who your spouse will be. Do you not have love? How can one marry someone they have never met, or have feelings for?"

Otomo Nobuko

Post by Otomo Nobuko » Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:26 am

Vutall wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:19 am
"I'm sorry, samurai-sama's, but you speak as if you have no idea who your spouse will be. Do you not have love? How can one marry someone they have never met, or have feelings for?"
Nobuko stilled, caught by surprise. She had nearly forgotten Erina was there.

She turned her head just slightly enough that she could be considered to be looking towards the girl and spoke softly, "Marriage is a duty to the clan and family. It is not something one does without due consideration for how the pairing will benefit them. We have love, but to put more weight on it than one's duty and loyalty would be dishonorable. I have met my intended spouse, but as we are still children in the eyes of the clans, I cannot speak of them as my betrothed."

Nobuko softened her expression, "It is not as important for those of your station to marry in such a manner. That you may find love and marriage more often overlapping is a blessing of the Heavens for the place you must have in life."

Kokyou

Post by Kokyou » Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:41 am

"I wouldn't worry about that, if I were you. If the Battle Maidens can have numerous children and still ride about, I am certain that someone of Lady Otomo's skills would find a way to take care of all matters related to duty, serving spouse, Clan and Emperor, as necessary. Planning will be important, though."

He takes another bite and looks to Erina, adding his own point of view, "We try t' learn about our matches 'n find th' thin's we respect. Then slowly love that. If nah, we simply avoid th' thin's we despise. Our marriages are made t' serve th' Emperor in his cause t' guide th' Rokugani in th' way o' th' Heavens. We serve 'im, as ye do us."

Vutall

Post by Vutall » Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:04 am

"Oh. I see."

She goes back to eating her food, thinking to herself quietly.

Otomo Nobuko

Post by Otomo Nobuko » Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:27 pm

"Do not concern yourself with it over much," Nobuko said, afixing a smile on her face and then changing the topic. If the young girl wanted to be involved in the conversation, perhaps a more appropriate subject could be found. She'd start with something simple. "Our invitation is not interrupting your duties to your lords is it?"

Vutall

Post by Vutall » Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:33 pm

"I do not have any duties, samurai-sama. At least, no one has asked anything of my brother or I."

Kokyou

Post by Kokyou » Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:05 pm

Kokyou takes another bite, then raises a finger, correcting her, "Well. He was called yesterday. So, I reckon ye should prepare thin's t' get back t' weavin'. I be sure once yer lords see th' quality o' yer work, they'll praise, 'n ask fer more."

He would handle the passing of some coins to Erina later, so that he does not importune the Imperial with such a trivial matter.

Otomo Nobuko

Post by Otomo Nobuko » Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:11 pm

"If her brother was called to serve, it is more than likely he will not be coming back," Nobuko said, blinking at Kokyou in surprise. "Certainly not to serve as a weaver. Was that why you invited her? So you could assess her abilities? If you are in need of a servant, Kokyou-san, I think one more familiar with ships than with reeds would do you better. A girl like her would have a much easier time in my employ."

Kokyou

Post by Kokyou » Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:20 pm

He shakes his head, smirking, "Pardon, me, Lady Otomo. I wasn't clear. I would be..." Kokyou looks at Erina for a moment, liking the view but not being too overt. Then, he turns to Nobuko, "I would be very happy to have another skilled weaver at the Island of Silk to serve the Mantis. Yet, Erina-chan here belongs to the Crane. I wouldn't dare swoop her from our hosts like that, no. I am merely trying to help, since her brother had to leave so abruptly."

--
D2, EM, Sincerity (Honesty)/Awareness - Vain: 6d10o10k5-3 25

Otomo Nobuko

Post by Otomo Nobuko » Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:51 pm

Nobuko's head titled to the side at the way Kokyou said that. He wasn't being dishonest...

But he was hiding something with his words.

"Perhaps I can petition our hosts, then, to bring her on as a servant in my retinue while we are here for the tournament. Weaving isn't that far from braiding and I will need my hair braided for many of the tasks presented to us," she suggested, then asked, "How long do you think her brother will be gone for? Or have you not been informed of the length of his new position?"

-----
OOC
D2, EM, Contested Etiquette/Awareness: 10d10o10k5 52

Vutall

Post by Vutall » Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:58 pm

The girl just stares at the two, dumbfounded at the proposition of working for them. Her eyes sparkle in hope

Kokyou

Post by Kokyou » Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:59 pm

Glad that his sincerity shielded Erina from any embarrassment, he replies to Nobuko, "I have not been informed of length or position, Lady Otomo. I could get that information later on, as not to bother Erina-chan in her affairs, now that she needs to focus."

Otomo Nobuko

Post by Otomo Nobuko » Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:05 am

Not getting the sense that he was trying to trick her directly in some way, and unwilling to push her friend in such a public setting, Nobuko decided to take him at his word. For now.

"Please do. I would not wish for either Erina-san or her brother to be wondering where the other is or what is happening to them for a prolonged period. Not having word of family is very stressful when you are not used to them being gone," she said, returning her attention to her food.

Almost as an afterthought, she addressed the girl, "As you have said you have no lord to report do directly, once you are finished with your meal, take a bath and dress in something clean and sturdy, then present yourself to the head of servants at the Academy. Tell them your services have been requested by Otomo Nobuko and you are to be given appropriate clothing and directions to my room that you may dress my hair in the mornings and redress it between events at the tournament. This should not interfere with your ability to still spend time gathering the materials for your weaving during the rest of the day."

Vutall

Post by Vutall » Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:18 am

She nods and bows deeply from her seated position

"Thank you, samurai-sama!"

(You pay purchase Servants advantage, once per servant, to represent Chen and Erina for 1xp instead of the usual cost, but must gain permission from the Crane lord, Kakita Toshimoko, before you do)

Return to “The House of the Laughing Carp”