Optional Mechanic Poll: Archery Called Shots

Should we add Archery Called Shots (Part 2 and onward)

Yes
73%
No
27%

Total votes: 30

Vutall

Optional Mechanic Poll: Archery Called Shots

Post by Vutall » Tue May 19, 2020 7:34 pm

In the Book of Air, AEG added the following option for Kyujutsu:

New Rules Options: Called Shots in Archery
Skilled archers in Asian literature and legend (as well as in modern film) are often depicted as engaging in brilliant feats of archery, such as shooting down foes from improbable distances, launching multiple arrows at once, etc. Western legend and mythology also contains similar stories, most famously in the tales of Robin Hood. GMs who wish to emphasize the role of archery in their campaigns may wish to explore options for adding various sorts of “trick shots” and similar maneuvers for archery attacks. Here we offer some basic mechanical guidelines for introducing these ideas into your campaign. In general, the primary method for introducing trick shots into the game is the Called Shot maneuver. Called Shots are often undervalued by players because they do not award intrinsic mechanical benefits in the same way as maneuvers like Extra Damage, Disarm, or Knockdown. However, the lack of specifics also makes Called Shots extremely flexible, and a good GM will encourage players to find creative uses for the maneuver. The following ideas should provide a starting point:

o 2 Raises: Shoot an arrow with a rope attached (such as when trying to get out of a pit, for example).

o 3 Raises: Pin an opponent’s extremity (hand or foot) in place, either to the floor or to a convenient wall, table, or pillar. The opponent takes normal damage but is pinned in place until pulling himself loose (which would probably inflict a small amount of additional damage, such as 1k1). The GM could also rule that the wounded extremity cannot be used effectively, such as by penalizing a character hit in the hand when he uses two-handed weapons, or inflicting the Lame Disadvantage on a character hit in the foot.

o 3 Raises: Shoot someone’s helmet off his head. This might result in a 1-point reduction in Reduction from armor. o 3 Raises: Shoot an object in order to knock it away (e.g. shooting a sword off the table before a ronin can grab it up, for example). o 4 raises: Pin an opponent’s extremity without hitting flesh, such as pinning his sandal to the ground
or pinning his kimono sleeve to the wall. If the opponent is wearing Heavy Armor, this trick shot might require an additional Raise unless the character is shooting an armor-piercing arrow.

o 4 Raises: Pierce another arrow in an existing target (the classic Robin Hood shot).

o 4 Raises: Cut a foe’s forehead so blood gets in his eyes, rendering him Blind until he takes a Simple Action to wipe the blood away. This trick shot would probably require a fleshcutter arrow to be properly effective.

o 5 Raises: Shoot a small or medium weapon out of an opponent’s hand. This is different from the melee Disarm maneuver, which requires a Contested Strength roll and thus clearly cannot be performed with a ranged attack. However, allowing an archer to “auto-disarm” a foe with 5 Raises may be too strong, so a possible alternative is to require the foe to make a Strength roll at, say, TN 20 to hold on to the weapon. This option also allows the archer to call additional Raises to make it harder for the foe to hold on to the weapon.

o 5 Raises: Sever an enemy’s bowstring.

o 5 Raises: Cut the ties on a foe’s armor, causing it to partially fall off. This could reduce an opponent’s Armor TN and/or Reduction from armor by 1 or 2 points—possibly even reducing Heavy Armor to Light Armor for an extra Raise.

o 6 Raises: Shoot an enemy arrow or missile out of the air. This sort of action transcends the normal restrictions of the L5R game mechanics, since there is no “flight time” rule for missile weapons. However, a GM who wishes to encourage a more cinematic approach to archery could allow an archer who is holding/delaying his action for the Round to react to an enemy missile attack by immediately taking his own attack and trying to shoot it out of the air.

It should be noted that introducing these options to the game will increase the power of archery Schools and Paths which provide bonuses to Called Shots (the Tsuruchi Archers, Tsuruchi Master Bowmen, and the Asahina Archers). Also, the various ideas presented above are suggestions, not hard-andfast rules, and the GM should feel free to modify or ignore them as desired to suit the style of his own game.
Trickling down while we're dying of hunger.

Bayushi Jiro

Re: Optional Mechanic Poll: Archery Called Shots

Post by Bayushi Jiro » Tue May 19, 2020 8:44 pm

Codifying Called Shots makes sense to me, because it seems cool, but is a little nebulous and therefore underused.
* Scorpion Clan * Courtier * Rich Baritone * Twin * Terminally Pretty * Adult Name: Bayushi Tomohiro
Honor: Untrustworthy, Infamy: 1, Status: 2, Topaz Points: 254

Wearing: a lovely scarf, wakizashi, extravagant clothing This mask

Vutall

Post by Vutall » Tue May 19, 2020 8:46 pm

I agree, it adds a lot of flavor to called shots. The downside is many of these then prevent you from actually doing damage.

Togashi Minashingo

Post by Togashi Minashingo » Tue May 19, 2020 9:04 pm

The thing is, Rokugani don't aim, so called shots don't really make sense. That is specifically why some of the archery focused schools allow for very specific called shots. This breaks the fiction. After all, The Arrow Knows The Way
Dragon Clan • Bushi • Monk •
Honor: Expected • Status: 0.5 • Glory: 0.5 • Dojo Points: 0
Gear: Student Clothes in green and gold, sandals.

Vutall

Post by Vutall » Tue May 19, 2020 9:15 pm

Yeah, called shots definitely break the fluff. Only Naga and Gaijin aim really. Tsuruchi does grant a bonus to Called Shot though (even though the description is so silly), so maybe some schools do it, but I feel like limiting it to just a school defeats the point of adding a new, big rule.

Ikoma Shizuru

Post by Ikoma Shizuru » Wed May 20, 2020 12:28 am

I personally find the "Rokugani don't aim" part of the fluff pretty stupid, so I have to give this a +1. If you're good with a bow, there is simply no reason for you not to be able to make Called Shots with it. It can provide some interesting opportunities for archers and doesn't impede other players, so I think it's a net benefit.

EDIT: As an addendum to this, I offer these suggestions for balancing:
For one, I definitely wouldn't allow archers to automatically disarm people with called raises. I think a TN of 15 is reasonable, because it means that it's easier to resist than a standard Disarm maneuver.

Also, I wouldn't allow archers to shoot missiles out of the air or cut bowstrings. That supernatural level of talent seems unreasonable for a Called Shot.
Ikoma Shizuru, Lion Clan, Courtier, Profile
Honor: Untrustworthy | Status: 0.5 | Glory: 0.5 | Dojo Points: 0
Gear: Student Clothing, Sandals

Soshi Shiso

Post by Soshi Shiso » Wed May 20, 2020 4:33 am

I'm ok with this.
Scorpion Clan | Courtier | Sacrosanct | Artisan | Cartographer | Prankful | Adventurous | Distracted

Ikoma Mikazuki

Post by Ikoma Mikazuki » Wed May 20, 2020 6:47 am

Togashi Minashingo wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 9:04 pm
The thing is, Rokugani don't aim, so called shots don't really make sense. That is specifically why some of the archery focused schools allow for very specific called shots. This breaks the fiction. After all, The Arrow Knows The Way
Vutall wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 9:15 pm
Yeah, called shots definitely break the fluff. Only Naga and Gaijin aim really. Tsuruchi does grant a bonus to Called Shot though (even though the description is so silly), so maybe some schools do it, but I feel like limiting it to just a school defeats the point of adding a new, big rule.
Rokugani "not aiming" is based on instinctive archery traditions. You can aim, you just don't use sighting techniques as other bowmen, using your arrow, a created sight, or other object to influence where to point the bow. You point the bow how you instinctively feel from years of practice, and you loose it according to your instincts as well. This is still present in modern-day Kyudo.

Surely the Arrow Knows The Way to where I want it to hit, too, if we keep it strictly spiritual! Archers are a big part of Japanese history, and them being able to perform great feats with a bow is absolutely within the fluff, in my opinion. If the arrow knows the way, it is not incapable of landing hits on specific locations on any body, right? I'm sure if I did some digging, I'd even be able to find times in Rokugani history where this was done.
Ikoma Mikazuki, Lion Clan, Bushi
Honor: Untrustworthy | Status: 0.5 | Glory: 0.5 | Dojo Points: 0
Gear: Student Clothing, Sandals, Fan, Small Knife & Whetstone, Wide-brimmed Straw Hat

Mirumoto Masuyo

Post by Mirumoto Masuyo » Sun May 31, 2020 1:52 am

Minor spoiler for phoenix novella(little to do with plot):
Two Kaito participate in a targeted kyujutsu contest, pointing at targets and doing various feats. They ask help from the kami in performing the feats, but they themselves aim. The contest ends when one loses the favor of the kami and despite aiming fails.

Now the Kaito school appears to be based around archery and kami so one might ignore this reference. Except, the Shiba mentions they too have such an archery contest tradition among the rest of the Phoenix. One calls a shot, then the second must make the same shot. They call it the Bowman's Wager.

So by this I would guess 'the arrow knows the way' is preferred, but there is a level of skill in targetting if situations arise that need it.

In terms of hitting specific targets on the body, Unicorn novella mentions this from horseback is possible in terms of the area of the heart. That I won't give more details as it is plot-related. Pretty large area though, comparitive to some examples given and probably also needs a riding skill check.

Simple general areas on a body, various fruit on a tree, etc. Sure. Things like bowstrings, splitting arrows.... leave these feats to the Tsuruchi and the Kaito. Schools that specialize in doing fancy things with the bow. I will try to find more fluff examples so people can weigh in.
Dragon Clan * Monk * Tattooed! * Daredevil * Ascetic
Equipment: Hakama and chest wrap, two jade fingers, two worn books, parchment and charcoal

Kaito Kai

Post by Kaito Kai » Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:34 pm

As a likely beneficiary of this, I vote yes.
Phoenix Clan • Miko (Monk) • Fortunate • Pacifist • For Something Greater • A Bit Odd
Honor: What Is Expected | Status: 2.0 | Glory: 2.6 | Topaz Points: 34
Gear: Priests Robes, Sandals, Fan, Divination Tools, Yumi

Moto Ichiro

Post by Moto Ichiro » Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:46 pm

Yeah I dont think called shots break the fiction. They still aim just in a different way. The arrow knows the intention, so the arrow know the way.
Unicorn Clan • Moto • Large • Confident * bushi
Honor: As Expected | Status: 2.0 | Glory: 3.2
Gear: Sturdy Clothing, Animal hide cloak

Zurui lizard pet TP: 254
speaking: Ujik, Mekhem, Senpet

Bayushi Kaidan

Post by Bayushi Kaidan » Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:07 pm

I think if it is for something that is not an instant kill shot, should be allowed. These I think they are fair and alright. Even though aiming is not a Rokugani thing, the spiritual aspect can be reflected as stated above.
Chosen Name: Bayushi Gakihiro
♦ Scorpion ♦ Bushi ♦ Androgenous ♦Hated by Ghosts ♦Hates Frogs ♦Random Samurai #46 ☆Insensitive ☆Wanderer ☆Silent ☆Dr. Antidote ☆Experienced 1
Only wears the Scorpion Mon
Honor: Untrustworthy Status: 1 Glory: 1
Cat:Ninya
"I wear many mask, none is me"

Utaku Ichiro

Post by Utaku Ichiro » Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:03 pm

Yeah I always read 'not aiming' as non-ballistic archery (hence adding yomanri for gaijin in early editions). It's that you're not taking the course of turns to angle and adjust your shot before taking it (though to be fair neither did most western style archers outside of siege situations but I digress). Fancy arrow tricks still works and makes sense and fluff or not there will always be players trying or wanting to make them so codified is good.
Unicorn • Bushi • Experienced • Enlightened • Ascetic • Heroic Muse
Honor: What is Expected • Status: 2.0 • Glory: 5.2 • Infamy: 0.5 • Topaz Points: 229

Gear in Tsuma: Poorly sized purple and ivory utilitarian travelling clothes, charred gold scarf, daisho, jade
Outside Tusma: Unicorn riding horse, riding armor, scimitar, daisho, ono, han-kyu and arrows, jade
Description

Before the thunder can roar the lightning must strike

Vutall

Post by Vutall » Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:36 pm

This poll closes in roughly 16 hours. As of now, we will NOT use the Archery Called Shot rules. (Did not reach 75% Yes)

Vutall

Post by Vutall » Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:43 am

Poll closed. We will not be using this rule.

Return to “Closed Polls”